You didn't report it...

This is my first post.....I'm nervous. I want to know if I tell anyone like a therapist does that mean that legally they have to report it to the police? i was a child, it was so long ago but I'm afraid if anyone found out I would have to go to the police

lilmisslilly

My rapist used to taunt me for a few years after the initial event. He stopped about a year ago but just the other day he came into my workplace with a girl I've never seen before. Feelings of guilt and pain flooded through me. I couldn't help but feel that if he had already hurt her or was going to hurt her like he hurt me, that it was all my fault that I didn't stop him. I felt horrible. I started to realize, after talking to my best friend, that if there were girls before me that he did this to, I wouldn't blame them. How could I blame myself? It's really just your own feelings towards the situation. I regret not going to the police or doing anything about it. It was the day before my thirteenth birthday. I was young and afraid, I don't know how I have made it this far, but it gets easier. Don't feel guilty. As many posts have already said, he is responsible for his actions. Nothing you have done, or not done, could change that. peace and love, take care.

This is my first post.....I'm nervous. I want to know if I tell anyone like a therapist does that mean that legally they have to report it to the police? i was a child, it was so long ago but I'm afraid if anyone found out I would have to go to the police

Annon, I am new here and am dealing with sexual assault inside the family for the second time in my life. First, it was my sister and I being molested by our stepfather; and now I am dealing with my own husband violating my oldest daughter. It is my understanding that if sexual assault is brought up to any doctor, officer, therapist, etc it MUST be brought to the authorities.

We are in a very tough situation, and are still struggling with how to handle it. We have been trying to sort it out within our immediate family, but I feel like my (ex) husband won't get the help he needs UNLESS he can speak with a psychiatrist. Unfortunately, that may be the nail in my family's coffin. The "system" really isn't concerned with rehabilitating offenders, only punishing them...

I hope that helps you :)

Confidentiality is pretty strict within a therapy/doctor role. They will keep everything in the strictest confidence unless one of these things happen:

a) You have serious intent to hurt yourself

b) You have expressed a serious intent to hurt others

c) A minor is currently being abused

Everything else is in the strictest confidence. Going to the police is entirely up to you and a good therapist will not try to force reporting onto you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

*Will possibly trigger*

I don't think anyone who didn't report it is responsible if their perp does it again.

I DID report it. Considering the contempt with which the police treated me, ultimately taking his side... I've come to see reporting as generally pretty useless. A lot of my friends who have reported assaults have had similar or even worse experiences with the law, especially those of us who are queer, transgender, disabled, and/or people of color...

Police only seem to take rape reports seriously when there is a) physical, identifiable evidence that the perp is who you say he is, and b) physical evidence of non-consent, such as a date rape drug being present in your system (they leave pretty fast), or signs of a struggle. That means you have to pretty much report a rape FIRST THING after it happens, and how many of us can realistically be expected to do that?

On the other hand a lot of rapes don't result in the kinds of evidence they require. There may not be signs of a struggle. There may not be genetic evidence. That definitely doesn't mean a rape didn't occur.

I think the penal and judicial system is at fault if my perp does it again. I think the culture of disbelief and victim-shaming is to blame if he does it again.

Most of all, I think my PERP is to blame if he does it again.

Not me. And I wouldn't be even if I hadn't reported him, because reporting was ultimately useless.

Disclaimer: Anyone who did have good experiences with the police or successfully got their perp behind bars, more power to you. I do realize that reporting is not useless to everyone.

• 2 months later...

I'm grateful for the fact that having amnesia for years after what happened meant I didn't have to decide whether to report it. Apart from the possible retraumatisation of that, I would have been terrified of repercussions.

Whether someone chooses to report or not is their decision. Only they can know what's best for them to do. No-one else has a right to make any judgement either way.

