The pandy's insomnia club

Lis

I've slept two hours each the last two days. Slept one hour the day before. I have to try to at least go lie down.

I have nightmares almost every time I sleep so I resist it even though I have meds.

I think it's time to give in for a bit.

In Peace and Healing,

heart

OK, my deal is my work schedule. I wish it matched my husband's who has a m-f, day job. I am happy for him, but my schedule changed every week. One day I may work a day shift and the next I work at night. I hate it and it causes me so much grief. For example, I just got home from work about 1 hr ago.

I don't function well without structure. I don't think I have been sleeping normal since highschool and that was 18 yrs ago. A set schedule would be heaven..nice banking hours or something. My schedule now could be defined as chaos, but I have to work and that is that.

As far as caffine goes...well, I love coffee!!! I must have 2 cups to start my day and 2 in the afternoon (unless I substitute this with a tall glass of iced tea) or I am hell to live with. I know...I am making excuses.

Plus, my husband would agree that I am addicted to the internet. I admit I do enjoy this, but it has gotten worse since I found Pandys....but I have felt better mentally than I have in such a long time.

Sleep is nice though and I wish I slept at a more normal time and length of time. It doesn't matter if it is cold or hot in my room, I must be wrapped up in a blanket or a sheet like a cacoon in order to be comfortable. It makes me feel safe and secure. Is anyone else like that?

Sweet dreams to you all and don't let the bed bugs bite.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest deadpie

School started yesterday, and now its two days without sleep. It's hard to work at school when your feeling like a zombie.

I might just attempt to fall asleep in school right now. But itd be wierd having a nightmare in a classroom

I hope every one can sleep. I went on a long time. the doctor said it is depression. Your brain does not have enough dopamine, and seratonin. I thought it would go away, but it did not. I take zoloft now and it finally works. I feel so much better, I can sleep 8 hours with the help of ambien. that also take a while to work. You can die without sleep. these jerks (rapists) know what they are doing, thats why they do it in the first place. they are miserable and want everyone else to be also!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

iv worked the last 2night shifts an was unable to sleep in the day an tonight iv got off work an still cant sleep.i feel so worn out i just want to be able to sleep.iv been to bed twice an got back up again. :( ,my mind feels numb,i cant think straight.my eyes are stinging an i feel so dizzy.i hate feeling this way.

• 3 weeks later...
bleubutterfly

awake and wishing I was asleep too...i have been home sick recovering from the flu and tomorrow is my first day back at work, and i am in the process of ruining it by being wide awake...aarrgghhh!!!! :o::blink::huh:

I wish you all sweet dreams and peaceful sleep tonight. I too have s little trouble sleeping at times. I drink way too much coffee, but I just love it. Let's face it, it isn't only the caffine is it? Sometimes my thoughts just overwhelm me.

i had trouble sleeping even when i wasn't drinking coffee or smoking or anything. it just goes to show you.

• 2 weeks later...

im sick of not being able to sleep. :(:(:( .im so worn out.why cant i just for once close my eyes an thats it.

• 3 weeks later...

i really wished i could find a way of getting some sleep without having to go back on meds,its been 3days with around 3hours sleep,now im at the point were iv no energy at all.i feel ill because of it.im even to scared to drive anywere incase i fall asleep.its making my life real hard work.

i managed to get a few hours sleep lastnight :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: now im hoping i get a few more tonight. :):dancingbunny: lol had to put one of the bunny in ,i love this bunny.

• 10 months later...

I am not having insomia but I just don't want to sleep. I like this forum so much that I want to heal quicker. I should sleep. For those who is still awake with symptoms just like me, please take care of yourself and let your body rest and heal. That way, I think it will be better and faster.

We are good girls, so I am going to sleep well tonight. See you only when tonight is over..

hugs

<font color='#000000'>Make a promise to yourself to study Trusts and Estates.  All day, put pressure on yourself to study Trusts and Estates.  If you don't study Trusts and Estates all night long, at least until three am, you will fail out of law school and become a broke, homeless bum.  Really, you should study Trusts and Estates until four or five in the morning.

Think this way all day long.

It works for me and Career Counseling.

