Shannon

If chat is not working, read this

328 posts in this topic

Some people are having trouble accessing the chat room - problems are usually associated with your computer's software, so we can't fix it for you but we can help you get access.

First, if you do not have ten posts on the board and you haven't been a member here for a week or more you won't be able to chat. If chat won't let you enter and says you have an invalid username/password, it is because you have not met this requirement.

Chat access is granted ONLY upon request. To request access, you may do so by using the HelpDesk feature, PMing any board moderator, or PMing Sasha. In this PM you will want to answer the following questions:

If you wish to request access to the chat room, please be aware that you should contact a moderator or chatterator via PM or the help desk. This email must confirm your agreement to each of the following six (6) points:

1) The date that you joined Pandy's.

2) The number of posts you have made.

3) That you have read and understood the chat room guidelines.

4) That you agree not to use the chat PM system unless its to talk directly to a chat moderator.

5) That you will remain respectful of all members and Pandy's staff members.

6. That you agree not to enter the chat room whilst you are "in crisis" which we define as being actively suicidal, actively self-harming or threatening to self-harm, in need of medical attention, or in need of police assistance.

Please be aware that only upon receipt of this information will we be able to process your request.

We also suggest you read the Chat Room Guidelines and Etiquette posts prior to asking for chat access.

If you have requested access and still cannot enter chat:

**** Vista Users Click Here First ****

(1) Please go to http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

to ensure that you are using the newest version of Java. This step is VERY important. None of the other steps will work unless you have the newest Java version. This link will validate your java to ensure that you have the correct version, and help you install the most recent update if necessary.

Having problems downloading java in the first place, with the auto download? Try this link for a manual download: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Still not working? Onto Step 2.

(2) Please be sure you have cleaned out your browsers cache. Here are detailed instructions:

In rare circumstances, you may need to clear your browser's cache to resolve a connection issue, or to ensure that you're seeing the latest update to a web site. If clearing your browser's cache does not resolve your problem, rebooting your computer is often recommended.

To empty your browser's cache using Windows Internet Explorer version 7

Click on Tools (or the Tools icon) from the Command Bar

Select Delete Browsing History...

Click the Delete files... button near Temporary Internet Files

Click Yes when prompted to delete temporary Internet Explorer files

Click the Close button

Shutdown all open instances of your web browser and restart

To empty your browser's cache using Firefox version 2

Click on Tools from your browser's main menu

Select Clear Private Data...

Ensure that Cache is checked

Click the Clear Private Data Now button

Shutdown all open instances of your web browser and restart

To empty your browser's cache using Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6

Click on Tools from your browser's main menu.

Select Internet Options

Under the General tab, click Delete Files... in the Temporary Internet files section.

Important: Shutdown all open instances of your web browser.

To empty your browser's cache using Firefox version 1.5

Select Options

Select the Privacy icon

Select Cache tab.

Click the Clear Cache Now button

To empty your browser's cache using Safari

Click on Safari from the main menu.

Click Empty Cache...

To empty your browser's cache using Opera

Select Delete private data...

Click the Delete button

To empty your browser's cache using Netscape

Click on Edit from your browser's main menu.

Select Preferences

Select and expand the Advanced category.

Click on Cache

Under Set Cache Options:

Click Clear Memory Cache

Click Clear Disk Cache

Click OK

Still not working? Step 3.

(3) Check your Internet Tools to be sure the right version of Java is checked.

Go to your Internet Tools. In IE this is under the Tools menu, Internet Options. Scroll down to the java settings. If Microsoft JVM (java vitual machine) is there, UNCHECK it. Only Java (Sun) should be checked. Make note of what you check/uncheck in case it doesn't work. Again, make sure only Java (Sun) is checked.

Still not working? Next:

(4) Ensure that you're not under a Firewall or Using Yahoo ToolBar

Firewalls may need to be turned off, and in some instances Yahoo Toolbar is blocking the chat (not sure why!)

Still not working? Help me find a solution with Step 5.

(5) If the above doesn't work, please post here with the following details:

• Confirm that you've completed the above steps - this is very important! Also try running chat in a different browser.
  • Can you access chat using this link? http://client0.addonchat.com/sc.php?id=80092.com
  • Operating System (OSX, Windows XP, etc)
  • Browser Type AND version (found under the Help Menu, About Internet Explorer/Firefox/Etc)
  • Any error message you're receiving as well as a description or screen shot from when you try to access chat.
Hopefully we'll get everyone in chat who wants to be there! Thanks for your assistance.

boost!

