Photo

Old movies and teenage angst

Posted by Carleen , 03 July 2010 · 22 views

I watched an old movie tonight. Nobody could call it a particularly good movie. Puberty Blues, released 1981, based on a book published sometime earlier. Promoted as looking at the world of typical teenagers. For me both were enough to shape how I saw things and I hated myself because I didn't shape up.

I thought that that book was a blueprint. I have always looked for the way things are meant to be, how I am meant to be. I never trusted myself so I looked elsewhere. I still do in so many ways. I wish for someone to tell me how to do it, how to live, how to be a good person. How to be a person that will be liked and accepted. Because who I am...well, it just isn't enough.

I wanted so much to believe that the way it was in Puberty Blues was how I was supposed act. And when I couldn't I hated myself. I look back now in amazement that I wanted that sort of life. And I also see that in many ways I did have it, but as an adult. I believed that sex was something you had to give to be like by boys. I believed that if you didn't do what they wanted, what they saw as right then you were just nothing, worthless. What a fucked up way of looking at the world!

At 40 I can see that it was fucked. But I have a sister who did live that life. The perfect sister with the constant flow of boyfriends. And there was me, fat, smart, opinionated. I never shut up. I acted like I knew everything but felt like I knew nothing. Why is it that I still feel that I was the one who was fucked up.

I am sick of not knowing who I am and what I am supposed to do. I wish there was some sort of plan that I could follow. But there isn't and I am still wandering around, lost, scared and ultimately alone.

November 2014

S M T W T F S
161718192021 22

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.