Photo

Am I being selfish?

Posted by missophelia , 06 December 2009 · 26 views

I hate Christmas time.
The crowds, which I'm having a horrible time with.
The expectations to give gifts to some I hardly see throughout the year.
It's like this pressure I don't need, on top of trying to manage all of my feelings, my PTSD, my nightmares and flashbacks.

So, anyway, I have created some paintings for those closest to me, like my mom, my husband's parents. I enjoy being able to give something I made as gifts.
The problem is my ass of a father. The man seems to have no feelings. He is so emotionally detached, so into himself. He rarely calls me, and when I call him or see him, he has little to say and acts like I'm wasting his time. He's been like that for years--it's nothing new.
Still, I have never had a real father daughter relationship, and I can say that it hurts.

I have this pastel landscape that I finished a couple of weeks ago, and I was going to have it framed and give it to him for Christmas. But somewhere inside of myself, I don't want to. To me, giving gifts should be more about the actual relationship I have with someone, instead of giving a gift just because I HAVE TO.
A big part of me doesn't want to give it to him. Another part of me argues the fact that he is so much like a stranger, why would I want to give it to him? Then there is the part that tells me I should because he's my father.

I guess I'm just rambling now, but I keep thinking, don't give it to him, then saying to myself, you're so selfish.
I guess I'll have to sleep on it.

Blog Warning

This is a blog of my thoughts, my feelings, my happiness, my pain, my joy, my sorrow, all raw and real. I am not censoring my blog, so please take gentle care of your self.

October 2014

S M T W T F S
1920212223 24 25

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Tags

1 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Blog Warning

This is a blog of my feelings, my emotions, my joys, my sorrows, my thoughts, my struggles as I heal. All raw and real. I am not censoring my blog, so please take gentle care of you.

1 user(s) viewing

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.