Photo

Getting help is hard.

Posted by StephEas , 28 March 2013 · 34 views

I have finally decided to go look for professional help, which is a very difficult step to begin with, but now I get overwhelmed by all of the options and money and insurrance and such.

I went to the student's psychologist's office on our campus and talked to them, but they told me that they couldn't help me.
There is a waiting list (and I only have a couple of months left before graduating) and even after that waiting list they are only allowed to give 5 consults per student. Also they told me that my problems were too complicated for them to handle, so they advised me to go to a real therapist closer to my home (are student psychologists not real therapists :confused:/> ) So, I was pretty much denied help at school.

There's a therapist's office with people specialized in sexual assault trauma only a city away, but because that one is considered alternative medicine by my insurance company, so it doesn't get covered, I can't afford to pay for it myself.

So I guess the only option I have left is the regular psychologist's office in our town. That one gets at least partially covered, only the first 5 consults, but at least I'll be able to try it out. The downside to that one is that I have to get a referral from my GP and I absolutely do not trust that guy. I am not comfortable with him at all and now I have to go and talk to him about something so incredibly personal in order to get a referral for help. Also I am scared that this office (without any specialization in sexual assault trauma) will not treat my history with as much care as the specialized one would.

I guess eventually I'll be able to figure all of it out and I guess it will be fine. But right now I just feel really overwhelmed by all of the information and restrictions.

Why is it so incredibly hard to get help?

January 2015

S M T W T F S
25 26 2728293031

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.