Jes</font>

I am actually assuming you are kinda serious and kinda taking the mickey.........I used to read physical chemistry textbooks when I was younger. Now, it is impossible to go to sleep without medication. I am just too wound up. I wake up trembling. The nightmares are awful and I wake up paralysed and having a muscle spasm all over or I wake up kicking trying to fight them off. Its lucky no one else is in the bed cos I am fighting for my life..... I use seroquel. I cannot work as a result as some nights it completely knocks me out till after the alarm. So now I am off work and trying to heal.

I haven't read all the replies so I apologize for any repeats, but here is what I've been doing lately:

- I plan to go to bed earlier rather than later. I find that going to bed between 11 and midnight is realistic enough, and I find that it decreases my sleep-related anxiety levels if I at least give myself a potential shot at a decent night's sleep. Laying awake for 3 hours starting at 11 doesn't feel as daunting as if I'm lying awake starting at 4am... there's a whole psychology behind it. Bottom line is, get to bed as early as you can even if it feels pointless!

- I force myself to get off any screens (tv, computer, phone) about an hour before I plan to go to bed. There have been plenty of studies showing that it stimulates your brain even if you don't directly feel it.

- What's really helpful is creating a bedtime routine. For me, once I shut all screens off, I take a nice hot shower, brush my teeth, etc etc. Then I make myself camomile tea (it really helps me relax and sleep! you should try it, seriously) and sit up in bed with a good book while I drink it. I don't leave any particularly bright lights on, just a small one by my bed. I've only just started doing this, but it's already made a massive difference.

- Once I turn off my light, I get comfortable and close my eyes. My main problem with insomnia is that I can't seem to shut my mind up, it's like night-time/darkness welcomes all of my dark thoughts and memories. The reason I ultimately stay awake is because I start trying to shut myself up - but I realized that's where I've been going wrong! So now, instead, I take a deep breath and let all of my thoughts come to the front of my mind. Then I picture myself pushing them out of sight one by one. It works surpsingly well.

- Once I picture my mind being blank, I keep focusing on that while counting from 1 to 5 over and over. The reason this works better than just continuously counting is that your brain has to consciously make an effort to go back to 1. Because of that small effort, you're much less likely to start focusing on other thoughts.

- I also realized that as it gets later, I start thinking so negatively. Without realizing it, I basically tell myself that I'm screwed, that I won't get any sleep and that it'll never change. That's a huuuuge contributor to my insomnia. So I try to be aware of my thinking pattern and do my best to change it.

I hope some of this helped! Great thread by the way :)

Take care

I agree with making your room a sanctuary, mine looks like a shisha room, love it. I have to get up a lot when I can't sleep and I do some yoga asanas to help me relax, burn incense and drink herbal tea. Skull cap is the best for me mixed with lemon balm. I hate valerian it smells like dirty feet. Or I turn on my mp3 player and listen to meditation music.

• 7 months later...

Pills don't work for me. The usual relaxation techniques don't either. The only thing that does is sleep deprivation. It's not good but I manage. Mostly.

• 2 months later...
JacquiLeigh

After having the aweful day I had today all I wanted was some sleep. It's now 5:22 AM, and I'm still up. I'm thinking of just staying up at this point. The kind of day I had I don't want to run the risk of a nightmare. I hope this doesn't start happening all the time again. It's been almost a year since I last had insomnia.

blondie2002

It's 1:22 am and I can't sleep. :(

• 1 year later...

I have found finding times in the day to relax, like not doing anything except reading-as opposed to working-during lunch helps. Although this is a very hard thing to do. Last night, I had trouble getting back to sleep perhaps because I did not do this yesterday. It is frustrating not getting enough sleep. And people, I don't even my T, really understands this. One day I hope to overcome this issue because it really has been a problem.

• 6 years later...
Guest Soon to be full memb

It's 1:13 am here in Florida and I can't find my Benadryl. Not like it would help, if my mind is set on not going to sleep, I won't sleep. I'm gonna try to get some sleep here in a minute. 

I am sorry sleep is so difficult. Hope you managed to get some rest.

• 2 weeks later...
blondie2002

Since, T and I have been together, I've noticed my insomnia has lessened. (Actually, I fall asleep earlier. Around 11:30pm)