Photo

....help...

Posted by blueboots21 , 01 July 2013 · 146 views

How do you learn to love yourself?

To see your beauty?

How do you learn how to pick yourself up?

To have more confidence?

I have people telling me I'm beautiful and amazing but...how do I accept that when I, myself, don't completely believe it?

There's a guy in my life right now and he knows my situation and he believes that he can make me see myself like everyone else does. But do I lean on him? Do I accept him, knowing that we might not last, and know that if he steps away I could fall deeper than I am now..??

Please help...

What I'm going to suggest may sound crazy, but it kind of helped me. I had an art therapist ask me to make a collage of who I want to be or what I like in life....I was also to include a picture of myself before the abuse, or the youngest most innocent age possible.

So here I am cutting out these cool, beautiful, yellow, bright pictures of flowers, this wholesome looking woman, and many other things of what I want from life. It was all happy, and light.

This seemed so foreign to the dark, dreary, view I have of myself. Especially my thoughts of not being beautiful. Amazingly enough I realized that if I was wanting beauty then beauty was still within me.

This helped me see myself differently and then portray myself differently. I started reaching for things that were beautiful to fill my life. More sunshine, self care, new haircuts, different lighter makeup, different lighter clothes.....

I did benefit from those around me that thought I was beautiful, but I didn't become dependant upon them or their responses to make me feel beautiful. I found the beauty inside of me, and worked from inside out.

I'm not sure if this makes any sense or not. An art therapist would probably do a much better job.

I think we can all have very beautiful aspects of ourself. Find what your's is, and embrace it.

Good journey to you!
Photo
blueboots21
Jul 02 2013 07:09 AM
Thank you for the advice, Orchid. I really appreciate it :) I will have to try that

April 2015

S M T W T F S
26 27 282930  

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.