Questions

Okay, lemme try this....

Sorry guys, I feel way to vunerable to leave this up.

I tried.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jas94

• kjblue

• Ramona

• Mingo

1. Were you silenced by someone? How?

Well, my abuser told me never to tell anyone, but of course, I have after about three years.  When I started telling my family and friends, my parents didn't want me telling anyone else.  Did I listen to that either?  Nope.  Its my story to tell, not theirs to keep silent

2. Have other, beside the abuser, betrayed you? (In relation to your abuse?)

My parents (namely my mother) didn't believe me at first so that was hard to deal with.  I also told some friends from the youth group that I belonged to.  They were from around the state.  At first they were supportive and encouraged me to report this to the police, but then their priest (it was a Catholic church) was caught with child po*n and suddenly they were advocating forgiveness and no persecution.  That hurt a lot.

3. Did you "tell" people in a way other then words about your abuse? (anorexia, withdrawing etc)

Yeah, I have cut myself for awhile.  I stopped that though.  My main problems now are withdrawing and overeating, both of which I'm trying to control now.

4. "The damage of betrayal is deepening the conviction that relationships can neither be enjoyed, trusted, nor expected to last" Do you agree with that statement? Why or why not?

I'd have to think about that more.

5. How do you see yourself now?

I am well on the way to healing.  I still have a way to go, but I"m more confident and not wanting to be silenced anymore.  I've seen some powerful results from telling my story.  I have rough days, but I feel a lot stronger now.

6. Have you begun to tell others about your abuse? What have your experiences been like?

Yes, I have told people about the abuse.  Most of my friends have been supportive.  I've also finally reported to the police and have worked with an amazing officer and advocate.  I was scared telling the officer because he was the first male I ever talked to about it, but Kristen, the advocate, was there to help ease the fears of doing that.  I've even told one of my guy friends which has brought us even closer.

7. Do you trust others? Do you trust yourself?

I am beginning to trust others again which I never thought I would be able to do.  I trust myself for the most part as well.

Lindsay

i was mostly silenced from my own self. i felt that what happened was somehow my fault and that i would never be able to explain things properly. i did tell a friend after it occured and she told me that she really could never see this man do what he did...perhaps i just misunderstood.

i kept to myself for the most part. i betrayed myself and my own integrity. i would drink ridiculous amounts and sleep all day. i lost myself. a couple of friends hurt me, but they didn't know what to do and it wasn't out of being mean.

3. Did you "tell" people in a way other then words about your abuse? (anorexia, withdrawing etc)

drinking. drinking A LOT. never attending classes. keeping to myself.

4. "The damage of betrayal is deepening the conviction that relationships can neither be enjoyed, trusted, nor expected to last" Do you agree with that statement? Why or why not?

i agree. i felt as though i would never have a fulfilling relationship. i lost my trust in people. but i am lucky and i met someone who really works on giving me that trust.

fragile. emotional. manic. depressed. hyper. strong. excited. more then just this event.

6. Have you begun to tell others about your abuse? What have your experiences been like?

some people could care less. i mostly keep it to myself.

no. i only trust someone if they show me that i can. when i walk in a room i stare at the exist sign. i pay attention to how people treat others around them.

sometimes i trust myself. i am learning to. as we all know, its a process.

Were you silenced by someone? How?
The first abuser who sexually abused me silenced me by telling me if I told anyone he would kill my mother.  When I was raped I silenced myself out of fear and shame
Have other, beside the abuser, betrayed you? (In relation to your abuse?)

My mother betryaed me by telling me that being raped was my fault. I have since confronted her aboout it and she apologized which gave me the courage to tell he about the sexual abuse.  

Did you "tell" people in a way other then words about your abuse? (anorexia, withdrawing etc)
I did but not for years later. When both incidents first happened, I pushed it down way deep inside of me so I didn't have to deal with what happened.  When the PTSD symptoms started coming up and all this stuff was pushed to the surface I used withdrawing, anorexia/Bulimia and self injury
The damage of betrayal is deepening the conviction that relationships can neither be enjoyed, trusted, nor expected to last" Do you agree with that statement? Why or why not?

I do not agree with this statement I think that as damging as betrayl is you can still have a meanigdul relationship with the right person and enjoy it and trust that person.

How do you see yourself now?
I see myself right now in recovery strugglign with it but in it.  I see myself as getting stronger every day that I continue the fight by making progress in therapy and coming to terms with and processing what happened instead of hiding behind unhealthy coping mechanisims(eatign disorder and self injury)
Have you begun to tell others about your abuse? What have your experiences been like?

Yes I have begun to talk to people about it instead of hiding behind shame.  I have told my two closest friends, I recently told my husband abotu the sexual abuse (he knew I was raped) and I told my Mom .

Do you trust others? Do you trust yourself?

I do trust myself and am workign on the trust issues I have towards others.  I am slowly starting to trust people more and more and am finally learning how to trust men.  I think i will always have a degree of distrust for men but it is getting better

1.Were you silenced by someone? How?  

