Photo

Take Back the Night pt 2.

Posted by Aurora325 , 29 April 2012 · 47 views

Time for part two!. At the end of the whole Take Back the Night event on Friday there was a speaking out portion. I have to say that there was way to many people that got up and spoke. It was heart braking. One of the girls who got up and told her story was only 13. She had been abused by her uncle and her cousin who she lived with since she was six. And then to make it even worse she was abused by her foster sister afterwards. Another girl told us about how she was abused by her brother when she was a child. She then added onto her story by telling us how her brother went to our school. She told us his name but I found myself thinking that she shouldn't do that. But then I realized by thinking that she shouldn't name his name I was going along with society. The idea that the girl or boy should just go along with it and move on and that pointing the finger wasn't nice but that only protects the criminal. So i'm glad she told us. There was another guy who got up and told us how he was gang raped by 5 men 10 years ago at the University that we were all attending in the dorms. It was so bad I started crying. Me the girl who never cries and is able to hold everything back. Each story felt like it was pulling a little bit more at your soul because you knew exactly what they had gone through. But it was also rewarding in a sad way because you were able to connect with everyone around you on a soul level. I finally pulled up the courage and looked at my friend next to me and asked her to go up there with me. As soon as I went there I choked up. I was so scared and I couldn't talk with out crying. I had to take a second to collect myself. I surged through it just trying to hold back the tears and keep my voice steady. At one point I told the people how my mother responded to me telling her and I heard audible gasps from the crowd. I totally messed up my story though. And the more I think about it the more I am upset at myself for not telling exactly what happened but I keep reminding myself that it is okay. That I still got the point across and that is what matters. But it was so hard. When I walked off stage one of the ladies came straight to me and gave me the biggest hug and even as I type this I just want to cry and the sadness of it all but the relief of telling. It has given me strength and I hope that I can do this again to help out others. I have to say though that even though I had great friends there to support me I wish that I had a boyfriend or a girlfriend there to lean on and hold me close but some of my friends helped me out with that a little.:] I didn't let myself cry on their shoulder or cry on them at all but there support meant a lot. Specially there hugs and their support. It was definitely a life changing experience.

Oh you are so strong and brave. I know you don't feel that way but I could not stand up right now and tell my story. Especially, after hearing of others around me that are hurting. It is like I feel their pain and I want so badly to take it from them but I can't. I feel so useless and pathetic. You are an inspiration to me. I want to get to the point that I can be strong and share and help others. As a child going through the hurt, I would always say I would one day buy a huge house and let all of the abused children come live there to be safe and protected. I still dream of this now. I wish it could be a reality. I think the help you are offering is so wonderful and maybe someday I can be like you.
That is an amazing idea I think you should pursue it and start an organization! As far as being strong and brave well thank you but I think anyone who can survive afterwards is brave and strong. Don't doubt yourself. :] I didn't think I would talk and yet I did. And you are not weak you help by just hearing them, and letting a person know that they are not to blame for what happened to them and that they are loved and safe. I believe that everyone heals differently. I find that sometimes sharing my experience or even educating people helps me heal because I then help out others. Helping others is how I heal. You might heal differently. I think the idea of giving a home or lending a hand to children who have dealt with this is beyond brave and strong. Have you ever thought about getting involved in your community? I bet you can do it! :D Thank you so much for your kind words by the way :]

May 2015

S M T W T F S
3 4 56789

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.