Photo

Crazy Things My Therapist Says

Posted by SkyAtNight , 23 June 2011 · 81 views

If I would write a book my recovery experience, the table of contents might look something like this.This is a parody of things she says that at the time seem bizarre but after I think about them, there is a lot of wisdom. My T is awesome and has helped my overcome so much. I just find it helps to have a sense of humor about the difficult things.

Chapter One - You can still allow your self to have a good time even though you are depressed. (AH What? If I could feel good times, I wouldn't feel depressed.)

Chapter Two - Brace yourself. I am going to say something nice.

Chapter Three - You can control your thoughts. Then your body will follow. (If I could control my thoughts, I wouldn't need to control my thoughts. Maybe I need better thoughts?! )

Chapter Four - Your parts are at war with each other. You need to have a meeting with them. (Sounds like Custer at the Little Big Horn)

Chapter Five - You can't see the tree for the forest.

Chapter Six - Keep looking for good and letting it in.

Chapter Seven - Pre-worrying has not helped you. Anticipating dangers not your friend. " but it does past time."

Chapter Eight - She is not your mother.

Chapter Nine - Look around you and count.

Chapter Ten - Live in the present "because the past really sucked."

Chapter Eleven - You do not know what other people think. " Thank God they don't know what you think."

Chapter Twelve - Most people do not operate like your family. " For my family, dysfunctional would have been a step up."

Chapter Thirteen - What you think is your weakness is your strength.

Chapter Fourteen -Most things are not about me. " Scientific studies show that I am not the actual center of the universe?"

Chapter Fifteen - I can't please everyone. The only one I need to please is me. "Everyone else just thinks I need to take care of them."

Chapter Sixteen - My body is my oldest friend, my longest companion. "Who knew, I have an imaginary friend that has a weight problem!"

Chapter Seventeen - Breathing is a good thing.

Chapter Eighteen - Crying is good work. " It just feels like shit"

Chapter Nineteen - Playing with toys with help diffuse the PTSD and help it move to a different part of my brain. "I was hoping we could remove it from my brain entirely. That would be awesome!"

Chapter Twenty -You will do better if you work together. Be a team, make group decisions that take everyone's needs and wants into account. " but this team is more like the congress"

Chapter Twenty One - You have lots of resources and can take care of your self,

Chapter Twenty Two - The present is your friend. The past - not so much.

Are you feeling progress with this therapist? It sounds like it might be a good idea to look for someone new if you are unhappy. I recently changed--after being with one for over a year. I can tell you that in my 4 sessions with the new one I have made more progress in the entire year I was with the old one. Hang in there--therapy is a lot of work but it can be done!!
Thanks for the note. I am very happy with my T. She does have some funny ways of speaking.

This is a parody of things she says that at the time seem bizarre but after I think about them, there is a lot of wisdom. My T is awesome and has helped my overcome so much. I just find it helps to have a sense of humor about the difficult things.
yes a sense of humor is a great tool---I also use it in my healing. I am so so glad you have a T you feel is so helpful. Keep up the good work & humor!!
Thanks for caring gillybeans. I have to figure out a way to say these things helped me and making a sarcastic remark poking fun at how difficult it is to recover. Making fun was really freeing.
Photo
PhoenixxRising
Jul 03 2011 11:09 PM
Reading this at first I couldn't tell if you were dissatisfied with your therapist or not, but it seems you have a good relationship and he/she has a lot of good insight to share with you. Glad to see you're having a good experience!

May 2015

S M T W T F S
2425 26 27282930

Recent Comments

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.