Photo

working on getting back to fiction writing

Posted by bluebutterfly , 07 July 2013 · 103 views

I've been working lately with setting manageable goals so that I can slowly ease myself out of this depressive episode. Trying to remember that what is routine on a good day will be very difficult now, and I have to set bite size, reasonable goals.

I've decided I'm ready to take on a bigger goal--getting back to writing. I am a writer but I haven't worked on my fiction writing in a month. Though I have been writing every day in a journal and also keeping this blog. I was invited to do a reading two weeks ago with my writing collective and I just couldn't do it. All the people I'm closest to in my writing group did the reading and I feel so disappointed I wasn't up to it.

I'm going to set a writing goal for this week, though. I have a membership at a wonderful fiction library that has a beautiful reading room where you can write. It's very quiet and has leather armchairs and windows. It also has no internet access-a big plus since I don't need the distraction right now. I decided that my goal would be to go to this reading room and set a timer for an hour. During that hour I can do anything that is related to my fiction writing. I can read the comments from my writing group on my last piece. I can do a writing prompt. I can browse in the library for a book that will inspire me. Anything.

I'm feeling enthusiastic about this idea. I have a pack of cards called the Rumi tarot cards that I've never used. Each card has a line of poetry by Rumi and a lovely image. I've been thinking for a while that the Rumi tarot cards would be great for a writing prompt--pick a card and use it for a free write. So that would be a fun thing to do during the hour.

So that is my goal--if it is too big, I will try setting a smaller goal.

June 2016

S M T W T F S
26272829 30   

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.