Photo

Why can't I stand up to my family?

Posted by thisisjay , in Family 14 September 2012 · 121 views

Why is it that when we're around family we seem trapped in the behaviors we had as children. Or am I the only one this happens to?

For example:

My Aunt M was right next door at my grandma's house. (Yes, unfortunately we live that close.) I had been home from classes for less than an hour. I always keep my phone on vibrate while in class and after classes I often forget to turn it off vibrate. She called wanting me to bring her over some paperwork for my mom. I didn't answer the phone because I didn't hear it vibrate. Mom called me right as Aunt M knocked on the door and the only reason I answered it was, not because I heard it, but because I saw it light up as I was getting up to answer the door. Aunt M was mad at me for not answering. Then as I was listening to mom tell me where the paperwork was, Aunt M got mad that I turned away from her to get the papers for her. I told her that I didn't hear it vibrate and she sat there and scolded me and accused me of lying. She then started to go on about how I should automatically turn up the volume on my phone. I sat there and said nothing.

Why can't I stand up to her? I don't think it was as big of a deal as she made it out to be. I mean she was right next door. What was she mad she had to get up? Excuse me if my first priority when I get home isn't to turn up my phone volume. I was more concerned with the online test I had to take and then making myself the first meal I've had all day. I had literally been sitting down for maybe 10 minutes. Excuse me for not thinking of it. Why couldn't I just tell her that? Why do I let her intimidate me and make me feel bad? I don't understand why I just can't stand up for myself around my extended family. I'm not a child anymore. I have a voice. Why can't I use it? I hate that she makes me feel this way. I can never stand up to her no matter how big or small the situation is. Sometimes I try and they just squash me down like they're right and what I say doesn't count. I hate that.

Trigger Warning

I am not censoring anything I say in this blog so please be careful when you read it.

July 2016

S M T W T F S
171819202122 23

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.