I also want to add - two members who could not use chat after downloading the newest Java had success when they switched from IE to Firefox!

Oh Shannon-

I had been having no problems accessing or using chat since the change--UNTIL just a few minutes ago. I got to a thing that looks just like chat, however the message in what would normally be the chat room said something to the effect of "welcome but you're not in a chat room, please select a room from the list at right"--however there were no choices to the right! *scratching head*

I tried again about 10 mins later and was able to get in-just wanted to bring this to your attention in case others encounter it also. :)

Plus I got a message that said no chatting seeing as there isn't a moderator in it. Is this a new rule. And if it is, it's going to be hard getting used to, becuase someone can't moderate the chat room all the time.

dagny

Plus now I'm getting the same class file not found, but when I was in chat, I wasn't allowed to say anything and I was given a message about a moderater or something.

dagny

Plus I got a message that said no chatting seeing as there isn't a moderator in it. Is this a new rule. And if it is, it's going to be hard getting used to, becuase someone can't moderate the chat room all the time.

dagny

No, this is not a rule. It is some sort of error.

Plus now I'm getting the same class file not found, but when I was in chat, I wasn't allowed to say anything and I was given a message about a moderater or something.

dagny

Can you run through the steps at the top of this thread?

the chat does not recognize my username, and password?

L

the chat does not recognize my username, and password?

L

H Lyla,

As stated at the top of this forum and in the welcome PM that you received when your membership was approved, you need five posts on the board before you can use chat. One more and you should be in!

Take care,

Shannon

I do all that and chat either makes internet explorer totally freeze up to the point i have to reboot my whole puter...

OR... I get into chat and it says im the only one there. I haven't seen people in chat for days, which is just kind of odd.

I do all that and chat either makes internet explorer totally freeze up to the point i have to reboot my whole puter...

OR... I get into chat and it says im the only one there. I haven't seen people in chat for days, which is just kind of odd.

You're right, this is very weird.

Are you willing to download Firefox and see if you have more luck using that browser?

I can try that. I actually had Mozilla/Firefox until a week or two ago... Ill have to give it a shot again...

BTW chat worked FINE today :P

The chat keeps on kicking me off :(

wamu, what sort of message do you get when this happens?

I've done the entire list of fixes and am still stumped and frustrated. I used to be able to chat until my computer died. I have a new tower now but am unable to access chat. I've tried everything!!! Not sure what to do next. Help?!! Thanks, Kate.

I've done the entire list of fixes and am still stumped and frustrated. I used to be able to chat until my computer died. I have a new tower now but am unable to access chat. I've tried everything!!! Not sure what to do next. Help?!! Thanks, Kate.

Kate, are you using Vista by chance? If so, here is the fix: http://pandys.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=57611

wait i am lost how do i post and get into chat?

Posted (edited)

i clicked on chat and its just saying 'loading' with the littlle blue loading line going that you get when its loading. but its been doing that for ten mins!

i'm using a mac, does that make any difference?

Edited by Pinky

Rachaels, my guess is that your post was made before you had posted five times, so I assume you can get into chat now?

Pinky, hmmm....have you been able to run through the steps at the beginning of this post? Usually that never-ending loading thing means you don't have the most recent version of java.

Posted (edited)

ok, i'll try that. my computers weird and java always messes up for some reason

thanks

Edited by Pinky

Well, all I get on chat is the gray screen and a 'done' at the bottom of my screen. Waited for 5 minutes for something more.

I know my Java is fine....it works without a problem on another support group, another site. What more do I do???

Thanks!

I know my Java is fine....it works without a problem on another support group, another site. What more do I do???

The other site might use a chat that works alright on an old version of java. When our chat updated it required the new java, and a lot of members who already had java had to upgrade. Can you just humor me, and make sure you have the newest version of java? the problem you're describing is usually due to an old version :)

:sleeping: Sorry, not enough sleep to even think of trying that first. Off to check and update. Thank you!

NP, if the updating doesn't work, post again and we'll keep troubleshooting :)