Identifying unhealthy coping mechanisms

Lis

Guest Deblynnnnnnn

This is my very first post and my first attempt at talking about my problems.. With other people that are in the same boat a me. I've tried therapy and I don't know why I failed at that.. I have a laundry list of unhealthy ways of coping and after thirty plus years it's become normal and I still feel like I'm being judged everywhere I go. In a room of people I don't know.. I feel like they are looking at me and talking about me. 

Drinking too much at once.. Not often but when I do. I go overboard 

Avoiding people, situations, and isolating myself. 

Pushing away loved ones. 

trust.. I don't have any

self esteem.. I forget to eat or I eat too much. 

putting myself down in a joking manner 

sleep.. I can't dwell or think while I'm asleep 

Drugs.. Xanax.. Adavan. Pot

creating a problem when there isn't one because I don't know what to do with myself unless there is a certain amount of chaos in my life. 

moving from thing to thing because nothing makes me happy or feel full or complete. 

there are more.. I have never dealt with any of my encounters and blame myself for a lot of it. I just want to talk to someone who knows what it's like to feel like you are standing on the outside of the circle and someone who created a cycle of bad choices because that is what you do.. That is how you cope. That is how I coped and still do and I don't want to anymore. I want to talk to someone who truly really understands. My husband is compassionate and kind and tries but he does not get it. I love him for trying but he can't possibly. 

Don't even know what to call myself

• 11 months later...
Guest AmberA

First, I am super grateful for some distraction in life.  Stuff can be heavy at times, and there is nothing like a comedy to lighten the load.  

I think I can make anything an unhealthy cooping mechanism.  Drugs, booze, exercise, eating, television, movies, serial netflix, school, work, etc.... I know when I am going to far with something and there is an imbalance.   Sometimes it takes me a while to change gears and balance out.  I think noticing it and finding ways that work for you to come back to balance is helpful.  I have used all kinds of methods like group therapy, therapy, spiritual learning, meditation, journals, friend therapy, hiking, setting limits, and making time to process everything so I am not in a constant state of avoidance.  Sometimes I just sit with my thoughts until these clear by hiking or listening to music without words.  When I clear my mind even just a little, I find balance is an easier goal.