Photo

The Good Time

Posted by missophelia , 24 February 2010 · 9 views

I had just turned 20.

I would show up at group therapy when I felt like it, spend a few minutes in group, then sit in the bathroom drinking. I wasn't working, I was still living at my mother's, and I was so full of pain and anger.

One day, I picked up an AA pamphlet that was sitting on a table in the group room. I was about to toss it when a counselor approached me. She asked me if I had any questions about AA. We sat and talked for a little while. Then she gave me a listing of all of the meetings in my area.

I was so nervous about going. But I went. The counselor I spoke with made it seem like AA could save me.

It did.

I found a sponsor and got sober. I started attending meetings. I made friends. Not destructive ones, but people I could actually trust. People who I could relate to, at least on a certain level. People who showed me how to enjoy life without drinking.

I talked at length with my sponsor about my drinking, and just touched on the other things. I hinted at some abuse. She never pushed me to tell her everything, but she made it clear that I could talk to her about anything I needed to.

I hesitated, because I felt so dirty that I thought I'd scare her away or disgust her. I didn't want to lose her.

But we became close. We did things together. Bowling, out to lunch, over at her house, just to "hang out." It was all so different, and I loved my new life.

I also got a job at a nursing home, and became a CNA. I loved the work, taking care of the elderly. I felt like I mattered, that I could help others, that I was needed and valued.

Slowly, I regained a sense of confidence. My urges to SI slowly lessened, and I was able to stop giving in to them. I stopped feeling so worthless and stopped planning suicide.

All the stuff-the abuse, the pain, the anger, still stewed inside of me, but somehow it lost its power over me a little bit. I resolved things a little in my mind, but I don't think I've ever totally resolved any of it. Maybe just come to terms with some of it. Maybe not. Even so, I felt better about MYSELF.

I moved into an apartment with a friend I'd met who was in AA. Finally being out of my mother's house did much to boost my self confidence. I felt like I hadn't felt in years. Not since before I turned 10.

I celebrated a year sober, and then I decided to make a change in my life. My job was only part time, with a long wait for full time status. So I looked into my other options.

There were few job opportunities where I lived. I wasn't anywhere near ready to try college again. Then I thought about my grandfather, and how he loved his service in the Navy. So I joined.

I was guaranteed a job, but I was looking for a career. Also, I would get away from my mother, and my father, and all the other "stuff." I was sober, and felt confident that my sobriety was strong. My friends threw me a going away party. Then I was off.

Bootcamp was easy for me, after I got past the first two days. I was far from athletic, but surprisingly I made it through all of the physical aspects, like running, push ups, sit ups, and so on. The day I graduated was a very proud day for me.

A month of leave time was next, and then I was off to my Navy A school. The base in Norfolk, Virginia, was really big. There was lots to do and see, and it was very exciting.

My schooling was a bit like college, but with uniforms and military regulations. Which was fine with me, because I loved wearing my uniform. It gave me such a sense of pride. We had day classes, then we were off for the rest of the day and the weekends. Occasionally, we had some sort of guard duty, but I didn't mind that. I kind of liked it.

The first couple of weeks of school were great.

Blog Warning

This is a blog of my thoughts, my feelings, my happiness, my pain, my joy, my sorrow, all raw and real. I am not censoring my blog, so please take gentle care of your self.

July 2014

S M T W T F S
2021222324 25 26

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Tags

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Blog Warning

This is a blog of my feelings, my emotions, my joys, my sorrows, my thoughts, my struggles as I heal. All raw and real. I am not censoring my blog, so please take gentle care of you.

0 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.