Coping trics

els

Guest Littlest Star

HAHAHA Di stole mine....i love to pop in them Disney movies.....and calling a friend is good too...and walking.....and showers...but only REALLY hot ones!!! good work els!!! (((((HUGS TO ALL))))))**

Guest Dolphindreamer

This is a great thread :)

When things are tough, I often need to take some time for myself to try and recharge the batteries, sometimes I watch light-hearted t.v. programmes I loved when I was younger, I have quite a few on tape,have a nice snack and just try to take pleasure from the simplest of things like a beautiful sky or sunset

Emma

xxxxx

• 4 weeks later...

You gals are incredible.  My newst one is comming here.  Been on for hours now.  Talking on the phone but ouch the bill.  Sometimes the shower but sometimes I just wind up in the bottom of the tub.  Hugging the dogs, I live with 5 dig ones so that can get pretty entertaining.  I like to go for runs when things get really bad but haven't been able to do that lately I might have endo and pain & running don't mix.  What has worked really great latly has been to curl up in bed with the dogs.  I can't describe the safe feeling of being surounded by all of them.  Get all of us on the bed at the same time and there is no more room.  I'm so glad to have my pooches.  I'm going to try some of the music you were talking about...that sounded great.

Jen

• 2 months later...

Just a suggestion...

For those who feel/like/need to scrub... I made a great discovery... those bath gloves they sell are perfect for such an activity.. just be careful with them cause some are quite rough....

• 3 weeks later...

*L*

Mandy, I'm with you on that one. Despite my lack of disposable funds - I shop when I'm sad. It almost ALWAYS makes me feel better, playing with all of my new toys.

**new here**

wow! what excellent timing!!! on my lunch break i felt about two seconds from a breakdown and was wondering what other coping skills i could learn to get me through the day!!

music seems to be a common thread amongst all of our coping mechanisms, and it is my fave. i think it helps to hear the lyrics we can identify with and maybe not feel so alone. my faves are absolutely anything by tori, david gray - 'white ladder', sarah mclachlin 'fumbling towards ecstasy', pete yorn - 'musicforthemorningafter', and ok, everyone laughs at this one, but the newest album by tiffany, the color of silence. some really good songs are on there. (and fellow red-heads always rock! :))

my other technique is to grab absolutely anything to write on, and just let loose. i must have one of the biggest post it collections, ever.

or, i go to one of the survivor websites and i feel less alone. admittedly, sickened by how many of us there are, but still, less alone. escaping hades has helped me out A LOT. or i call my mom and i just listen to her voice...

i really appreciate being able to read about everyone else's coping strategies, it was a great topic to bring up!!!

• 4 months later...

booooooooooooooooost

Usually I hop on my treadmill and have a really aggressive walk, or if I can't handle the physical, I read a lot. I also like to write about whatever it is I am trying to cope with, but haven't done much of this lately.

(Edited by liadan at 7:04 pm on Aug. 5, 2002)

Great thread!

Here are mine:

1. Hot bubble baths

2. A new book - if I am in really bad shape and can't concentrate then I swear by second-hand romances. They are so undemanding and easy to read! And around here they are 4 for a dollar.

3. Music  - right now the Wyrd Sisters, Annie Lennox, Sinead O'Connor, Kate Bush, Indigo Girls, and Sarah of course. For seriously bad times - nothing beats Nancy Sinatras :These Boots Are Made For Walking"

4. Chick flicks - nothing triggering allowed.

5. Praying

6. Napping

7. and... SHOPPING! Even a new three dollar nose ring can cheer me up for quite a while

8. Sitting in my car, parked, in a safe place, with an Egg McMuffin, (my weakness) listening to CBC Canada Radio, and a cigarette to follow. Very reliable!

I loved ehearing everyone elses!

Renata

(Edited by Zoe at 9:41 pm on Aug. 5, 2002)

Music always makes me feel better, so does anything chocolate. I put on a song that makes me feel good and I get in the shower and let the hot water flow on me and I sing at the top of my lungs. I can't sing at all, but it makes me feel good! I also love going out shopping, getting a new shirt or pair of shoes keeps me happy for awhile.

• 7 months later...

I should have looked for this before posting in My Voice.  I'm sorry.  Thanks for this thread, I'm going to read the whole thing.  

luv,

Yemaya

• 2 weeks later...

when it all gets too much i indulge my childish side wildly. My loungeroom is now mostly a cubbyhouse construction now of old bedsheets and chairs and pegs tied together to make a wierd kind of tent thing. But as a kid, I was always safe in the cubbyhouses i built where no one could find me, and i could imagine that absolutely anything was on the other side of the hanging sheets.

ps. I also found it gets harder to make a cubbyhouse when you're older, its tricky to make one i fit into!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am feeling super-down right now, and reading all of these coping ideas is helping.  Thank you all.

I think I will go outside for a walk and a smoke....and remember that I'm not alone.

• 9 years later...
Roaring_Gryphon
...other things that work for me are the taking-care-of-myself things...putting a mask on...

I wanted to read that out of context and think you meant a "costume" type mask or something like that.

Because I actually do something kind of like that.

I have negative associations with my own feet,

so I have a custom pair of big funny slippers to wear over them when i'm in the house. helps a lot with body image stuff for me. :yahoo:

wont describe the slippers in specific detail, kinda personal about the nature of them even though the slippers themselves couldnt possibly be considered inapprorpiate or offensive

• 3 weeks later...

I drive & I sing. It really helps if I can bring along a trusted friend. But if I can't then I just sing all the louder. I literally drown the world out until I can't help but laugh at myself. But I have to make sure the music is right or it can get ugly.