Photo

TOOL - Live at Viejas Arena, 7/15/2010

Posted by Shining_On124 , 17 July 2010 · 30 views

Oh man, the Tool show last night was incredible.

The light show was fantastic, definitely the best I've ever seen. Their videos on either side of the stage were great, too. :D
There were no problems with the audio, no distortion (except on my recordings) and the vocals were fantastic!

The crowd was great. For me, there's nothing like being surrounded by my fellow AFI fans, that sense of community is something I have yet to find anywhere else.
That said, everyone here was nice, really into the show and the music, and there wasn't many fights. From what I saw, the pit hardly moved at all except for some headbangers. No one was stealing anyone's seats, and people were considerate of others when they had to move to get by.

Maynard seemed really "into it" - different than what I expected. Yes, he stood at the back as I'm told he always does, wearing shorts and a baseball cap, but he was phenomenal vocally. His vocals were strong, spot-on; and he moved around quite a bit.

The band interacted with each other, too. And at the end, Adam and Justin waved, thanked us, and blew us kisses on their way off stage, it was cool. :P

Two hours of awesomeness. As Maynard introduced our time together he said, "There's out there, and there's in here. For the next two hours, it's all about in here," and they launched into Jambi. :D

'Jambi' and 'Schism' were two of my favorites (I was blown away just hearing 'Jambi' live, and 'Schism' brought tears to my eyes), but 'The Patient' was really, really good. And how could I forget 'Lateralus'?! They had two drummers battling out for that, it was awesome. The guest drummer was Gino, from the opening band.
The extended bassist/guitarist jam in 'Intolerance' was rad, too!

They wrapped it up with Aenima (Maynard shouted "...Southern California....!" and referenced AZ & his wine ;)), and everyone stood up, danced, and sang a long. I really loved that, too. That sense of unity - it was fantastic!

I recorded most of the show, but man, the songs only half came out. My iPhone is no match for my digital camera in terms of sound quality...ah well. :]
I can relive 'Jambi' as much as I want tho. :P

Setlist is as follows:

Monologue of Timothy Leary as the intro: "Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable open-mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself."

1. Third Eye
2. Jambi!
- Ions with cool lights
3. Stinkfist
4. Vicarious!
5. Eon Blue Apocalypse
6. The Patient
7. Intolerance (extended)
8. Schism!!
9. Forty-Six & 2

[intermission]
9. Lateralus /w Gino from Rajas

And for the 'encore'
10. Aenima - amazing!

I am SO jealous! I haven't seen Tool live yet, but I would love to. I saw A Perfect Circle about 4 years ago, and Maynard was incredible then - though he spent the entire concert standing behind a sheet so all we could see was his silhouette. Lucky you! :)
Photo
missophelia
Jul 17 2010 06:36 AM
Lucky you!! I would love to see Tool live. Man, that must have been just awesome!!!

Enjoy your recording, what you got. And I know you'll have this memory for the rest of your life!!!
Another envious one here! Tool are one of my favourite bands and I've not got to see them live yet :(

Glad you had a really good time, sounds like it was a great gig :)

claire
xxx
Photo
soulconstance
Jul 17 2010 12:47 PM
*jealous* I'm a bigger fan of APC, but Tool is freakin sweet. I'm just jealous you got to see Maynard live!

Glad you had a good time too! ^_^
Photo
Shining_On124
Jul 17 2010 08:41 PM
Hehe thanks, guys!!

A Perfect Circle sounds like it'd be a good show, too!

They were so fantastic, and it was great to finally see/hear Maynard live! :D

I can't wait to see them again (whenever that may be)!

May 2016

S M T W T F S
22232425 26 2728

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.