Photo

Found where anxiety can't live

Posted by MS7355 , 14 May 2012 · 9 views

I have discovered something beautiful. After waking up every day with anxiety and going to bed with anxiety for almost 2 years now I have a realization that I hope I will hold on to forever. It all started when I was shopping for another therapist and I went to see this woman. I don't remember much from the session other than 5 magical words she said to me, "Find Where Anxiety Can't Live." Those 5 words collided into my memory like a brick wall and have not left me.

I started realizing what I was doing subconsciously to counter my anxiety attacks. I had literally already done this without knowing. If I felt anxious in the evenings, I would take a bath. If I felt anxious around a group of people (this happened frequently because after my divorce I had to move into a house with 4 other friends, one included my boyfriend), I would go into my room and put my headphones on or watch a movie of my choice. If I chose to listen to music at this time, it typically involved ridiculous dancing, crying and lip syncing. If I watch a movie, I dive into women-empowerment movies like Under the Tuscan Sun, Live, Laugh, Love and/or Fried Green Tomatoes. If the day was feeling overwhelming, I would take a nap.

Its amazing how I was the person being my own best friend even though the majority of the time I am my own worst enemy. I didn't care if people thought I was being rude or weird because I was doing these things for me. I could either feel guilty about how I was making other people feel or I could take care of myself without guilt by watching Fried Green Tomatoes for the 100th time. I choose without.

May 2016

S M T W T F S
1234 5 67

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.