Not exactly in the way you would expect...i told my psychologist and it got reported, my mom found out...that fucked me up and i didn't want to talk about it with anyone after that.

not exactly....his wife stayed with him, said she didn't want me coming around, but that's understandable from her side..it still hurt a lot though that she didn't know if she believed me or not. THen i put myself into a lot of situations i didn't need to be in because of the way i fealt about myself where people took advantage of me.

I was bulimic for a few years, a self injurer....i withdrew, yes, i cried all the time.....i was depressed......slept around...

I'm tired of trusting people and getting betrayed, so sometimes i get leery....but on the other hand, i trust people too much sometimes i think. It is hard to look at myself and see a person people actually like being around though.

I'm a lot happier than i used to be, i don't have the void i used to have, but i still feel lost in a way....different

I have told a few people....most were bad. Like my psychologist reporting it was fucked up, understandable though.....he had to. but that fucked me up still. My aunt was the most supportive/helped me the most with it when i told her. my dad just said ok, that was it. that pissed me off...then he came back and said the more he thought about it, the more it pissed him off, so who knows.

That's a hard one to answer. I have some sort of trust in others and myself, but i don't know sometimes if i even trust that i could have a good relationship with anyone.....i feel like they'd abandon me for some reason or leave me.

Guest no1savedmeisavedme

I was silenced by my father who was embarrassed that our community would think I was "a whore".  I was silenced by my family in general who said rape is nothing and if I only "laid back and enjoyed it, it wouldn't be a problem, so don't tell other people that it happened to you because you are the only one who thinks it deserves to be recognized as something bad"

My roommate in my group home made lude comments to other residents about it and told them I was obviously lying because the way I said it made no sense. Not that that could be due to my being afraid and not being able to speak clearly!--a bit of sarcasm helps lighten things

I cut myself for a couple years, I withdrew, I cried constantly

Yes.  I think people who are abused and then betrayed see it as proof that they are "unlovable" and just generally not worth life.  

damaged and naiive

I tell people who I think could benefit from knowing.  I usually get people who are a bit stand offish and have no clue how to respond, but I usually achieve what I set out to achieve:  the realization by others that rape happens to real people.

I don't trust anyone except for professionals bound by law.  I don't trust myself because I am vulnerable to trusting the wrong people.

• 2 months later...

1. Were you silenced by someone? How?  By my family who refused to believe that their 4 year old daughter had been raped by someone they were supposed to trust.

2. Have other, beside the abuser, betrayed you? (In relation to your abuse?)  Yes, someone I considered a friend used his knowledge of what happened to mock me in front of others.

3. Did you "tell" people in a way other then words about your abuse? (anorexia, withdrawing etc)  With my website and a few other hints I threw out there, that no one got.

4. "The damage of betrayal is deepening the conviction that relationships can neither be enjoyed, trusted, nor expected to last" Do you agree with that statement? Why or why not?   I agree that it deepens the doubts, but not necessarily the truth

5. How do you see yourself now?  Growing slowly

6. Have you begun to tell others about your abuse? What have your experiences been like?  Very slowly, and I have still been very much ignored...

7. Do you trust others? Do you trust yourself?   No

• 3 weeks later...
Guest crystalbutterfly81

1. Were you silenced by someone? No, but fear silenced me not to tell anyone about the rape for three months

2. Have other, beside the abuser, betrayed you? (In relation to your abuse?)My sister used my rape to cheat on her fiance, by using me as a n excuse; my lawyer betrayed me by telling my mother about the rape, who I never wanted to tell. my bestfriend who told her siter even though i didnt want her tell anyone

3. Did you "tell" people in a way other then words about your abuse? (anorexia, withdrawing etc) I was completly nuts,  a cted out. Once I even left my journal somewhere with  a graphic poem about in it, hoping someone woul read it and help me,.  I also overate

4. "The damage of betrayal is deepening the conviction that relationships can neither be enjoyed, trusted, nor expected to last" Do you agree with that statement? Why or why not? Yes, if someone betrays you how can you trust them?

5. How do you see yourself now?I am much stronger than I was even before the rape. I am survivor and  iHave alot self confidence that  I never had before. I am smarter about men and difficult situations

6. Have you begun to tell others about your abuse? What have your experiences been like?When I first told my bestfriend she made me feel  guilty. My sister was suppoerive but she did betray me (as stated before). My mother has never talked to me about it, I dont know what she thinks. My friends are supportive.

7. Do you trust others? Do you trust yourself?I wary about who I tell, but I do tust. Sometimes I still dont trust my judgement, and think the rape was fault

I was silenced by my family situation.  I knew that there was nowhere else for me to go if I told someone my father was an abuser.  My mother is completely dependent on him.  Telling just made my family situation weird (though not bad), and I'm still in it, why?

My mother betrayed me by not realizing what was happening to me.  I guess denial was her coping mechanism at the time.

I withdrew into my room all the time listening to depressing music.  I started cutting myself and writing depressing things on myself a lot (a teacher in school actually made fun of me in front of the whole class for this as I was writing how much I wanted to die on my arm, wtf?  I gave him the "I would kill you right now" look... you know the one I mean...).

