Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rinoa

Want to show pandys to my mum

8 posts in this topic

I've been telling my mum all about what a great place pandys is and how much support ive had and all the friends I've made ((((hugs to you all!)))) but she doesn't really understand what I mean. she was horrified when I told her I was posting my pic! She keeps saying "yes dear but i've heard all about the horrible things that go on on chat rooms, be careful". bless her heart I know she's only worried, but i'd really like to kindof show her around (logging in as myself and chaperoning her!) so she can see what a safe and healing place it is. It would only be the once and I wouldn't take her into 'my voice' or 'my story' if it's not allowed.

not sure on the rules on this so.....can I?

rinoa x

((rinoa)))

I have had something similar with my mum. She took awhile for her to accept that i talk online and post stuff that i don't even talk to her about. I think she wondered how i could feel supported in an almost superficial place.

So i figured that i needed to show her. I knew that she really didn't have any business seeing other peoples posts, because she was 'my' mum, and should really only be worried about me.

So one  my posts that i posted and felt i could share with her, and got supportive replies from others on pandys, i printed out and gave to her.

That way she didn't see anyone elses posts. She only saw/read what was relevant to HER.

Anway, im not a mod, so all i am suggesting is to print out some of your posts and show her.

But see what the mods say.

Take care

I like Kiwi's idea...and I really have no problem showing this place off to people I care about. I don't give them a password to have free reign, but I show my fiance certain posts and he likes to look at the design and changes we make. I think showing it to your mom is a good step forward in healing. Respect other's privacy, as Kiwi said, but go ahead.

At least...that's my thought on it. What do other members think? We don't have specific rules as to this, and I'm really curious if you all think there should be.

Shannon

My only concern would be that the thread(s) to be shared are chosen carefully, since sometimes even in replies, people share their own intimate/difficult thoughts or details...

Lora

I think I'm going to use kiwi's idea (((((thanks kiwi!))))) to show her what I've posted about myself, that way I can keep private any replies that may need it,  and I'll show her the guidelines etc so she can see its safe.

Thanks for replying!

((((kiwi))))

((((shannon))))

((((lora))))

I am really concious (can't spell!) of other members privacy, so I will be really careful what I show mum. It will mostly be my posts, and not neccessarily the replies to those posts in some cases.

I was thinking abuut wonderful threads, I forgot that its a public forum. Thanks anna!

ri x

Hey :)

This all sounds fine with me. It can be really helpful to share your thoughts with your parents. I hope it's a good experience!

-Lis

In terms of the privacy issue do you think it's different if one showed one's post and related replies to ones T or counselor.  Particularly if  one wanted to talk about one's response to the replies.  Would your answer differ if the replies contained no personal information vs. those that contained some but were still in response to the post.  (One could for example just share replies that had no personal information about the replier.) I'm just curious because unlike the mom/fiance/other family member situation a t is required to keep everything confidential so do you think that changes what you can share?

thanks,

n.