Photo

Good Interview, Bad Interview [Sort of bad]

Posted by Shining_On124 , 14 July 2010 · 12 views

My first interview today was this morning at 10am, with Merry Maids. It went really, really well.
Only problem is, my salary requirements. I need to make at least $400 a week to cover my living expenses. They pay you $8/hr, plus 20% (starting out, it can go up to 29%) from the total $ made on every house you clean. Most teams (you work in pairs) do 2 houses a day, but some do up to 4.
That seems to even it out, based on the calculations, I'd be making around $13-$15/hr.

Problem is, is some days they're busier than others. Somedays, like yesterday, then tell people to "stay home" because there's not enough work. I would also have to drive my own car twice a week, with gas mileage reimbursement, that I'd actually profit off of because my car gets great gas mileage.

Still. Even with the 2 days on-site training and a week of 'in the field' training, at the end of the day, they can't guarantee that I'll make at least $400 a week, every week. And not only is that problematic for me, but they don't want to train me if I can't stay, because training is expensive.

Nonetheless the general aspect of cleaning houses seems fantastic, and I did really well in my interview. My eyes shown and I know she saw me as eager. She said I could think about it, and they'll give me a call anyway to schedule something with the manager of the company.

Just got done with my second interview - it was a phone interview, with Time Warner Cable. It started off well enough, with general information about the job, my availability, questions about my past jobs, how did I handle certain scenarios, etc. The training is 6-8 weeks, the starting pay is $13/hr (perfect!), all reps are 3-product trained, which includes being trained in internet, and you are expected to make at least one sale a month. Sounds pretty simplistic, if I got the job, I could make it work for a few months.

Then, shit got complicated. He asked me a bunch of, supposed 'basic' IT/PC related questions... I got a few of them right, but the ones I missed were, "What's the difference between a static and dynamic IP address?", "How would you troubleshoot if your email isn't working?" (I got most of that right); and some other things that I didn't know off the top of my head & struggled with. I told him that when I worked for Cox, I was never internet trained, and my troubleshooting skills are mainly with software, not networking, he said it was okay, but when the call was at it's end, he said, "Well, you missed a few questions, but I'm going to give you "a second chance and send you the online assessment". If I pass this, which should be cake, then they call me for an interview. He seemed pretty impressed with me otherwise!

And then I finally get the test e-mailed to me, almost two hours after the phone interview had completed.
"This test cannot be done in Firefox or Safari browsers. It cannot be completed on a Mac."

....fail.
Guess I'm making a pit stop at the library.

I called the Humane Society yesterday in hopes of finding out when I would hear back from them, but the customer service rep transferred me to the HR voicemail, where I recieved an automated message stating: "Due to the high volume of applicants, we are unable to provide information regarding resumes and callbacks. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted."

I called Commonwealth Financial today and they said that they review resumes immediately when they're received. Here's to hoping I hear from them as well...

Waiting game continues...! Good news though, I should hear about my potential new living space by tomorrow. :D

December 2014

S M T W T F S
21 222324252627

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.