I agree that betrayal makes it difficult to believe that any relationship can be trusted, but I don't know about the rest.  I still enjoy relationships and hope they'll last, though I see how repeated betrayal could make you believe these are unattainable goals.

As a very strong person who should be strong enough to move out, but is scared that she might not be, and so is currently putting off the issue.  I think I fear most that I became dependant on my abuser for the life requirements that he provides (food, shelter, etc).  I guess I see myself as a little unsure about what I really want.

I have and they've all been positive and supportive responses (I'm very lucky).  I usually wait until the other person has shared difficult things with me before I delve into the issue though.

I think I trust others sometimes more than I should.  I'm trying to believe mankind is generally good when my mind knows that most of it is not.  I trust my perception of people probably too much.  I feel like I should change it before this gets me hurt again.  So I guess really, no, I don't trust myself.

Very interesting, my dear Watson...  I didn't know I thought these things...

LGL

I silenced myself, I think. I just did not talk about it.

Not really. I have only told a handful of people, and one of them kinda blew it off, made what I told her seem unimportant. The others were very supportive.

I did a complete 180. I was always going out to parties and being the partier, as college freshmen sometimes do. After it happened, I stopped going out so much, came home early, was always the designated driver and would actually take several trips back and forth to a party all night taking people home when they wanted. I pretty much stopped sleeping at night. I also became very concerned with everyone else's safety, like a mom, knew where they were going and with who.

I sorta agree. Once betrayed by a close friend, an ex-boyfriend, I find it hard to trust others. As far as relationships wtih guys, I generally don't expect them to last. Even now, with my boyfriend who I love to pieces, I am not convinced it will last, even though he thinks it will. But I can certainly enjoy the relationship. I don't know...

Right now, I am in a huge state of confusion about my life in general.

I have told a few people. It has been very hard to get the words out, but I feel relief after I have said it. Usually I tell because something else happened and I feel as though I need to explain myself. Like when I saw him when I was out with friends and I freaked out.  

I do not trust others easily, there are many people who I trust. But sometimes I think I trust people that I shouldn't. As far as trusting myself, sometimes I do, but I don't because I trusted the guy who raped me.

The first time I was silenced for a long time by the abuser telling me my mother would be angry with me if I told, however I did tell and was not believed.  The second time I silenced myself because I knew I would not be believed.

My Mother has betrayed me because she didn't listen to me as a small child because I think she was too scared to face it.  And for turning the other way and not seeing what was happening in her own home the second time.  I feel betrayed by my sister because as I was about to "confess recently (as she had been hinting that she knew what was wrong), she told me that she wanted no involvement.  

I don't remember after the first time.  During the second period I made up an illness because I thought being in hospital I would be safe, when that failed I went off the rails totally thinking it might get me taken away from there, when that failed I used to starve myself so that I would feel numb inside, then I blocked everything out.  Recently though I have had a breakdown and become depressed and withdrawn.

Unwell, unstable, vulnerable, disassociated sometimes, weak, dirty, stupid, worthless, confused and alone.  But I do want to get better and stronger.

I told my boyfriend two years ago, but since blocked it out again and refused to face it.  He's been nothing but supportive and has helped a lot, but discourages me from telling others because he has trust issues (he's a survivor himself).  I have told my boss - but not details - following breakdown and having to take sick leave, and over email not face to face! i'm still a coward!  I told my best friend but have not found her to be very supportive, she feels that it's such a long time ago (although it only very recently ended) that I should be over it.  She also likens it to a sexual relationship she had when she was 14....but that was consensual, so I don't understand where she's coming from.  And i've told on here, and that has been very helpful.

I trust my boyfriend - I lean on him at the moment.  I have been too trusting of anyone in the past, just looking for someone who wouldn't let me down.  But they all did.  I can't trust myself at the moment, i'm unreliable.

Sorry it's so long, Molly xx

• 5 months later...

I never talked a lot when I was growing up. Shyness was not foreign to me, either. I was raped at 6 and didn't talk about it, let alone remember it until 10 years later. I'm not surprised I didn't say anything, the silencing came more from my parents then the guy who raped me. I was taught to not cry, or say I'm hurt, or ask for help, because my parents often harshly yelled at me when doing so. I was molested at 14, by a sort-of-boyfriend, but didn't say anything. I thought I had asked for it by putting myself in a situation where he could do the things he did. Friends thought I had a crush on this boy, so I figured they wouldn't believe me anyway. I remembered my dad molesting me at an early age, when I was 17. I hadn't said anything for all those years because I didn't remember. Though I write about these experiences, it's rare for me to talk about them. I've begun to find my voice, but haven't found it just yet... Fear is the biggest cause of silence for me.

2. Have others, beside the abuser, betrayed you? (In relation to your abuse?)

For a long time I thought my mom betrayed me since my dad was the abuser, but I'm not sure she ever really knew. I'm quite sure she doesn't believe me now. That feels like betrayal in some form, I'm just not completely sure how.

cutting, bulimia, anorexia, writing, painting, silencing myself, dissociating...

I agree that betrayal does deepen those thoughts, but I also think we can learn to trust again with time. I agree because I've felt that many times myself. But at the same time I've learned to find faith in people and trust them again.

