Photo

Self care and survivor jewelry

Posted by StephEas , 24 March 2013 · 25 views

For a very long time I have not been taking care of myself very well, I don't really know why, except that I did. Maybe it's because I feel like I don't deserve to be cared of, maybe it's because I am inside my own head too much and forget to take care of my body. I don't really know what it is, but I have made the decision that if I want to heal, I've got to start taking better care of myself.

So I decided, the first change I want to make is to do something just for me every weekend. I spend all week working, doing my internship, classes, studying, homework, etc. But I've decided I want to take some me-time every weekend and do something about self-care, something I enjoy doing, something creative, something that makes me relax, anything that will just give me some calmth and energy and hopefully will make me happy.

So, this weekend I started out doing this with a craft project, making some survivor jewelry. I have enormous admiration for survivors who wear the teal ribbon to raise awareness to sexual assault. For me, I am not really ready to do that yet, not because I don't want to raise awareness, but because I don't really feel up to explain why and what happened to me.

So right now, I'll just wear this bracelet and neckless as a reminder to myself that I am worth it, that I am strong and brave enought to keep going and to keep on healing.

These are the charm bracelet and necklace I made:

Posted Image

Photo
missophelia
Mar 24 2013 09:47 AM
Your jewelry is beautiful! Very creative, and I can see how wearing it can aide you in your healing.

I have been struggling so much lately, I thank you for posting this blog. I think the idea of doing something that is for self care and healing, and that I enjoy, I think that is a good idea, and it gives me hope that maybe if I try something like that, it might help me not struggle so much and help me start healing again.

:)

I love them, they are beautiful:). Having something to focus on that you enjoy is a great idea. I hope you have lots of creative and relaxing weekends :)/>

Thank you!

April 2014

S M T W T F S
13141516 17 1819

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.