Photo

Grounded

Posted by YoursTruly , 29 May 2011 · 35 views

Slowly but surely I believe I am a little more like myself than previously. Although due to some of the real life issues I left behind in my triggered-minded state I feel like I am about to be triggered again. Though this time I think I have a better anchor into sanity this time as I still feel pretty guarded whereas last time it took me on by surprise.

Typically when I think a trigger is coming on I pay very close attention to how I am feeling and when I start to get a mental hazy feeling like I am high and can't focus on anything I do something that requires my utmost attention and prevents me from going over the emotional edge if you will.

What I am thinking about doing, since my classes won't start for another few days, is concentrating on writing down my entire story of how I was abused. Now I know it sounds a bit weird to actually think about what happened and commit it to writing to take your mind off of a trigger. But unfortunately or fortunately, depending how you look at it, it is very natural and easy for me to dissociate how I feel from a difficult task I may be given and just do the critical work part and simply leave it at that.

Since I was a young girl I have always been able to do that and I never really knew that you called it dissociation because after my first abuse I found other ways to use it. For example if I was reading a book, I could drawn out all the sounds around me and not hear you if you called my name or I could read a book and walk around an entire store, never looking up, if I knew what colors my mom was wearing.

I feel like everytime I come back from a bad trigger I learn something else I completely forgot about either from my most recent abuse or any of the other abuses that could have been red flags that I missed or ignored. Eventually I do want to share all of my story and not just bits and pieces and varying degrees of it.

July 2016

S M T W T F S
24 25 2627282930

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.