On the inside, I think I may be okay--meaning I believe my heart is good, and there are characteristics I do like. Yet more often than not I despise my outer appearance. There are times I struggle with feeling worthless and inconsequential to life.

Most of my experiences have been good ones. I had a wonderful therapist for about 2 years, who has helped me to grow and has deeply affected my heart and life. I've had caring, generous, loving, genuine, amazing, therapists and people to share these parts of my life with. I am grateful that the experiences have been good ones.

I'm learning to trust others. I'm also learning to trust myself more often and really pay attention to me. There's been too much time passed where I haven't done that.

• 2 years later...

Only by myself. I felt like it wouldn't have happened if I had been responsible enough to stop drinking, or strong enough to stay in control of myself. I told my older sister, who was the one who told me that what had happened was rape, and that I should be angry.

No. I am fortunate, my family was shocked and sad that I had not come to them, but they didn't doubt me or call me a liar. My own mind thought I was a liar, but no one around me that knew was ever rude or degrading about it.

For a couple of months after it I withdrew from the world. I stayed in my dorm room when I wasn't in class. I wasn't afraid of him so much, but I did not want to see him walking around unexpected. I was angry more than anything else. I was angry at myself for letting it happen, and when I confronted him about it, at the suggestion of my sister, and with others nearby just in case, he rudely suggested I clue him in to what he was supposedly at fault for, claiming to have been to drunk to remember it. I felt robbed of my what was supposed to be my victory over him, and I was very upset.

There are good people in this world. People who still believe that a relationship is more than sex, more than physical, who spend their entire lives with someone they love and trust implicitly. I still believed in that. Sometimes I felt like it is a pipe dream, but for some reason I couldn't let go of that hope. And now, I am in a very loving relationship, with a man who is unlike any other I've come across, I know that there are those who won't betray.

I'm growing, I'm a work in progress. But if I suffer for what happened, I know it's not alone anymore. I have loved one's who I can talk to or just be with in those times, and that is a great comfort.

I have. My sister knows, as well as my mom and one of my aunts. If they have told anyone else I don't know. My boyfriend knows, as well as my close friends. My experience has been as good as I can hope. My family has been angry, not at me but at him. My boyfriend has known for about 6 months, and has been supportive for the whole time.

I trust everyone to a point. I trust fully Matthew (my boyfriend), my mother, and my sister, and myself.

I think my abusers made an effort to keep me quiet but I don't remember any specific threats. I do remember they told me it was my fault, that I deserved it, that they had the right to do it because of this or that. I believed them, and I didn't believe. I believed other people would see it their way, I guess you could say, they did convince me that, at best, talking would get me into more trouble than it would them. I just had a feeling I would get tbe blame.

I was also silenced by my relationship with my parents, in that my dad punished me using the same line - "You deserve this, I have the right to do this" - and that line of logic felt just as wrong with him as with them. In both situations there was a part of me that was just sure they were wrong, that what they were doing was wrong, but at the same time everyone seemed to agree with their assessment and not mine. I was about five when this all started, maybe six, just starting to seriously wonder if maybe my version of reality wasn't the real one. :P

But since they seemed to be coming from the same place as my dad, even if they didn't tell me I'd get in trouble if I talked, I think I would have been silent. From my perspective my dad was always flipping out over things I said, his reaction was very unpredictable and he was outraged by things I thought innocuous, and my mom always took his side, so I didn't tell them much of anything every anyhow.

The first incident of CSA, my best friend (a guy a year or so older than me) got me into it. I don't think he realized exactly what they had in mind, but he was using me to "get in with the older boys". He stayed after they had me pinned down and were poking at my private parts, but I don't consider him an abuser any more because I don't think he really went in knowing what was going to happen and I don't remember him having anything to do with what followed. Plus he was maybe seven years old. :rolleyes: And when he accidentally hit me in the head with a rock later during a rock fight I ran through, I think a great part of his repentence and sorrow was over setting me up to be abused, I guess. We stuck together fairly well until my family moved out of state when I was seven but the friendship was never the same. He didn't shun me but it wasn't right from his end, either.

After an incident of adult SA, the only one I ever talked about (actually, the guy talked first, pushed me into talking), I felt betrayed because. even though the guy who did it called it rape, my friends kept insisting it must have been a misunderstanding, that I must have sent mixed signals or something. The guy who was there said he knew full well I didn't want it, but my friends still tried to convince me otherwise. <_< I dunno if that's really betrayal, though. Sure felt like it was.

I always thought I hid it well but my mom told me a few years back that she knew I was closing my parents out when I was five or six and never knew why. I'm 46 and still haven't told her much, although I did tell about the one incident my friend was involved in. The thought of discovery terrified me; even when part of me wanted someone to know the fear was stronger than the wanting. I often wanted to self-harm but didn't because I was afraid it would be noticed and then people would start asking questions.

I do agree with it, although I don't argue that the damage is life long - it can be healed, at least when it comes to certain people. I was always okay with friendships until they hit a certain point of closeness, then I'd shut down. My closest friends do not necessarily know a lot about me, but they accept me and appreciate a certain level of distance and formality. For instance, my best friend and I in high school would read together - not the same book - on sleep overs as much or more as we talked. We were close because we accepted the distance we both needed, somehow. I have never had a close friend who would pry, I have always had to have complete control over what I share and what I reveal.

