Photo

Reading

Posted by bellachai , 12 March 2010 · 17 views

I just finished reading John Grisham's first novel 'A Time to Kill'. I have read it before and I have seen the movie. Very good. I enjoy reading books with mystery, good versus evil and true stories. I am interested in abnormal pathology and the paranormal. Why? I am always searching to understand why bad things happen to good people. I am looking for answers as to why people hurt others. I like ideas and things that entice me to think of possibilities and reasons. I like imagination and the creative and the catalysts of it.

'A Time to Kill' appeals to me on many levels. The most obvious being a father being charged with murdering the men who raped and beat the crap out of his 10 year old daughter. This father loved his daughter enough to eliminate pediphiles/rapists/abusers. They will never be able to harm another again. It was revenge and justice. No one protected me and the evil stepfather never was punished for what he did to me, my sister or any other children he got ahold of. He got away with it as if it was alright what he did. Pediphiles it has been stated cannot be rehabilitated so why try? Why give them any chance to damage another child or person?

A lawyer who takes on this case and stands up for this father is punished for defending this father's actions. Some of it is racial as the father is black and the rapists were white. Who cares???? A child is a child regardless if they are white, brown or purple. A child was damaged for life. This child will never have children of her own due to the physical damage they did raping and torturing her. This lawyer's secretary's husband is beaten and killed, his assistant is striped tied up and beaten, he recieves death threats with failed attempts and his house gets burned to the ground. I takes the case for personal gain to himself but sticks with it even after all the terror to him and his family. He did not defend him for money as the father is poor and ends up with only $900.00. No one stood up for me. My mother had the opportunity to put the evil stepfather in jail. She chose not to and her reasoning was she did not want to put her daughters through a trial. My sister and I were not even given the choice. My guess is it was my mother who did not want to go through a trial or the 'humiliation' or exposure of what happened to her daughters while in her care. Just hush it up and tell no one as if it never happened. My mother did not even put us in therapy. All swept up under the rug where no one can see and let the evil continue but with someone else's daughter. As far as I know the evil step father never was caught or punished and I have no idea if he harmed anyone else. I would guess he did as they never stop until someone else stops them.

This book was about hatreds of the worst kinds. Justice was served but a cost to many innocent people.

Photo
missophelia
Mar 12 2010 07:20 PM
Imagine how it would be if every victim had someone to stand up for them like that father did for his little girl.

Things would be so very different, in such a positive way.

I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie. It was very powerful. But I'm sure the book is better than the movie, like most are. And, yes, there was lots of hatred, and violence to the lawyer who was trying to do right for that father.

I used to love to read, but I don't much anymore. It's a concentration thing with me. But I think it's great that you're taking time for yourself, and doing something you love to do.
missophelia,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, reading for me is like taking a mini vacation and much food for thought. What is it you do for yourself? Blessings

July 2014

S M T W T F S
13 141516171819

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.