Photo

Reaching Out

Posted by BabyElphie , 20 February 2012 · 9 views

I start writing this the day after I have told my boyfriends dad and step-mum about my SA. It took me a long time to make this decision and still probably wouldn't have gone through with it if it wasn't for the support of my boyfriend. I am so glad that I did reach out to them for support. After telling my mum and dad, I felt selfish asking for more support, surely people had enough going on in their lives to worry about what's happening in mine. But I think the text that I received from my boyfriends step-mum really said a lot about why survivors should reach out, if not for themselves but to allow others to help them. I really wanted to share this text with everybody to show that reaching out to those that love you can be the best thing you ever did.

"Don't ever lose sight of those around you who care and want to be there for you. I cannot imagine how difficult it has been for you but you don't have to struggle on your own now. if you ever want to talk please just ask. Sleep well. lotsaluv as always x x x x"

It's not that I don't appreciate the support that my mum and dad have given me, of course that means the world to me, but to have someone who isn't related to you, who doesn't have any obligation to support you, really shows that it doesn't have to be a genetic relationship for that person to feel the love and understanding that you need.

So I would ask all survivors, whoever you are thinking of telling, I know it may seem daunting and frightening but if you choose to, I'm sure the bravery you show will be rewarded. When you are ready, take that leap into the unknown and a net of support will be there to catch you when you do.

September 2014

S M T W T F S
1415 16 17181920

Recent Entries

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.