Preparing for the Gynecologic Exam (Updated 2/3/14)

Posted by intrepidshe , in Healing Work, Gynecology 30 January 2014 · 223 views

Jan. 30, 2014, and Feb. 3, 2014
While I still have this in mind, I want to use this post to keep track of ideas for the physical exam.
  • I need to voice how I'm feeling as I enter the exam room.
  • Maybe I can ask them to remind me I am safe and I'm not in that room where it happened.
  • I think I really want the doctor to tell me she promises I'm safe and she won't hurt me or let anyone hurt me. I think I need to hear those words.
  • I need to be sure I have my asthma inhaler because sometimes getting scared causes me to have an asthma attack.
  • I need to have a plan for what to do if I cry. I never cry. But, what if I did?
  • What to do about the crinkling paper? That was really triggering for me.
  • I need to be sure to ask her to examine the right lower quadrant pain I experience.
  • I also need to mention the itching in my breast.
  • I need to tell her about the right-sided pain that's always there and to be very, very careful on that side.
  • I need to tell her about the symptoms I had when I came back from an expedition, and the symptoms I have had since then.
  • I need to tell her about having many sexual partners through my twenties.
  • I should talk to the doctor about experiencing arousal. I need to hear from her that she will respond appropriately. By that, I mean she will stop touching me. We'll need to define our terms about what arousal is like for me. I know there will be lubrication, that's healthy and normal. But, anything beyond that will be the boundary I will need her to respect.

Jan 30 2014 10:15 PM

About the wrinkling paper...

Could the doctor cover the table with a cloth sheet instead of the paper?  It seems a small thing that could possibly help a lot.

Jan 30 2014 10:19 PM

It's ok if you cry. Just bring some tissues. :cuppa:

Jan 30 2014 10:25 PM

Great idea about using fabric instead of paper. I'll ask! You're a genius!

I am going to tell myself it's OK to cry. God if I did it would be the first time I cried over what happened to me.

About Intrepid She

This is a moderated PUBLIC blog. This blog is a therapeutic tool I am using to help me get over my fear of doctors (which is made difficult by a history of abuse by them) to learn to grieve, and ultimately to integrate my dis-integrated heart.

View postings specific to health care.

View postings specific to touch.

View postings specific to crying.

The content of this blog is not appropriate for children or for anyone who might be triggered by reading about sexual abuse.

To the many others walking your own version of this path, I wish you well on your journey. -Intrepid

More Healing:

- Framed and Unashamed

- Yarnfoolishness' Journal

- Susanna's Blog

- What's Inside my Head?

- Healing Resources

Search My Blog

Contact Me Outside Pandys

I can be reached by email at a Gmail account based on my userid here in Pandys. I'm sure you can piece it together. I won't enter the address here because of bots that read email addresses from screens. I really don't want spam. But I wanted people outside of Pandys to be able to reach me.

October 2015

4 5678910

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.