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, I didn't report him or prosecute or take any legal measures to prevent him from doing this to any other child or anyone else at all.  I didn't, and yes I have felt my share of guilt, for surely the monster didn't stop.  I remember wishing at the time that I could do something to be sure he never hurt anyone else...but I didn't.  I ran....the first chance I had, I up and ran as far away as I could, I got the #### away.<p>HE is responsible for what he does though, and anyone who wants to judge my choices can go right ahead.  No one has walked in my shoes.  I did the best I could.  That's how I feel about it.<p>((((hugs))))

Tasha

I made a report when the stalking started. It was taken lightly, even though when I mentioned the abuser's name, they knew who he was immediately. The whole thing took me by surprise. They knew him, undoubtably by what he has done prior to me. It's a large city where he lives, so I was shocked, but somewhat validated when they knew who he was. Since then him and those who go along with him have been careful of the lines in the sand, they know how far they can go without getting caught. I've dealt with a lot of guilt, because of what the ex before me said about him and young/underage girls, how he basically exposed himself around them in front of her. The only thing that was said when I reported the stalking was "Oh, it's him again" so that pretty much validated a lot since he lives in a large city and they knew his name immediately. I, at one time wondered had I reported the assault if it would have changed anything. I didn't report the assault because he had already ripped my life apart with the assault, games, lies and I was really tired of trying to "prove" what I said. I have no doubt he has hurt others, but that is not within my control. After making the report, I came to the conclusion slowly, but surely that I needed to take care of myself. The PD where he lives knows what he does, and the responsibility for what he did after I tried to report it, lies with him and the PD.

• 2 months later...

How can anyone blame you for not reporting it. I never reported what was happening to me. Who would believe my husband was raping me. I didn't believe it. Must be my fault right? He sure had me convinced. I stayed for 20 years and in the end he left for greener pastures doing me the biggest favor of my life!! Still trying to figure out who I hate more him or me!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm struggling. I was raped last week by a new guy I had been seeing. I actually confronted him about it and he confirmed with humility that he forced himself on me. I'm devastated, heartbroken, scared, and it feels like a horse stomped on my chest. He didn't contact me for a few days and I kept getting flashbacks of how forceful and rough he was and I texted him about it. He said he was sorry and he'd email me and call me and he hasn't. I called him even though I shouldn't have and he didn't answer. He hit ignore and it just validated the miserable feelings. Like being emotionally raped all over again.

I guess I called because I so desperately want to get the trust and safe feeling back. I didn't see it coming. He was kind and emotionally open and everything that my ex before him that also raped me wasn't. We had a heart to heart over coffee two days after the incident when he admitted how he forcefully pushed himself on me and asked why I didn't stop him. I said I was scared and I said no and I resisted and I just froze when he persisted. He expressed his past that involved multiple arrests for violence and substance abuse. I guess the light went off then. I thought he was on the road to healing because of his infinite references to his spirituality and God, his openness and his honesty.

I saw a counselor the day after the rape and just lost it in her office and she asked me about pressing charges. I said I didn't want to call the police because I did last time and I just couldn't relive it. I actually just left a treatment center for an eating disorder and have been sober for 6 months. The eating disorder and substance abuse were how I dealt with the last rape. For two years I just drank my face off to suppress the feelings and the hurt. Right out of treatment I thought I met my knight in shining armour. Then a week and a half ago he raped me after I had several conversations with him about how important it was for me to wait to be intimate. I feel so violated.

I gave my phone to my mom for awhile and have chosen to never contact him again, I'm going back to my therapist next week and I just need some support. So heartbroken....

I'm not sure where to post. I guess a mod can move this where it's appropriate. I just needed to get it out.

Edited by Beautiful

SilentArcher

I didn't report for three years. Oh but think of the paper trail he will have soon! If he does it again, his hand is already in the cookie jar and the lid will crush it. I feel slightly smug that I finally got the courage. But I didn't report at first because I was caught in the eye of the storm and taking care of my immediate needs were important at that time. You can wait, or you can immediately report. It's your CHOICE.

I didn't report it. The man was a stranger to me, to my family. I tried telling my friend, but she thought I was lying. Right now, only three people know. I don't know where he is now, he isn't part of my life anymore, but I am still afraid he will show up again.

• 1 month later...

I was 15 and didn't report it. I was afraid nobody would believe me so I tried to pretend it didn't happen. Then 2 years later I found out he did it to my little sisters friend aswell. I cannot describe the guilt I feel and although I know I'm not responsible for his actions I don't think I will ever be able to fully forgive myself for allowing it to happen to her. God knows how many other girls he's done it to too. If I found out he did it to someone before me I wouldn't blame them yet I won't forgive myself....what a mess :angry:

• 1 month later...

