Photo

Everything went better than expected (and a primer on folk colleges)

Posted by Tillit , 03 January 2014 · 131 views

So I was having some very bad feelings about Yule this year. As a whole, though, everything went better than I thought they would. Okay, fine, they didn't exactly go well; I've not taken care of myself, I have barely been out of the house for weeks, and I've spent a lot of time by myself... but I had my brothers over, and their girlfriends, so things have been social, and my dad has behaved and not gotten way too drunk as he often does, I guess because we had visitors over. All in all, things went well. I've had a good Yuletide, and I'm almost sad it's over and that I'm going back to school in two days.

School is going okay, too. I actually almost regret signing up, and part of me wish it would be over already, but I've come to realize this is a good thing. It means I've gotten well enough to take on life again, and that the semester that was has achieved its purpose. For those who aren't Scandinavian/Germanic, folk college is a different kind of school. It's intended more as a year where you grow as a person, or "recharge", or motivate yourself to enroll for college or to go back to high school. There are classes or activities six days a week, and you sleep and eat your meals at the school, which in turn often lies far away from your hometown. The courses almost always run over a single year, which means everyone you go to school with will be as new to the place as you. All this together means that you bond very tightly with the people you meet, both those in your class and the ones who are enrolled in different courses. A common experience is to feel that you haven't gone to the school very long (because time flies in folk college), but that you simultaneously have known everyone there forever (since you get to know them so well) Posted Image .

The various schools, between them, cover every subject imaginable, from circus and theater to the fine arts, volunteering, history and Biblical studies. I personally enrolled in a one-year horse course and have learned so much in only half a year, and bonded with both horses and people. I've still got a semester ahead of me, and I'm going to make the most of it and probably enjoy it a lot even though it will fly by and be stressful, but overall, I'm ready to move on. I've grown as a person and gotten much better than I was at the beginning of the year. If you have been hospitalized and felt terrible when you were committed, but were just sick of the place when you were released, you know how I'm feeling now. I'm ready to move on, ready to find a job, ready to take on the world.

Bring it on, life. I'm ready now.

:metoyou:

October 2014

S M T W T F S
192021222324 25

Search My Blog

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.