Photo

Day 63: Important Discovery from Rage

Posted by intrepidshe , in Healing Work 11 February 2014 · 85 views

Feb. 11, 2014 (Countdown Part II: 2 days to gynecologic exam):

I had a very "normal" work day today. I was my usual friendly, encouraging, hard-working self. Oddly enough, twice today several people spoke about me to others right in front of me. They described me as always being so light hearted, always being a beam of joy. One person said, "Her office is the most fun place on site." Another person said, "When I'm working with them they can make really difficult tasks almost fun." That got a big laugh because the tasks we help others with involve a lot of complex, tedious decision making. It's not the kind of work anyone actually enjoys.Posted Image

After such a day I would imagine coming home in a good mood, feeling appreciated and valued. And, I did feel that way. But, I also had an undercurrent . . . just beneath my awareness. And, below that undercurrent was another one: deep, dark, and bordering on savage.

The upper level was anxiety. It's to be expected. I have accepted the symptoms it produces for me. I'm becoming practiced at coping with it. I still get bowled over by it, but I am starting to be OK with it.

The second layer, I wasn't really prepared for, or ready to accept. Underneath the anxiety was a current of rage, like lava underneath the skin of the earth along a volcano. But, it was flowing deeply beneath the surface. Or, perhaps my consciousness was miles away from the volcano. I wasn't aware of the flow beneath my feet. That is, until I got home and sat down to work on a project. I suddenly went from little miss sunshine to foaming rage monster. I had a problem with my computer and ended up punching my desk after cursing at it. I felt impotent. I hurt my knuckles (scraping and bruising them).

In the back of my mind I heard that 'still small voice' saying, "tell someone." Not to keep sliding down the SI pathway. So, I took a moment to post a status here in Pandy's. I then turned back to my work. I sat there contemplating the blood on my hand, and then my vision went out in my right eye. When that happens it is usually a warning I'm about to pass out. I've had some pretty serious injuries and surgeries from passing out.

Right at that moment I had a PM from a member here. The person asked if I needed to talk.

That message of compassion, of outreach, of caring caused me to stop and take a deep breath. It caused me to think clearly for a moment: "What should I say?"

I realized I needed to change locations and work from bed. That way, if I did pass out I wouldn't fall and injure myself. I realized I did want to talk. I needed to talk.

After I got situated in bed we PM'd. As I prepared to write, I thought about what had triggered me. Why rage? I expect to be experiencing anxiety right now. But, why rage? The answer came out as I wrote. It helped me so, so much to say it and to see the words. As I got the words out, the emotion started to calm down.

I learned something really important today from this experience.

My SI is about not having a way to express rage.

If I express it, it releases. It really does release! It's a matter of being able to express it to someone who knows what's going on with me. Someone who isn't judging me or needing strength from me. I knew I could tell the complete truth to my Pandy's friend. I would be understood. I wouldn't be told I was hysterical or exaggerating.

Thank you friends!

I'm so glad. You do so well, everyday, figuring out more things, taking care of you, putting more pieces into place. And I hope you really soaked in those wonderful things your co workers said about you.
Photo
yarnfoolishness
Feb 12 2014 12:32 PM

You're doing great.

I'm still with you for the count down.  You're incredibly brave, and I think your doctor has been and will be very respectful of you.

Photo
intrepidshe
Feb 12 2014 11:23 PM

I'm so glad. You do so well, everyday, figuring out more things, taking care of you, putting more pieces into place. And I hope you really soaked in those wonderful things your co workers said about you.

You're doing great.

I'm still with you for the count down.  You're incredibly brave, and I think your doctor has been and will be very respectful of you.

Thank you. Tomorrow I want to just let it be what it is. Let my reactions be what they are. And let myself land where I do.

Thanks for being with me. I will lean into you all to get through. Thank you!

Photo
yarnfoolishness
Feb 13 2014 12:31 PM

Still here!  :metoyou:

About Intrepid She

This is a moderated PUBLIC blog. This blog is a therapeutic tool I am using to help me get over my fear of doctors, which is made difficult by a history of abuse by them, to learn to grieve, and ultimately to integrate my dis-integrated heart.

View postings specific to health care.

View postings specific to touch.

View postings specific to crying.

The content of this blog is not appropriate for children or for anyone who might be triggered by reading about sexual abuse.

To the many others walking your own version of this path, I wish you well on your journey. -Intrepid

More Healing:

- Framed and Unashamed

- Yarnfoolishness' Journal

- Susanna's Blog

- What's Inside my Head?

- Healing Resources

Search My Blog

July 2014

S M T W T F S
20212223 24 2526

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.