Rising

Photo

A few deaths

Posted by angelakempe , 11 June 2014 · 53 views

Sorry that it's been awhile since I blogged on this site. I've been stirred back into action by two recent deaths. The first, was my favorite author and aspiration, Maya Angelou. She wrote about her own life, rape at an early age, and recovery. Her words were poetic and her life was inspiring. I was truly sad when I learned about her death. I always wante...

Photo

Tomorrow

Posted by angelakempe , 10 August 2013 · 63 views

The night before my SHARP performance, at precisely 7:35pm, my sub bassist cancelled on me. Luckily, I was able to find someone a half an hour later and we did a quick rehearsal together, but I had to pay him double what I did the drummer. (The drummer really deserved more money.) It must have been the topic of rape. I've never had so many musicians c...

Photo

Using art to heal

Posted by angelakempe , 04 August 2013 · 94 views

I've been reading some of the blogs here and I love when people post their poetry. Does anyone else write to heal? Let's connect. I am an author and a songwriter, so I love hearing other peoples expressions. Here is some of mine today:

What makes a flower beautiful?
Does the sun have to shine?
Does the breeze toss it gently?
Do the insects come t...

Photo

Feeling better

Posted by angelakempe , 02 August 2013 · 65 views

I feel so renewed today. Yesterday, I didn't do anything but play with my kids. We went to a splash park and ate a cinabon, and I spent time with my husband. I really can't complain too much about life. I feel bad that sometimes I cry, but I guess it's part of the process. I think it was my mom who told me that I am grieving right now. And as...

Photo

Two sides of a coin

Posted by angelakempe , 31 July 2013 · 68 views

I had a meeting today with the director of a women's shelter here in town. I didn't realize that it would effect me so much. Now, I will depart from this to tell you that the way I choose to go about the next few paragraphs is difficult for me. I can tell you that we had a great discussion. I spoke to her about all my plans and she was very positi...

Photo

Speaking to the past

Posted by angelakempe , 25 July 2013 · 58 views

I actually spoke to the healthy boyfriend from my past yesterday. There were two that coincided. I was with an older man (there was no sex) when my perpetrator manipulated me into a relationship with him through telling me that I was part of an evil society and needed to join his "family". I told my healthy ex that I had written a book and that he...

Photo

My first public appearance promoting my memoir and speaking out

Posted by angelakempe , 14 July 2013 · 93 views

My meeting with the SHARP rep on Friday led to very good things happening. I told her about my memoir and about the musical outreach program I was hoping to start in conjunction with it, and she said that she would buy some of my books and wanted me to speak out to her battalion. So on August 9th, my first major appearance as a speaker of domestic violenc...

Photo

Big Day

Posted by angelakempe , 12 July 2013 · 93 views

This is a somewhat big day for me because I have an appointment at 1pm with the lady who represents the SHARP program (Sexual harassment or Assault Response and Prevention) at Fort Sill to speak about selling my book to the army and helping her with an umbrella musical outreach program that I've been putting together. My phone conversation with her ea...

Photo

Sweater (Trigger)

Posted by angelakempe , 09 July 2013 · 74 views

It was 100 degrees out last night.
"Go get some frozen yogurt," was my husband's request.
That was easy enough. But before going into town, to the local Walmart, I gave myself a quick size up. I was wearing a sleeveless sundress that came to my mid thigh. That wouldn't do. Although, I don't perceive myself as being pretty enough to be...

Photo

Procrastination (TRIGGER)

Posted by angelakempe , 08 July 2013 · 60 views

Hello. My name is Angela. I am not famous and my rape was never publicized in the newspaper. My rapist never went on trial. In fact, he just disappeared. Disappeared from my life, but never completely from my mind or my physical body. Time has worn away the memories and lightened the feelings, but he is still their like a shadow in a room, pushing me to...

March 2015

S M T W T F S
12 3 4567

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Categories

Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. is not intended to be a substitute for professional assistance. All members and visitors are encouraged to establish a relationship with a trained counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist. Pandora's Aquarium, Inc. offers rape and sexual abuse survivor-to-survivor support only. Despite any qualifications staff or members possess, they are not engaged in a professional relationship with any other member. Survivors in crisis are urged to seek local help by contacting 911 or their local rape crisis center. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Service located here.