If You Were My Sister or Brother...

Jackie

If you were my sister or brother I would say that it was not your fault and you have nothing to feel ashamed of. You are a strong person and you will make it through. That I have beliefe in you and that I'm always here for you.

coldwarrior

I would tell you

That you can be what you want to be, not what some want you to believe you are.

That you are wonderful, both inside & outside.

That I am so glad you are alive.

• 5 weeks later...

If you were my sister I would tell you

"you make my world a better place"

• 3 weeks later...
blondie2002

If you were my sister or brother, I'd say: Keep your head held high and don't let nothing get you down.

• 1 year later...
nolongerhelpless

if you were my sister or brother i would tell you how happy i was to say that i was related to you. that every time i thought of you, i would smile bc im just so proud of you for what you are. no matter what happened in the past, no matter what will happen, i love you. you are an angel in my eyes. and just knowing that an amazing person like you is on this world, gives me a another reason to live.

• 2 weeks later...
IllAlwaysBeHere

If you were my sister (which you are!) i would listen. i would let you scream, cry, talk.. i would give you your space. i would tell you that i love you, and that i will always be here for you.. no matter what.. no matter when.. forever. I would tell you you're beautiful. and that you're amazing. i would tell you that you are stronger than you think.. i would tell you how proud i am to be related to you. i would do everything i could to help you make it through and i would hold your hand every step of the way. I'd remind you how much i care about you and how my life is so much more meaningful because you are in it. i would tell you that you are not less of a person because someone hurt you, and its not your fault. i would tell you not to listen to what everyone else thinks and do what is best for you, because you are what matters most. i would do whatever it takes to make sure you stay strong, and never give up.

• 1 month later...

Brother or sister, I would:

* Say that I'm so very sorry, that I love you, and that I will be here to support you no matter what

* Say that I'm here to listen to every last detail (if you want to share), because sometimes it's one or two things that we just can't bring ourselves to say, and these are the things that are most damaging (like, that it happened more than once)

* Say that I'm sorry I was not there to stand up with you, and if there is anything I could have/should have done I'm here for you to say that. And that we'll get through this together -- it's what true brothers are for

Edited by Tim1962

If you were my brother or sister i would:

Take you by the hand,and walk the rocky path with you,reassuring you,none of it was your fault.I would tell you how proud i am of you,and how grateful i am to have you as my sibling.

I would also tell you,that no matter what i would always be with you,even in thought ,if at times we were seperated. Also that you deserve a life free of the pain and hurt that you feel right now,and offer you my unconditional love.At the end of the :rainbow: you will see all the things beautiful in this world,but most importantly,see how beautiful YOU ARE.

Love to you all.xx :hug::hug::hug:

Edited by Debs

• 2 months later...
Knowthyself101

What a beautiful idea.

I wrote this last night. Its my first post. It was very difficult, but a wonderful release.

Thankyou.

Dear Soul,

I would just hug you and let you experience the full magnitude of hurt, pain, dismay, anger, suffering. I would hug you, and love you, and kiss you on the forehead. I would let your body rack with sobs, and not tell you to “shhhh”, or to hold anything in. I would say that this was not your fault. I don’t even know if there Is much that I would want to say, other than I love you, and you are dear and precious to me. That I will be there for you in anyway that I think I can be. That everything you are feeling, little soul, is ok. And normal. Even the absence of any feeling whatsoever. The numbness after what happened.

I would say, little soul, please be kind and gentle with yourself. Please don’t expect that you need to push your feelings away, or hide them to protect others. People love you, and will support you. The right people will do that. Sometimes without realizing, sometimes directly.

Little soul, what a journey you have come on ever since what happened. What a soul-wrenching, painful, truth- seeking, hopeful journey of self discovery. From the girl you were before he raped you. Before he stole your trust, invited himself into your home and stole your precious freedom and love in yourself. To the mess and confusion you were afterwards. Little soul, it was ok to be lost. It was ok to not want to let one small horrible event define your life. It was ok to push it aside, and to try to deal with things the best way you knew how.

It was ok to need somebody to look after your fall. It was ok to feel lost, to do those stupid things to people you cared the most about. To hurt people when you didn’t even realize you were doing it. Because you didn’t know who you were or what you were doing afterwards. It was ok to desperately want your sexual freedom back, and to go about it in completely the wrong way.

It was ok to completely fall to pieces after a while.

Little soul, it is ok to be slowly emerging from the fog, and deciding and declaring who you want to be next. It is normal to look back fondly to the carefree life you had before it happened. How you lived a life of no regrets, and you grabbed life and opportunity by the balls. Its ok and understandable to see this new deeper understanding as a burden, but one nonetheless which is very worth its weight in gold. Why? For the amazing depth and empathy it has brought, the compassion and stillness it has taught you.

If you were my brother or sister little soul, I would tell you that its ok to be lost, that we are all going to be ok in the end. Sometimes life is heavy, sometimes our pain leads us to our greatest gifts if we are only able to give it time. Sometimes the worst things that happen to us can be our greatest teacher, even though it wouldn’t be a path we would intentionally choose for our self.

Its ok little soul, to be still for a while. To wait in silence, and to see what the next chapter in life will bring. Its ok to ask for more, to seek happiness, to deserve it despite the lingering doubts you still harvest. One day, you will actually say that last sentence with conviction. You will once again be able to stand tall and proud, and look people truthfully in the eye.

Until then little soul, keep still. If you were my brother or sister I would hold you close, and just be there to sit beside you. No words.

Edited by Knowthyself101

if you were my sister i would tell you, you are amazing, i am so sorry any of this has happened to you sweetie, you deserve the best and nothing eles.i wish i could take it all away, but i cant but i am here for you always.(((((((((()))))))))))

• 2 years later...
michaeljoseph

If you were my sister or brother, I would share with you HOPE, JOY, KINDNESS, LOVE, UNDERSTANDING, EMPATHY, MUTUAL SADNESS, LAUGHTER, and anything else that would help.

I would let you know that you are wonderful and I love you great deal because you are the best brother or sister I could ask for.

• 4 months later...

Good idea, I think this is a great exercise and this will be my first post as well.

If you were my sister, or my brother, I would just hold you close, wipe your tears and let you know I'm here for you unconditionally. I would tell you that what's happened to you is not okay but is certainly in no way your fault. What was done to you is not a reflection of you, and does not define who you are now. I would tell you that you're special and unique, just like every body else, and I would mean that from the bottom of my heart. You have so much to offer, compassion and empathy and the ability to make great changes in this world because you have witnessed its evils. I would do my best to convince you that the world is not always such a dark place and people are not all so selfish and cruel. Don't be afraid to love or be loved. And don't be afraid to trust yourself or others. You are worthy of love, and you are worthy of trust. Whether you were abused as a child, or an adult, I would advise you to look within yourself and find your inner child and tell him/her all the same things. Tell them over and over, until they believe it. When you wake up in the morning, and before you sleep at night. Tell them a million times throughout the day if that's what it takes. Find that child and hold them, validate their feelings and help them move on. Tell them they are loved and that it was never their fault. Tell them they are special and make them aware of their potential and of their worth. If taking out a photo of your young self and looking at it and talking to it helps then just do it.These things are what they need to hear and deserve to know.

Edited by Innocence

Knowthyself101, that brought tears to my eyes, just so lovely and honest. Good job, it was tough to write my piece too but I think it was healthy. So glad I found this site I think its going to help :)