Photo

Melt Down

Posted by missophelia , 11 March 2010 · 28 views

Last night I had a melt down.

Today I feel a little better.

I've never been good with anger. For so many years, every time I became angry, I stuffed it. I wouldn't allow myself to feel it. I couldn't feel it. When I was a child, I wasn't allowed to express such emotions. If I did, there was something "wrong" with me. So, over the years, I learned to suppress it.

After I was raped, I stuffed that anger too. I wanted to claw his eyes out, and I imagined all sorts of things I could do to him. I was so angry. He had no right to do what he did to me. He hurt me so badly. I wanted him dead.

But my feelings were short lived.

My anger scared me so much that I stuffed it. I stuffed every emotion I had about the rapes. It was the only way I could hide what had happened. It also seemed to be a way I could protect myself from all of the hurt I was feeling, if that makes any sense. But the anger I stuffed came out in other ways.

Over the years, my stuffed anger has turned to rage. My rage is terrifying. One time I tore a room apart, because it was messy, and that's what set me off. But I know my rage wasn't really about the mess.

I did that in front of my daughter, when she was 4 years old. She didn't deserve to be subjected to that. And to make it worse, after the rage passed, I sat on the floor in front of her sobbing, asking her to forgive me, telling her I was sorry, then holding her tightly.

I was a complete mess.

I can't imagine what went through her mind. I'm sure she was confused, to say the least. I know I scared her. I still feel awful, horrible gut-wrenching guilt for that.

There have been a few other times over the years where my rage has taken over. What makes it so scary?

I lose total control. I don't think. I can't think. All I can feel is all of that built up anger, and intense anxiety. I feel like I'm erupting. And once it starts to come out, I can't stop it.

Lately I've been doing ok handling the anger I feel for D. It's all new to me, trying to feel it, trying to handle it. I thought I had a good handle on it. But last night I realized I don't.

D put some stuff on EBay, and 14 of his items sold. That's great, for him. It's his business. But last night he told me to wrap everything and mail it out. He wanted it all done today, and mailed out by this afternoon. I immediately became overwhelmed. It was way too much for me, and I tried to tell him that. His answer? Just get to work on it. Then he went out.

I lost it. I melted down. My anxiety level went through the roof in about 2 minutes, along with my anger at him. So, I lost it. My bedroom is still a total mess. I also opened my bedroom window and started throwing things outside. I have lots of things broken. The neighbors probably think I'm absolutely crazy. I don't know what I said, but I was screaming things.

You would think it would make me feel better. It didn't.

Luckily, A was out with friends. I never want to subject her to me losing it again.

After I was done, I shoved everything off my bed, and passed out. Then I had a horrible nightmare. It was so horrible, I don't even want to write anything about it here. I've been trying all day to get the images from it out of my mind. But I can't.

I know I've made progress. I'm doing better, and I am healing, but I just can't get away from him. I know I never will, and I know I have to learn how to deal with my nightmares when I have them. I have to deal with HIM for the rest of my life.

I guess I also need to deal with the anger I feel for him, before it destroys me.

Surprisingly, my anger is gone for now. But when I woke up from my nightmare, my anxiety was still there. So I've been dealing with that and a massive headache all day long. I've been able to distract myself a little through out the day. I've also wrapped a few of the EBay things, and managed to mail them out. I decided I wasn't going to stress about it, just do what I can manage to do. If D doesn't like that, he'll have to do the rest himself.

I really tried to talk to him about it, to try and get him to see my reasoning about why I couldn't get it all done today. But it's just so frustrating, because he just walks away. He won't go to counseling, and he won't talk to me. Dr H can't understand why he acts like he does. But she agrees that I shouldn't have to put up with that kind of treatment.

I know what I'm going to have to do, because I can't live the rest of my life like this. I thought we could make a go of it and save our marriage. I really thought D would be a support for me. I thought I could count on him. I have no one else in RL that can be a support. Now I know I'll never get support from him.

My biggest problem with leaving is that I can't really go anywhere until my bankruptcy has been discharged. And I'm waiting for approval from the insurance to get all of my dental work done and get dentures. I'm going to be out of commission for a while after they pull what teeth I have left. So for now I'm stuck.

I just feel drained right now. My head still hurts, but my anxiety is mostly gone. I'm trying not to be too hard on myself for all of this. I'm really trying to give myself a break. I know healing is hard, and I still have lots of work to do. I also know I'm going to have times like last night.

But last night was really rough, and it all just hurts.

Dearest missophelia,

I am so sorry for your pain. It is so difficult to heal with unsupporting person around. It just adds to the burden. This unsupportiveness may be triggering your rage. You are a survivor and you will get through this and all the pain. Just take care of yourself first. I am thinking of you and sending good thoughts for you. Blessings
Oh sweetie - I'm so sorry to hear everything ended up rupturing. I wish D had listened...hadn't walked out when you tried to talk to him. I'm glad to hear A was gone when your rage did set in, but I'm sorry you got to the point of rage at all. I wish you all the luck in doing whatever is right for you concerning D and either fixing your marriage or divorcing. You are an amazing person and I know that whatever you do will be the right thing to do. I'm thinking of you.
Photo
missophelia
Mar 12 2010 01:20 PM
bellachai

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. And thank you for thinking of me.

:)
Photo
missophelia
Mar 12 2010 01:21 PM
LexieB

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement too. And thank you for thinking of me.

:)
Photo
missophelia
Mar 12 2010 01:24 PM
I am feeling a little better today. I've been trying to just relax and be gentle to myself before I start thinking about what lies ahead of me.

Bellachai--it may be that D's unsupportiveness triggered my rage. I don't know. But I do think part of it is also the anger I feel toward the man who raped me, and I know I have to work to get past that.

LexieB--thank you for wishing me luck concerning my marriage. I am trying to approach the whole thing rationally, but there are lots of emotions there. And thanks for calling me amazing. I'm working on feeling like I am.

Blog Warning

This is a blog of my thoughts, my feelings, my happiness, my pain, my joy, my sorrow, all raw and real. I am not censoring my blog, so please take gentle care of your self.

April 2015

S M T W T F S
26 27 282930  

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Tags

1 user(s) viewing

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Blog Warning

This is a blog of my feelings, my emotions, my joys, my sorrows, my thoughts, my struggles as I heal. All raw and real. I am not censoring my blog, so please take gentle care of you.

1 user(s) viewing

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.