Photo

I think we all can relate

Posted by Iammealways , 15 September 2010 · 47 views

Hi there fellow survivors. My story is that I went on many years in denial or pretending that what happened to me wasn't significant. After it happened, I just said everything was okay I'm fine. I guess it didn't hit me until years later. The reason I have thought about it lately, is because I didn't think it had an effect on me as much as it did. I went into shock then, and even still I didn't want to believe it was happening. I went through whatever he wanted me to do so he would just go away. Apparently, from what I understand now, it was about control. In my case after I did ask him to stop, he didn't, so I just froze-another indication that this wasn't normal. He called me afterward to berate me some more-once again, another sign that this wasn't normal. I had difficulty reporting him because he came back into my life to try to put seeds of doubt in my head that his treatment of me was okay. And, I am also an incest survivor-which I think has nothing to do with it, because after those incidences I'm all too aware of what feels right to me and not. My husband is an example of that. I had even more pressure trying to convince those around me what had happened. I think most of us know that in those scenarios, it is hard to fight back and easier just to take it so it will be over with. Unfortunately, my birth-father made the mistake of saying he knows how that guy feels, which hopefully he can reconsider. I have even tried in my life-as I understand you survivors out there do, to make up excuses for why he did it. To try to rationalize it-so that the world makes sense.

May 2015

S M T W T F S
1718192021 22 23

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.