Photo

The Secret Life of Bees

Posted by missophelia , 06 January 2010 · 90 views

I spent several minutes thumbing through this book in the grocery store, and thought, what the heck. It is set in the year I was born, so that was one of the first things that drew me to it. That and the first page.

So I bought this book about 3 weeks ago, but hadn't yet begun to read, mainly because my attention span is quite limited lately.

I rarely read anymore, but it was something I got great enjoyment from when I was a child.

Anyway, I took it with me to read while my daughter, A, was in her therapy session. She doesn't like to go alone, so I wait for her.
I've read 28 pages in. It's a very easy read. And I'm hooked.

Because...
The main character was born on the same day of the year as me.
She is not in the popular crowd in school.
She feels invisible in her father's presence.
And, she feels guilty for the accident that killed her mother.

As I read, I said WOW! to myself, because boy, can I relate to each of those things, except my mother didn't die. I just relate to the guilt. I don't know what else I will be able to relate to as I read further, but the book definitely has my attention.

And the best part is that I was able to spend some time today "outside" of myself. No anxiety, no depression, no having memories. Just for that short amount of time, was pure bliss.

i can't read at the moment and i hate it. i understand getting lost in a book, being outside yourself....

i hope you enjoy the rest of your book. i heard it is much better than the movie.

Blog Warning

This is a blog of my thoughts, my feelings, my happiness, my pain, my joy, my sorrow, all raw and real. I am not censoring my blog, so please take gentle care of your self.

July 2016

S M T W T F S
171819202122 23

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Tags

9 user(s) viewing

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

Blog Warning

This is a blog of my feelings, my emotions, my joys, my sorrows, my thoughts, my struggles as I heal. All raw and real. I am not censoring my blog, so please take gentle care of you.

9 user(s) viewing

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.