Photo

Closing the Door on Reality

Posted by Kyrie , 07 March 2012 · 17 views

I know that I do this all the time. Probably a little too often. And I've been wondering, do other people do the same thing?

I often watch TV or a movie, read a book, etc. to escape from reality for awhile. I sometimes get so involved in them that I call them my "obssessions". I bury myself in these alternate realities, so much so that the characters become like real people to me. I feel their pain, cry when they do, smile with them, and feel great affection for them. They almost become like friends, friends whose lives I can follow but whom can never follow me back out into the real world. I immerse myself into their universe, closing the door on reality for awhile. It's nice.

For me these worlds are a safe haven. I know they aren't real but maybe that's part of it too; getting to explore possibilities that are impossibilities in reality. To explore the intricacies of the human heart and mind from the safety of my room.

Something I've realized just recently is that it's something I've spent a bit too much time doing this. Instead of living my own life, all I was "living" and breathing fiction. It's so much easier than dealing with all the emotions that dwell in my heart. But I have come to the realization that I do want to live my life, that I want to face my fears and work through my emotions. While I'm not going to give up my "escape" from reality, I do have to be careful not to let it take over my life again. Everything in moderation, as they say.

Maybe it will help you to know that others do the same thing. I find myself hiding in books and have for most of my life. When I'm immersed in another world I don't have to deal with what is happening in mine.

It is hard to take a step out of that. You are brave for recognizing it.

March 2015

S M T W T F S
29 30 31    

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.