The odd thing is, that while I find it hard to relax and enjoy relationships, and expect them to end quickly, I don't always expect to be betrayed. When I first got married I was sure my husband was going to leave me; the past five years or so, now that it's clear to me that'll never happen, I've been convinced he's going to die early. :rolleyes: What unnerves me is that I have been faced with all my greatest fears in my life, and that fear he'll die is rapidly moving to the top of the list. :o

For years I saw myself as wrong, bad, fundamentally flawed, misdesigned from the git go, just wrong, which is a totally inadequate word for the depth of the wrongness I feel but there is no word or concept that can convey it. Worthless, so profoundly worthless, but not just worthless because I didn't and couldn't perform to expectations - worthless because I was not what was wanted in the first place. Wothless because I was never right, ever, and there was no hope of ever being right; my greatest hope was of being replaced. The best thing I could do would be to die because I was somehow blocking out the person who should have been there by my own existence, only I was forbidden to kill myself because only God has the right to decide when you die, so I was doomed to a lifetime of being a negation, a negative, a barrier to what was right.

Even at best, I saw myself as out of kilter and weird. Now, the more I research it and particularly since coming to Pandy's, I've begun to realize I'm pretty normal, almost average, for someone with my background. :P Everyone reacts to SA and CSA in their own way, but there are patterns I fit into. Understanding dissociation clarified huge amounts of my personality, explained why I react to so many things as I do, helped lessen my frustration and anger with myself for the way I reacted to things because I realized it's how my brain works and not some bizarre self-sabotage thing going on. So now I guess I see myself as human, in the process of healing, rather than as this foul blot blocking the way of good things.

I've not told many outside of Pandy's, and what I've told isn't much. My husband has a rough idea of what I've dealt with, and knew from the first about some of it (we were engaged less than a month after the last SA). His response has ranged from taking advantage of my weak spots to very supportive, depending on how well he's doing (he's got issues :rolleyes: ). Mostly, however, he's been supportive, and he hates himself when he takes advantage - I only freeze up in sexual situations; I can usually challenge the guy after, and generally do....

I've told a few friends in a very vague way and they've been supportive in the general, "You're a good person who didn't deserve this" sort of way but don't want to hear about it, sometimes adding the, "you should get counseling" bit. :P But considering the nature of my friendships, I don't have a problem with that. I told my parents about the first incident of CSA, which was the most minor, and my mom got all fussed so I haven't bothered talking to them about any of the rest of it, but don't really want to, either. It's none of their business and there's nothing they can do about it except feel badly and like they'd failed me, so I don't see much point to it. I have confronted them on issues related to the CSA without mentioning the CSA, and their response as been fairly positive and supportive, in that they recognize they didn't do so well sometimes instead of laying all the blame on me. Which is a major step up from their attitudes at the time. ;)

I want to change the world for the sake of others, so that abuse won't be so common, but I don't see where my talking about my own experience will do that. I think getting out information on how the brain works and stuff like that is the best angle of approach for me - others talk about their own experiences and that's great, but it's just not my thing. At this point I think I would have no problem saying I was abused or raped if the issue came up in conversation, so in that sense I'm willing to be public about the bare facts of it, but beyond that I really don't care to share.

7. Do you trust others?

Not a trusting soul, nope. It takes a long time to get my trust, and that trust is easily broken. I still don't completely trust my hubby after knowing him for twenty years, although admittedly there's a sense where he's betrayed me more than once due to his own limitations. OTOH, I know and understand his limitations, and I can see how he's changed and grown, and he's probably worthy of my profound trust at this point but I just can't give it. I don't trust guys if there's the remotest possibility they might be sexually attracted to me. I don't trust people who remind me of my abusers, who have similar interests, even though I recognize this is pure prejudice on my part. I don't trust people who remind me of my dad, ditto. I have huge trust issues when it comes to anyone in authority, which I handle mostly by avoiding authorities. :D

And even when I do not specifically distrust someone, I'm not likely to share much, risk much.

Do you trust yourself?

Where I think I'm trustworthy. ;) I have a fair graps of my limitations at this point, I think, so it's easier to trust myself than it used to be.

Sheryl

:oh: :oh: :oh: What Sheryl said! I would have written all those answers almost exactly the same but you wrote them better than I ever could.

I was only silenced by myself. What happened to me happened in seperate incidents and I just failed to belive that people woulc carry on beleiving me after the second time.