I was just recently molested by a guy I grew up with. He was always so nice and I had liked him for a while so when he started kissing me I didn't fight it. It was only when he started wanting more and getting rough that I started fighting back. I still haven't reported it because i feel like he's going to show ou messages where I was flirting and people are going to think that I wanted it.

I didn't report it. He was my then-partner and I knew I wouldn't be believed then (it happened 15 years ago) - proving it would be almost impossible now, particularly as I've suppressed much of the detail. There was (and still is) absolutely no way I could go through a trial, I just couldn't deal with it mentally and physically.

I still feel guilty - but I know his actions are not my responsibility.

Utmost respect to those who do report and do go to court - you are braver and stronger than I could ever be.

• 2 weeks later...

Report it. Yes. The first time. The police blamed me for what happened even though he was a repeat offender. They had pictures of him spanning several years and different hairstyles and types of facial hair. They never tried to catch him.

The second time. Why? So I could be blamed again. I don't think so.

The third time. No way. I married him. Before we married, he used coercion. On our honeymoon, he would climb and and start while I was still asleep. The one time I told him "No" he choked me and took what he wanted. I never did say no again, about anything. But if it was my fault before, it must have been my fault then as well.

Was my thinking flawed? Oh, yes. Looking back, I should have called the police weekly to see if they had caught him yet. They might not have given up so easily. The second was a pedophile. He deserved to be hung by the privates. My husband? That's over, too. And he still says he is innocent.

Am I to blame for the first one's repeats. No. It was his choice to enter homes for the purpose of assaulting women. If anyone is to blame other than him, it is the system that allowed him to continue when he had a long time history of unlawful entry with assault.

The second. No. But I wish I had reported him anyway.

The third. He never had to use force again. After choking me to near unconsciousness, and telling me to never tell him "no" again, I never said no again. But having sex to prevent violence is not the same as consensual sex. Took me years to figure out I had been raped for decades.

Edited by threetimes

i didnt report and have felt guilty off and on about it but i knew i wouldnt be believed for several reasons.

i am really glad to see a topic like this.

I didn't report it. I wish I would have said something sooner to somebody. May be I would have started to heal sooner if I had done so.

• 4 months later...
:angry::angry: I don't and am not reporting it because I don't feel I need to and because I am making my own choices...for myself. I am angry that the hospital tried to make me I ma angry that no one really understands why other than my boyfriend though I think he still wants me to cause he keeps asking why not?so here I am saying it again I don't need to I don't want to and I am not going to!!! Would someone just please take that seriously?

• 10 months later...

I understand. I was raped by someone I know in 2004. I have been on and off talking to a therapist with the va. They evidently submitted me for ptsd sexual trauma without warning me first. I felt betrayed but yet still had to relive everything. I blanked out on the name of the person who did this to me and later figured it out. My husband found out I can still press charges on the man and said I should make him pay. I can talk to close friends and family about it but not very well with others. I dont want to be scrutinized about it or judged. I know I could have been smarter about my decisions back then and how I handled it. I cant change the past. I cant handle the judgments on my poor decisions I do it on my own still. No one will change my decision it is mine alone the one thing I control.

• 8 months later...

I reported it gave me testimony cops decided to close my case, dismissed me. A few months later he did it again on the news worse than before. Cops got investigated and interogated becuase they were there when the woman got badly hurt

I used to feel guilty about not reporting till I realized that reporting is a very hard thing to do it takes alot of strength and courage a d it doesn't always give you what you need or what society needs. But if that's what others need for closure I say to ahead fight the good fight and I hope that they get good cops am detectives who aren't judgemental or ignorant about abuse.

When I get more strength I am going to presue my case a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't report it because it was my biological father. It went on for 5 years. My mother and him are still together.

• 1 month later...

I relayed the events to police after he was charged with raping another woman; I felt that her assault was my fault. I knew that pressing charges would most likely lead to me being dragged through the mud for years, only for him to be let off the hook due to insufficient evidence. At the end of the day it was his word against mine. I looked back and wished that I had gone to the doctors or the police when the physical signs were still there, now it's too late.

I don't fear that he will abuse other women, I know he will. I wish I could somehow protect others, but I don't know how. It torments me.

I didn't report it because I was a 7 years old child and my mother didn't believe me. After she called me a liar, I didn't report it because I felt like maybe I really was a liar and I'm too scared to do it now, even as an adult. I feel like no one will believe me, because as she put it, I "don't have any proof."