Photo

Day 74: Sustaining the Facade

Posted by intrepidshe , in Healing Work 22 February 2014 · 217 views

Feb. 22, 2014 (3 Days Into Becoming):

Today I volunteered at an event in my community. I had a sort of reverse dissociation experience with it. I was more conscious of the inner me (the me who is still tired, who hasn't gotten enough sleep or sufficient nutrition for the last week) than I was of the external me. But, I was able to still BE that external me. I was able to laugh, to be organized, to listen to others. In large part that's because the people I was with are my coworkers and we have a natural repartee.

I was conscious of this superficial me, but more aware of the deeper me. I was focused on how to maintain the façade, to protect my privacy.

Several people asked how I am doing. They were concerned because I was out sick for the last three days. It was hard to answer their questions. I hadn't planned on being asked and didn't have rehearsed responses at the ready. I said I would tell them about it later.

I have been thinking since then about what I will tell them.

In situations like this I find some version of the truth to be most effective. It's easier to sustain and will align with future events.

I decided to tell them that I have some complications with my health that are proving challenging to treat. I have a chronic immune response for which my doctor is trying to find the cause and determine the treatment. This is completely true. It is enough to explain my being ill and my need to go to the doctor. It is enough to satisfy curiosity and avoid going into the other issues that are the real reason I have been sick.

I think subconsciously I must have wanted to tell them. Otherwise, I would already have thought through the possibility of being asked about my absence from work. But, when I thought about it in the moment, I knew I didn't want to tell them. There is too great a potential cascade effect. I have no idea what they might do with the information.

Despite this small moment of concern, the day went well. I was able to be present and not experience anxiety while at the event. Although I couldn't shut down my internal turmoil, I was able to have those feelings at the same time I was engaging in society.

I am still very tired from the insomnia. I suppose if I don't sleep well tonight I'll have to call my therapist, as I promised I would.

I don't see the point really.

What's she going to do for me?

All she can do is tell me to do that things I already am doing.

But, I recognize it doesn't matter what I imagine she can do, or if all she does is reiterate what I already know. My intention is to be in this healing process and take the steps on the path. One of these steps might be calling her, even through I don't see how it could help.

I love this post. The state if being present and aware - and yet the inner turmoil runs simultaneously - almost as if two pieces of music are playing at the same time. You have beautifully articulated my daily life in this lovely but if writing. It is so relieving to read a struggle that so echoes my own - and saddens me that this is our reality. Yet your strength and courage shine through - and if that is true for you- it forces me to accept that it must be true for me too. Thank you for writing this - it helps me.
You did well answering, having not rehearsed a response. Calling your therapist may or may not help, but as you said that's not the point. The point is your commitment to stay on the path, and that is your commitment to yourself. It all counts.
Photo
intrepidshe
Feb 23 2014 06:48 PM

I love this post. The state if being present and aware - and yet the inner turmoil runs simultaneously - almost as if two pieces of music are playing at the same time. You have beautifully articulated my daily life in this lovely but if writing. It is so relieving to read a struggle that so echoes my own - and saddens me that this is our reality. Yet your strength and courage shine through - and if that is true for you- it forces me to accept that it must be true for me too. Thank you for writing this - it helps me.

Mand, I love that metaphor of two pieces of music running simultaneously. That's exactly it!

Photo
intrepidshe
Feb 23 2014 06:52 PM

You did well answering, having not rehearsed a response. Calling your therapist may or may not help, but as you said that's not the point. The point is your commitment to stay on the path, and that is your commitment to yourself. It all counts.

Lua, I value the affirmation. I will sort out with her the rules about communication and then I'll worry less about it, I think. But, keeping the commitment is paramount, indeed.

About Intrepid She

This is a moderated PUBLIC blog. This blog is a therapeutic tool I am using to help me get over my fear of doctors (which is made difficult by a history of abuse by them) to learn to grieve, and ultimately to integrate my dis-integrated heart.

View postings specific to health care.

View postings specific to touch.

View postings specific to crying.

The content of this blog is not appropriate for children or for anyone who might be triggered by reading about sexual abuse.

To the many others walking your own version of this path, I wish you well on your journey. -Intrepid

More Healing:

- Framed and Unashamed

- Yarnfoolishness' Journal

- Susanna's Blog

- What's Inside my Head?

- Healing Resources

Search My Blog

Contact Me Outside Pandys

I can be reached by email at a Gmail account based on my userid here in Pandys. I'm sure you can piece it together. I won't enter the address here because of bots that read email addresses from screens. I really don't want spam. But I wanted people outside of Pandys to be able to reach me.

July 2016

S M T W T F S
171819202122 23

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.