Noone beleived me. Everyone I told about either incidents carried on being the perps friend in alot of cases more then me. My close friends told me it wasn't a big deal....they would spend time with him for weed more then me. My other friend told everyone she could that I was no longer a virgin, when really I considered myself one. I did not consentually give my virginity away....I was still a virgin..... The police too did nothing,

Untill the last year when I have been really tackleing it I would cut myself several times a day. I also fall into bulimic and anorexic thinking sometimes, but I try and keep that too under control

Yes. I think people who are abused and then betrayed see it as proof that they are "unlovable" and just generally not worth life. <<<---what they said

Better then i did. Alot of the time I sitll see myself as contaminated and damaged and worthless and ugly and empty. Sometimes I do feel better about myself now though..sometimes I like myself

Other then On here I never talk about what happened anymore. I was really open about it at first, due to noone beliveing me I seemed to tell people in the hope that someone will tell me it wasnt my fault and sort me out...noone ever did though

There is one person i trust in the whole world completely...and then about 2 or I almost completely trust...that is it....As for trusting myself ..I'm not sure I do secretly I don't trust myself to keep me safe

• 1 month later...
miss_sunflower

My first abuser and the friend that was abused with me -- I still see my abuser, and he still scares me. And I still haven't told my family because of the fact that taking action in such a small town scares me so much. And I feel like my friend lead me into this bad situation and because I was a weaker person, totally fell into all of her manpulative traps.

Again, my friend I was abused with. Although I needed her support, we never talked about it. And later on in life, she began to mercilessly bully me and torment me at school with other kids -- plus I believe she told people about the abuse, while leaving herself out of the equation.

I withdrew even more than I did before (I'm shy by nature), I find myself to be a very angry, quiet, selfish person, and I have a lot of trouble sometimes, controlling my hostility towards people.

I find this to be true, in a way. Sometimes I get a crush on someone, someone that I care about and would love to have a relationship with, but at the same time the prospect of "relationship" is TERRIFYING for me, and I put up walls because of the fact that I can't imagine myself enjoying intimacy with someone, even someone I genuinely like and see myself falling in love with. In addition, when I forge a relationship, even a friendship, with a guy I don't expect him to enjoy my company back or be my long-lasting friend, and I believe that's my abused self fabricating these thoughts.

I feel that before last year when I started to come to terms with the abuse, 10 years later too, I was much weaker and less empowered than I am now that I am starting to tell people close to me. I feel like that I am starting to purge myself and talk and write and seek help in regards to my CSA, is a sign that I am stronger, more apt to handle difficulties of the past, and much more mature than before. But at the same time, I see myself as someone with permanently damaged confidence and trust.

Yes, but only VERY recently. I have told the people that I am in a creative writing workshop with, because I feel in order to understand the darkness I portray in my world, they needed to understand my CSA. I have also told two close friends (close emotionally, but not geographically) over email, but close friends I see in person on a regular basis still don't know -- I find it VERY hard to tell these people in person, and may never. My experiences telling were positive everytime. The people in my class were supportive and grateful for my bravery,and my friends both believed and offered support or a shoulder to cry on, and said they would find it almost impossible to look at me differently than they did before they knew. They're true friends and I love them.

I have sort of a strange answer for this. I have seen so many stories about women who suffer abuse repeated times, and because of personal traits I won't disclose, I don't trust myself just because I am afraid of wandering into a situation when I will be abused again. I don't trust myself with men because I am afraid they will manipulate me the way my abuser did. In terms of trusting others, I do -- I have had a lot of love in my life, and support from people who didn't even know about the abuse and may never -- and because I have only wandered into one bad situation like CSA, I believe in the good of the people I surround myself with regularly and trust them all deeply.

Edited by miss_sunflower

No. I silenced myself i guess.

No, i never told anyone.

I withdrew. And i think in a way i'm still doing it.

Yes i agree. It's hard enough dealing with an event like this without having betrayal added into the mix. I personally find it hard to see past the moment, and if you can't see a future then it's quite hard to envision a relationship lasting.

I don't really know. I can't help but wonder how i might have turned out had it not happened. I don't think i've even begun to deal with it properly though...just shut off and avoided it for years. As a result i'm too hard...i don't know how to feel.

No, i don't know how. I don't feel comfortable enough with anyone to discuss it.

Not with anything important. It's not real trust. As for myself...i guess so yeah. I don't think i have a choice but to trust myself. I feel like i've gotten myself this far so i can keep myself going.

Thanks, that exercise is really helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
soulconstance

Yes. Told to be quiet.

Not in relation to the abuse, no.

****TRIGGER****

I was hyper-active as a kid, which I think was a wall that was put up to try and make everyone believe everything was ok... mainly because I'm not as hyper now unless I intake a lot of sugar.

I also cut since right after sixth grade. Cutting for a little way was the only way I could do anything, I felt.... it was my only control over the world. I could cut and all the pain would go away and I'd feel completely in control. I eventually started cutting in places people couldn't see so that they wouldn't know. But I'm sure it started out as a cry for help.

I also got EDNOS which consumed my life for about two years (I got very sick very fast.... After about six months I started getting light headed and getting so weak that I'd roll out of bed just to smoke a cigarette so that I wouldn't eat and then go back to bed --- I skipped a lot of school). *****T***** I started making myself throw up when I tried to stop cutting. I used that for awhile... when I got too sick from that I started starving myself. I would bounce in between crying out for help and wanting to disapear because it was almost killing me and no one even noticed when I'd fluctuate weight and drop 20 pounds in two weeks. (Though right after I told my girlfriend I passed out (I knew I was getting dizzy... I knealed down and they told me I needed to stand up because we were getting into the car. I stood up and got my head then littler just fell straight down without being able to do anything. They picked me up and moved me to a safe place and I had a seizure. That's when I decided that was something I needed to change.)

