The pandy's insomnia club

Lis

Guest Simplybeeme86

How about I fell asleep around 630am and slept deeply until 12ish. I want to go back to bed and stay there...why is it everytime I get a bit of sleep, I feel guilty?

:hug: to all

so how many times have i said been avoidin drugs and alc as much as possible to help me sleep?! broke down last night and was totally hammered. did get some sleep but payin for it this mornin! better than no sleep at all i suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

Sigh! Back in the club tonight! I guess Ill get lifetime membership by now. Another sleepless night....so frustrated with myself! Hate this self hating.... Hate this self injury.... Hate this self loathing... Hate this sleepless nights......... Hate being a survivor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry Rant over ...now can I sleep???????? Pretty Puh Leaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Addy :down:

• 2 months later...

I've had insomnia all my life and have been diagnosed with idiopathic insomnia. I used to have the problem as a baby, toddler.. you name it, I've been dealing with it every day of my life.

I've tried Ambien, Sonata.. I would not recommend these because I actually woke up in the middle of the night hallucinating and scared the crap out of my ex-boyfriend, ahaha. They also are very similar to one another, so. Ambien's come out with a CR version that is in 6.25mg and 12.5mg.. I haven't tried those, but after what happened with the hallucinating, hahaha no thanks.

I've also been on trazodone for sleep alone. It did help me, but I had to take 300mg at night. Also, it would only work the first night I took it, then the next time it wouldn't help. Also.. it gave me incredibly low blood pressure, so bad I'd black out after standing up.

I've been on Rozerem, which is a new sleep aid which helps your sleep cycle.. It's good if you have a sleep disorder relating to that, however, it doesn't help me. But you will wake up without feeling groggy, which is good.

I haven't taken Lunesta, but my mother does, and she completely knocks out to the point where it's impossible to wake her up almost, and with my anxiety, I'm afraid to leave myself vulnerable like that at this point.

I've tried triazolam as well, which is usually used for people suffering from jet lag. It helped me sleep sometimes, and has been better than all the other medication I've taken.. however, with it comes a tendency for addiction and doctors therefore don't really prescribe it that often.

Right now I take melatonin and valerian root. Eh, it doesn't really help me that much, but I've tried every drug solution that I know of. I don't think I'm ever going to find a solution, but hahah I just decided to write this out and let you guys know about what I've tried. :)

Edited by Utopian

• 3 months later...

The only thing that really works for me is having the tv on otherwise my brain wont stop thinking and that doesnt always work. I have to say that if i do sleep i have nightmares but what really gets to me is that my mother gets mad at me when i cant sleep :blink: she is like its a choice to stay awake. I have to say its not like i dont want to sleep i just have trouble falling and staying asleep, kinda hurts when she says that, any thoughts on how i can try and talk to her about it??

slinky_chix
<font color='#000000'>I take tylenol PM every night, because I can't sleep otherwise because of nightmares-is that bad for you?  My roommate told me I'm going to get an ulcer or have liver problems, and I got worried, because I can't sleep without taking it...</font>

I take the new Tylenon PM sleep stuff without the Tylenol part.

My livers already screwed up. I just want to sleep. Having crows feet and bags under my eyes doesnt help me in the morning.

Some things I found the other day:

1) Free downloads of soothing sounds of nature (ocean, birds, chimes, rain, etc.) at Sonata's website: http://www.sonata.com/sonatanow/3.3_soothingSounds.asp

I bought an MP3 player for $40 and downloaded them and copied them to my MP3 player and have been falling asleep to the sounds the past few days. I actually have been looking forward to going to bed the past few days!

2) Free dowload of a relaxation script with music. I also put this in my MP3 player playlist for sleeping. http://www.audiostreet.net/artist.aspx?artistid=2124 (Download "The Gift of Relaxation")

3) I downloaded these free MP3 files for daytime relaxation from McMaster University http://csd.mcmaster.ca/natural_high/cd.htm which include:

Diaphragmatic Breathing

Progressive Muscle Relaxation

Autogenic Training

Guided Imagery

I added the "Guided Imagery" track to my night time sleep playlist. Others might find that the other tracks are useful for bedtime also.

