Photo

Almost threw in the towel

Posted by catsinspace , 18 December 2011 · 8 views

Trigger Warning: flashbacks

I'm really glad I found this site. I'm not happy we all went through the abuse which led us here, but at least I know I'm not alone (and hopefully anyone reads this knows that too!) Recently things between my family have been slowly spiraling downwards and I tried to turn to therapy for help. What happened really shook me up. I found a counseling center that went by sliding scale to aid with finances (therapy is not cheap), it was far but I finally worked up the courage to ask for help. I paid for the intake session and it went really well! The relief of having someone to talk to was monumental. It made an immediate impact in my life. How many times have I tried to turn to a friend about all these issues and been put down, made fun of, spoken about behind my back, shut off, labeled "crazy", it goes on and on. My sex life with my boyfriend was drained, the flashbacks worsened as the stresses in my life heightened. Anytime he touched me I flinched, or would eventually stop what we were doing and have a break down. This past summer I cried everyday. I needed help.

Two days after my intake session the therapist called me on the phone while I was at work. I thought she was calling to tell me which counselor I was paired up with, instead she started asking me tons of personal questions I had already answered in our session. She then tried to ask me when and where all these things happened, I had already explained to her my memory is bad considering my PTSD. It made me feel like she wasn't listening to me before and I thought it was unprofessional of her to ask me such personal things over the phone without a warning, at least. It made me so anxious, eventually I just said "I don't know" to anything she asked me and hung up awkwardly. It's been over a month and no one from the counseling center has called me.

So, they can keep their intake money. I will find a therapist elsewhere.

i'm sorry you were treated that way. it sounds really unprofessional to me.

i'm glad you're going to look for someone else and try again.
Photo
catsinspace
Dec 21 2011 03:44 PM
thank you so much. i found a therapist today!
Just wondering how you are doing and sending good thoughts your way.

May 2016

S M T W T F S
2930 31     

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.