I've given up trying to tell most people in my life about what hurts me. I know I can't say it bluntly, so I just write it instead.... or blog it. I try to deal with things on my own so I don't have to worry anyone or involve someone in what I consider 'my drama'.

I would have to say that it certainly feels that way.

It really depends on my day. Some days, all I see is the weirdness. Other days, I see a creative girl who's making emotional progress every day.

People have known about the rapes since about six months or so after the first one. And I told my counselor (who told my parents and my brother's PO) about it.... about three years ago.

I trust others better than myself, and I still don't trust anyone completely.

Edited by soulconstance

Here are my answers! (I do them too!)

I believe that I was mollested by my father at a very young age. I was afraid of him. He also physically and verbally abused me until I moved away at age 18.

I was mollested at age five, and then again by a teacher when I was in the 10th Grade. I have been date-raped on numerous occasions. I have a history of relationships with abusive alcoholics.

W3. Did you "tell" people in a way other then words about your abuse? (anorexia, withdrawing etc)

I tried to tell my Mother, but due to her own drug and alcohol addictions, she didn't believe me. When she learned that I had had sex with my boyfriend (at that same time) she called me a "whore" and a "slut" whenever she saw me.

I began acting out with the drugs, sex, and ED's. I also was a discipline problem, being truant from school and being disruptive(angry) in high school. I also sold drugs in school.

I4. "The damage of betrayal is deepening the conviction that relationships can neither be enjoyed, trusted, nor expected to last" Do you agree with that statement? Why or why not?

I don't trust anyone- even now, after years of being in so-called recovery from drugs and alcohol.

My last long- term relationship was with an abusive alcoholic, who called me a "whore" and a "slut" on a daily basis, just as my Mother did. This reactivated my Eating disorders, which is the behavior I am currently trying to eradicate. Working on the issues surrounding eating triggered the memories of the childhood sexual abuse. That is how I discovered this website, which has been a real help.

I5. How do you see yourself now?

I still don't like myself.

Have you begun to tell others about your abuse? What have your experiences been like?

I have told my female friends in the Program about the High School teacher. The response has been positive. Many other women have had similar experiences.

I trust some people, but not the way I would like. I don't trust the man I am currently involved with. He is a womanizer. We don't have any degree of intimacy.

Ok, so I have sat down and answered these questions the best that I can. I know that I have raved on a bit, but…oh well…

1. Where you silenced by someone? How?

Let me see, everyone who abused me threatened me, and scared me into silence. If I wasn’t quiet, then I would be in trouble, and people who I wouldn’t want to knew about any of this would find out. In a way, I also silenced myself. I didn’t want to admit anything that had happened.

Yes. I feel as though everyone has betrayed me. everyone but a friend. I feel as though my parents have betrayed my trust. I feel like a friend of 7 years has betrayed our friendship. I feel like a friend of 4 years has betrayed my trust to confide in her..she went and told her fiancé and future sister-in-law as well what I had told her about myself. I feel like I souldnt trust her anymore. I feel like everyone else has just betrayed me by just being there to help me. most of all though, I feel as though god has betrayed my life. I still don’t understand how so many things could happen to me in a world that is meant to be full of love and peace and hope. Everyone has betrayed me. everyone.

3. Did you “tell” other people in a way other then words about your abuse? (anorexia, withdrawing etc)

Definitely. I tried to tell people that I was not alright by doing things that I would not normally do. I stopped talking to people. I only spoke when it had absolutely nothing to do with me. my parents thought that I was turning into an adult and were happy. My friends thought that I just needed some time to myself. Teachers at school thought that I wanted to do better in my school work. When people didn’t see that there was something wrong with me, I started to cut my wrists with anything sharp. People noticed then and I stopped, I suppose that I cared to much about others to leave the world at that time. But I still wasn’t ok. I still needed someone. I had no one. I put on a face and almost two years on I started to draw. Draw my feelings onto paper. i showed some people - but only those who i thought i could trust. i went quiet again and then i couldnt hold onto the face anymore and i started to lack in my work. and i stopped eating as well. i tried a lot. i tried.

4. “The damage of betrayal is deepening the conviction that relationships can neither be enjoyed, trusted, nor expected to last” Do you agree to that statement? Why or why not?

Yes and no. if the relationship is weak, then I have to agree. If the hurt is deep enough, then I have to agree. But if the relationship is strong, then there is a chance for mending to be done. I don’t however, believe that the pieces can be mended fully. Ever. Again.

I see myself as a mess. I don’t think I will ever be able to work through everything that has happened to me. Ever. I am a wreck. A mental wreck. I will never be able to change from what I have become. Never.

6. Have you ever begun to tell others about your abuse? What have your experiences been like?

The first few people that I told didn’t care, so I didn’t tell anyone else. When I did have to tell someone, because I broke down, they were shocked and said a lot of nasty things about my abusers and comforted me. when I told a therapist about what had happened, it helped only a small amount. She spoke more about herself than me. it actually made things worse. There is only one person who has helped me a lot, that is a close friend. I told two other friends, but one told people close to her and the other friend I really know her well enough to trust her entirely. I am soon to tell another therapist about what happened, but I am not sure about what will happen. I hope that some good will come out of it – I hope.