4) I also bought an AirWick thing that plugs into the wall at Walmart for about $4 with an additional scented oil bottle for about $2 of lavender. I plugged it into our bedroom wall outlet and it constantly releases a scent of lavender. I have found that it has changed my bedroom into one which feels much more comforting and conducive to falling asleep.

5) While at the store I went ahead and bought 2 new pillows. The older ones had become all flat. I just thought I'd try to set up a new environment.

survivor

Baboosha (sp?) and Adeline, I'll tell both of your minds to shut up! Does this mean both of you will tell mine to shut up, or something? :)

I have troubles with sleeping most every night. It's because of nightmares though.... I really hate those. :(

O well.

Xavier

Edited by Xavier

• 1 year later...
blondie2002
<font color='#000000'>I need to have something distracting going on (usually it's the TV on very very low), because otherwise I get really intrusive thoughts and worries, and I've learned that if I let that go on too long, it can spiral into a problem with panic.

You live alone, don't you hon? When I stay by myself, I must also have a low-key noise like radio, because that other human voice is comforting. Silence will make me imagine things I don't like. Same here! I also live alone and it sometimes gets to me. :down:

xxxxx</font>

Edited by blondie2002

• 10 months later...

this is the first time iv seen this thread,wow how did i miss this........this is something i suffer with alot.it was around 6am this morning that i fell asleep an i was up again at 8.30.but the thing is im wide awake now.uggggg

blondie2002

I was up at my parents this weekend, and I stayed up and talked to my step-dad 'til 1am.

Persephone

Tea tree oil.

Sometimes when my insomnia was only minor, a few drops behind my ears or on my pillow or sometimes I would put a little bit and three parts water into a spray bottle and spray it in the air would put me to sleep. I wouldn't have nightmares, either.

no sleep again.its now 4.20am .2nd night now.i hate going through this,it screws my head up. :upside:

blondie2002

It's 11:07 pm here and I'm wide awake. Of course it doesn't help that I currently have no reason to get up in the morning. :tear: Btw Sandie, same here. :(

For me the problem is early morning waking not getting off to sleep (which I know is an indicator of depression). My sleep has been better recently and I thought I'd think about why. These are the changes I have recently made (or been forced upon me):

I'm off sick from work and so I've had time to do leisure things, I'm currently doing at least 4 walks a week of 5 miles or more. If I was working I'd convince myself I didn't have time to do this. For me, exercising in this way works because I like the outdoors and changing scenery you don't get in the gym and I think the fresh air helps with tiredness.

I've cut down on my alcohol consumption.

I've started reading novels again. Although I recently had to give up on one because my mum gave me a book which is about a rapist (as written from his eyes.) I've stopped reading that one. Thanks a f***ing lot mum!

:beatsme: im worn out,its 4.20am an i cant sleep again. :oo: i wanna sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

my god i wished i could sleep.im so worn out ,its 4 10am now an my 3rd night with noooooooo sleep. :eyebrow::oo: .

thank you for your suggestion deadpie.iv tryed all differant kids of relaxing music tonight an nothing seems to help.omg iv tryed allsorts of things.its now the 4th night,its 4.20am an i slept for just over an hour today.think i need to see my gp for meds again but i hate taking them.

allthatglitters

Coffee at night + anxiety = hellooooo insomnia! I hope everyone else is sleeping better than me tonight.

Guest deadpie

its 10:46 AM, i still haven't slept. I tried listening to jazz albums, didn't work.

i herd if you find a real cold spot in your house thats a good place to sleep so i tried sitting in the closet for a couple hours.

im sorry your struggling with this am.i hope you managed to get some sleep befor work.xx

take good care