Photo

Paying It Forward and Believing I am a Success

Posted by cordeliaVorkosigan , 30 July 2012 · 17 views

A bit of good news and paying it forward. I was homeless for a while in the Spring and now have a job in a new city. I was assigned a project that requires me to travel 3 days a week. That really sucks because when school starts up, I will have to be home every night for my 12 yr old son. For now he will travel with me or visit grandparents. I have a friend that is homeless, living in a hotel, with her toddler. I offered her help last month but she turned me down. Since now I am in need of help with someone being home with my son, she has decided to take me up on the offer. It's more of a two-way street in her eyes. She will be relocating and starting over as I did in May. I'm not going to charge rent. She just has to provide her own food and work on getting a job and finding her own place. I am hoping she will be on her own by January. I'm happy to be able to help her out. I really needed this and no one was there for me when I was homeless. My only concern is that it will go on and on forever but I really don't think that will be an issue. I'm so very happy she will be around and my son will not be home alone. He's old enough not to need a sitter but not old enough to be left to his own devises for so many hours every day.

We haven't worked out all the details yet of if I will be commuting every day and home just to sleep for the 3 days or if she will feel comfortable enough to be there with my son as the main care giver for 3 days a week. It doesn't really matter till September. Until school starts, he can stay with me or stay with relatives. After school starts I will have to commute every day or she will watch him so i can stay in the hotel still.

It is so very hard being a single parent. I am not super woman for sure. My kitchen is clean and I make nutritional meals. That is my goal every day. Laundry can pile up and the stack of boxes and totes against the wall may never be unpacked but I am still a success. I go to work, the bills get paid, and my child has clean underwear on. We have not reverted to primate behavior in the house. We still pray before dinner and even have time for a video game once in a while. I am a success.

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.