There is no one left, except for one friend, who I do trust. I haven’t found trust in anyone – not even my parents. I don’t trust myself anymore… I stopped trusting myself when I started to SI. Everytime I d something more to my body and evertime I run and hide, I trust just a little bit less of myself each time. Slowly I wont have anything left in myself to trust. Soon.

well, thats that. it was a bit hard, but relieving...

orankey

~SugarNSpice~

I silenced myself. I didnt want anyone to know so I pretened it didnt

The only person I ever told before coming here was my husband. He accidentally let it slip to a friend and I went crazy. I couldnt sleep or eat for days, afraid that our friendship would change, scared he may mention something to my family, and completly questioning my husbands trust.

3. Did you “tell” other people in a way other then words about your abuse? (anorexia, withdrawing etc)

With all the other shit going on in my life, they figured it was because of something else. No money, stress at work, i did withdraw but noone noticed since i was on an opposite schedule fro everyone. I would stress eat, and drink like a fish, smoke like a chimmney. Still do.

4. “The damage of betrayal is deepening the conviction that relationships can neither be enjoyed, trusted, nor expected to last” Do you agree to that statement? Why or why not?

To a degree. I trust my husband. He is the only person who I have ever complety trusted and depened on. But I dont know if we are strong enough to last. I apparently dont trust him as much as I should, I think you have to find someone who understands and is willing to work through it, not get pissy each time you question the trust

I see myself as somone who puts on a happy face, and everyone else comes first, becuse it is easier than looking at my own life and trying to see what I want. i see myself as someone who wants to be confident and fun and sure of herself, but who is scared and confused and giving up

6. Have you ever begun to tell others about your abuse? What have your experiences been like?

I wrote alot at first and kept everything hidden. The story I have posted i wrote quite a while ago, it only took 4 hours of me going back and forth as to whether to push the send button or not. The only person i have ever told is my husband. He was very supportive, but i dont think he really understands. And he has a different outlook on things. I have had only good experiences here, and it is difficult, but releasing.

I unfortunatly have some deep ingrown love for my fellow man. i am too trusting of people, which is how i probably got hurt in the first place. I dont believe everything, but I can be pretty trusting.

I trust myself with somethings. I know what my limits are and i never push them. the only person I trust is my husband. And i havent told him everything. I havent trusted him enough to be able to tell him I' here trying to get help, I dont want to bring it up, it makes me feel dirty, like i'm doing something wrong

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. By a gun, knife...threatened into silence. Also I thought if I told someone...than that would make it real...and I didn't want itto be real.

Yes..when I told my mother for the first time...she actually told me I was lying...and when I kept insisting that I wasn't she went to the people I mentioned and asked them...after that she told about 6 more people. After that I just quit telling her stuff..

I became anorexic...then when they almost put me in the hospital on a feeding tube...I became bulimic. I withdrew from everything and everyone. I started smoking, running away, getting in trouble with the cops, and cutting.

Yes I agree with the statement. I feel the same way about all my relationships.

I see a scared little girl, who doesn't quite understand everything, and questions everything. I see myself as a failure, not worthy of anything.

Yes...I told my mother (read number 2 for her response), I told my a few of the guys I dated/engaged to...most did the same thing to me after I told them, only one of them didn't....but he really didn't care..everytime I tried to talk about it...he just rolled his eyes and changed the subject. I'm slowly telling my girlfriend...so far so good...maybe because she's been through a lot too.

I have a hard time trusting people but I'm working on it. I used to be a very trusting person....but that changed. I have a hard time trusting myself..

• 2 weeks later...
codenameanne

I was silenced by my bio dad, my adoptive dad, my step-brother, Greenberg, Yossi S., my synagogue etc

These people either abused me, abandoned me, raped me, molested me..etc. And along with that silenced by guns and threats and manipulation and force. having all your free will, power, trust, innocence, and love taken away from you silences a person.

2. Have other, beside the abuser, betrayed you?

(In relation to your abuse?)

My synagogue (Jewish church) from Greenberg’s attacks…

3. Did you "tell" people in a way other then words about

your abuse? (anorexia, withdrawing, etc).

I stopped eating, I withdrew from my social life and from him and became very introverted, I stopped doing things that made me me such as writing and singing, I started self-injury. No one seemed to take a hint.

4. "The damage of betrayal is deepening the conviction that

relationships can neither be enjoyed, trusted, nor

expected to last" Do you agree with that statement? Why

or why not?

I was hurt by someone who I loved and trusted and once you have been betrayed like that, its impossible to have that trust back.

Ugh. I don’t like how I see myself. I’m like a bird whose had her wings removed.

6. Have you begun to tell others about your abuse? What

have your experiences been like?

I don’t talk about it, unless just saying the facts and hiding all emotion. NO details.

I don’t trust anyone at all. I think I trust myself though.

Edited by codenameanne