fretting for my chick

Posted by , 09 September 2005 · 153 views

My lovely seventeen year old son, Nick, has been offered a room in a house with some people with whom he gets on really well.The house is five minutes away, Nick works for his dad so I'll see him all the time, and yet I feel absolutely slaughtered. I can't stop crying...and I know I'm overreacting - I mean it isn't as if he's going across the world...but it hurts so. I wish I knew why my heart feels this way.Nick and I have a volatile relationship; he pushes my buttons, I yell and then we hug. Lord...he's grown up so fast....too fast...they're not little for long...I always thought that because I have a very strong identity outsiide of parenting, my kids leaving home wouldn't hurt so much...I was wrong.I keep thinking of things I've done wrong as a parent; what I wish I'd done better and I've been paranoid my Nick's leaving because he thinks I don't love him. He'd think I was crazy if I said that to him; he knows I love him.I'm carefully controlling my emotions around him; I don't want him to feel manipulated. He's excited; this is a normal rite of paasage and he should be supported. Realistically too, I know that when I get over this, and he's bringing his dirty washing around, and raiding the fridge etc, there'll be times it will annoy the shit out of me.I hope my beautiful; boy will know that he's always got a bed here. I Love him :bawling: Love him.SDoes anyone out there understand this....?

First, Lou, welcome to Blog world ;)

Yes, I think I do understand what you are saying! Even though I have another 3 or 4 years w/my oldest, I'm already dreading it, I think...yet, also thinking I'll enjoy more "me" time...I'm already thinking about all the areas I screwed up in when parenting him...the times I yelled when I should have hugged instead...or the times that I couldn't find it in me to turn away and close my eyes (errr...mouth) when I should've let him learn on his own...the times that his room being clean became more important than his going outside to play...

I worry that when he leaves, he'll be glad to leave...and that he won't know how much I really love him...that he'll be glad to leave...

For me, I think that I know how I felt/feel about my mother...and I don't want my child having those same feelings about me when he walks out of my house...if that makes sense.

May 2016

S M T W T F S
2930 31     

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.