Photo

How can I call him what he is when he's so normal?

Posted by jessie72 , 18 May 2013 · 54 views

So I know this isn't advisable but I was sneaking a look at his facebook page. I guess I did it to try and desensitize myself to his face, his presence. He lives near the sports centre where I am a member. I've tried going elsewhere but this is the one where I can afford the membership and I find myself getting angry when I realise he's stopping me from going, or rather I am letting him stop me from going.

:trigger:

So I looked at his facebook page. He has lots of friends, many of them girls. He's a nice, friendly man. Doesn't take life seriously. How then can I call him a r*pist?

How can I equate this man with s*xual violence? Some people say r*pe isn't about s*x, it's an act of violence. This confuses me and makes me wonder if I can call what happened to me 'r*pe'. When I think back to that night, for him it was all about s*x. He wanted it and he ensured that I ended up at his place, drunk and vulnerable. He just wanted s*x though - that's normal between two consenting adults isn't it? I know that's the issue - consent.

I did not give my consent, in fact earlier in the evening I'd expressly denied consent. He just thought I needed my mind changing - so in my drunken state he invited me around for a cuddle and I naively went as I thought we were friends, I wanted to feel cared for, loved - but I didnt want s*x - at least I don't think so. I've beaten myself up about this in many forms since - "Did I secretely want to, is that why I went around?", "Did I know what was going to happen? I must have wanted it, after all alcohol reduces our inhibitions" :down: These thoughts have tortured me ever since.

:trigger: (...for my own scary tormented thoughts)

The thing that confuses me is the way society views these issues. He does not for one minute think he is a r*pist - I know this. He just thinks I am a crazy girl who regrets that night and who ran away and moved home a few days later (he was my neighbour). He's learned while growing up that 'girls say no when they mean yes', and that 'sometimes they take a little coaxing' - why else do some men lable their sexual experiences as 'conquests'? - society condones this.

So although I know in my gut that what happened that night was wrong, I still doubt myself regularly and cannot call him the 'man who r*ped me', it feels like a lie, it feels like an insult to all those women who have really been ass*ulted even though since that night I have never been the same :tear:

Photo
MarieoftheSun
May 18 2013 12:33 PM
I read a great book that classified types of rapist and yours sounds like the gentlemen rapist the most common type.My link this link give some details but the book I read was by an FBI criminology who gave a very real profile and it fit my rapist so clearly. He is nice a father seemly harmless and had what seem like lots of friends but just empty connections on Facebook. I encourage you to read some FBI profiles I found it very enlightening to stop myself doubt and really see this guy for who he is.

December 2014

S M T W T F S
28 293031   

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.