Photo

lament for innocence

Posted by Arietta_Sashrady , 11 July 2011 · 88 views

I've been having this problem lately. Last week I was at work doing mundane tasks when suddenly I remembered a knitting nancy from my childhood. I remembered her painted face and suddenly all these feelings of intense sorrow washed over me and it took all of my emotional control not to just start crying.

Today it happened again. I was awake in bed when I saw a stuffed animal that my stepdad used to keep in his car. I used to love that dog with his little police hat, even despite who he belonged to. And now I'm on the verge of tears, that feeling of intense sorrow, of grief, rocking me.

I would say that it was a lament for my childhood, only this is a feeling I used to feel as well. I used to (still do) get a lot of attachment to inanimate objects, especially stuffed animals and anything cute or with a face. Maybe it's because so many of the humans in my life have been such complete failures.

I spent a lot of my childhood feeling this intense sorrow, along with fear. The feeling of wanting to cry almost constantly, of being trapped in a world so evil and hideous as to be completely intolerable. Nothing made sense and people were cruel. But I haven't felt this way in a long time... so to feel it now, with this power... it's crushing.

I have no reason to feel this way right now. I had the perfect weekend with my husband, who always proves to me that goodness exists because he is so kind, so patient, so joyful. I never feel like this when he's around.

But then thinking about it, maybe it's because my mother sent me a photo with my stepfather standing next to my sister and her 6 year old daughter. And I miss my sister so much that I looked. And I don't understand how everybody can be smiling in that picture. Why am I the only one who is suffering still? Why am I still so alone with this? And he doesn't deserve to be within 50 feet of my niece, supervised or not.

I have to go to work in a couple of hours. I hope this passes.

Arietta -

I am sorry you are feeling yucky - sometimes, I will get filled with a certain sadness as well. It's not fair that you weren't able to enjoy your childhood, to feel safe, innocent and happy. Grieving for what was taken from you is a necessary part of healing, I think. I hope you are feeling better.

Thinking of you - M.

July 2016

S M T W T F S

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.