Photo

First Bad Dream In A While...

Posted by Shining_On124 , 17 February 2014 · 55 views

It's been a long time since I had a bad dream, let alone one that had me not wanting to sleep. (it's also been over a year since I posted here! Sheesh! But I still feel as if my recovery is "unfinished", so I may be spending more time here working through things)

I had a weird dream last night, and when I woke up, it was still bothering me. It wasn't necessarily "scary", but it did have my rapist in it (plus some homophobia! Fantastic!). **slight trigger warning, just in case**

It was like a weird flashback. I was in my childhood best friend, Amber's, house. We were watching something on TV, and a scene came on that showed 2 girls kissing. I am not sure if I voiced it, or if because it was a dream, my excitement/positivity towards that scene was palpable, but Amber (raised in a Christian household) expressed her disdain for it and how she thought that act was "repulsive and unnatural". I found myself defending that act, stating that everyone was entitled to express their love regardless of their gender. I remember my feelings on the defense being very strong. 

Fast forward in the dream, and we are heading to bed. I walk down the familiar hall to Amber's room, turn to my right to look into the master bedroom. I only see his backside, but it is my rapist, M. He was shirtless, with some navy-blue sheet/blanket thing around him like a cape. I shuddered. "What is HE doing here?" I turned to my brother, who was somehow behind me. "I don't know, but concentrate on going to sleep," he said. The master bedroom door closed, but I was paranoid about why M was there. 

Then I woke up and was just like, "What the hell?!" but at the same time did not want to go to sleep.

I just kept wondering why he was even in that dream to begin with, and why was I focused so much on that? 

The homophobic stuff pissed me off as well. It felt like.... I don't know, like I had to justify or re-think my sexuality, and that despite coming out as bi and being attracted to girls 3 years before the rape happened, that there is a deep-rooted distrust of men because of that. (and even in typing that I am thrown back into my room at my parent's house, at 15).

I don't know. 

July 2014

S M T W T F S
20212223 24 2526

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.