MagMill

Problems with Pandys

23 posts in this topic

I've put this in the Help section too but does anyone else have problems when they're typing out a (sometimes very long) reply and suddenly the site just reverts back to the thread menu and you lose everything you've just put everything you've got left, into?

I was just replying to people who spent time and effort in responding to a topic I'd started. It was a really long post granted, but I lost it all and, right now, I'm in tears because I feel so frustrated and angry - and I don't have it in me tonight to try and do it all again, I'm also upset though because it'll seem that I haven't bothered to respond to these kind members.

I love Pandy's but right now I hate it too!

oohhh my yes. It drives me absolutely nuts!

I've started copying my posts before hitting post. Though I forget and then it does it! ACK!

You're not alone.

OH. I thought it was something that I did; my computer was the problem. I guess it is a different problem.

I to thought it was something I did or my computer. Glad to know it wasn't me

haha...happens to me all the time, I thought it was my computer too!

This happened to me once or twice as well

this happens to me when my internet connection cuts in and out. If I have a stable internet connection, when I am at home an on my faster wifi, I have no trouble. However when I am on my phone or on a restaurant wifi, I can't count on my post saving and then I do lose it. It really isn't anything with the Pandy's servers, but it is on the internet side with however we are connecting to the site.

Sadly,

Patricia

I'm going to move this to the Questions forum, as it will get lost in here. Can everybody who reports experiencing this problem please clarify exactly what is happening - i.e. are you talking about getting an error message when you post, or a server not found message - or are you saying that when you are in the middle of typing something, the browser suddenly goes back a page and loads a list of topics in a forum (e.g. in My Voice).

Your clarity and detailed response on what exactly is happening regarding this will help a great deal if we need to submit a ticket to IP Board.

1 person likes this

This happens to me too. I've taken to tiling Notepad with Pandy's to write a post so the post isn't lost.

Kate, for me it's when I'm typing a long post or taking my sweet time writing one. It only happens when using the quick-reply box. The page somehow refreshs and goes back to the main board with the full list of forums. It's almost as if I've clicked on the link to go back to the main board, but I know I havent. I know I haven't selected it with Tab either. Maybe it's some kind of auto refresh either on Pandy's or my/members internet.

Sometimes after I've hit post, the page goes back to the previous page I was on and the post is lost. Again using the quick-reply box.

(((((MagMill))))) It is really frustrating when this happens.

Edited by Brehiri

Hi Kate

No, I don't get an error message or anything like that. I am literally typing and all of a sudden the screen just goes back to the topic menu. Clicking "back" (effectively) at this point does nothing as what I've typed has already been lost.

I appreciate that those running Pandy's aren't programmers. I do get that, but surely there isn't a "time out" in operation on the site? Surely it's realised that sometimes posts are really long - and even with the short ones, it can take a LOT of time to be able to actually put the words on the screen.

A lot of the time making the decision to post something - particularly if you've started a post - or even if you're responding to someone else's question/post, is a really tough thing. Then you start typing and that is really tough to do - seeing it in 'black and white' so to speak. Then to lose it?? Sometimes it can put you over the edge - and that's no exaggeration!!

Anything that can be done to sort this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Hi MagMill,

No, I don't get an error message or anything like that. I am literally typing and all of a sudden the screen just goes back to the topic menu.

I'm fairly certain this is what Kate meant by "back" - that your browser is somehow automatically reverting to the main page or topic menu. How incredibly frustrating this has to be!

No we don't have a "time out" or this would surely have happened to me by now. Have you tried our auto save feature when your partially written message has disappeared?

We'll definitely look into this and see what can be done. I'm not sure if this related to the board at this point. It would be happening on a wider scale if it was, you know? We'll have to check a few things.

I have this issue too sometimes. I blame Internet Service providers.

Hi Susan

As I'd been typing quite a while, I did notice the "autosave" pinged up (technical term lol) a few times, but I have no idea how to access the "save" facility if there indeed is one?

As Brehiri has said though, I'm pretty sure it only happens with the reply box....as far as I can remember.

I'm kind of glad it's not just me it happens to, although sorry that the frustration I feel is also felt by all of you.

Hey MagMill,

There really is an auto save feature. smile.png You should see it after typing for a minute and then every few minutes afterward - it appears as an option "auto saved at xxxx time". If your post vanishes for any reason...say you clicked back on your browser while typing then forward again and your text box is blank - there's a little box that pops up automatically asking if you would like to view the last auto save. Click yes, and your text appears.

Hey Brehiri, I almost always use the quick reply option to post without a problem. Sorry you've been having issues. Using Notepad or Word to save posts is a good thought!

I can't remember the last time I lost one of my lengthy posts. I can leave several tabs open while typing in an open posts for several minutes without losing it. So I'm thinking this is related to what browser you're using. We'll look in to what we can but you might consider changing browsers and seeing if the issue continues.

Hi Susan,

I've only ever seen the auto save working whilst I'm typing. It certainly doesn't pop up offering to view to the last auto save if the screen backs to the menu. Do I presume that only happens if you actually click accidently yourself, not if it just backs on its own accord.

You said that it might be to do with the browser we're using. I've found this same problem on at least two different browsers, so can't be solely down to

that.

I would also say that this problem is definitely putting me off posting on Pandy's just now. Feeling very fragile just now and could really do with the support it provides, but losing the posts just results in me feeling even more isolated, because I feel silenced even on here. Like "something" is telling me that I shouldn't be telling anything on here.

Thanks

Edited by MagMill

Hi MagMill,

Yes, the auto save comes up every so often while you are typing in the text box. If you move away from the text box - go back, go to another page - try clicking inside the text box to see if you can pull up your last saved text.

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues and can understand how losing posts would make you feel more isolated. We haven't been able to replicate this problem and it would be board wide if it involved our software. This is why I suggested switching browsers. If you don't want to try that then I would leave another window open and copy your reply into a word doc or onto notebook as discussed earlier. This way you can still receive the support you deserve without the added stress of lost posts. You could also run a scan on your computer to clean up any possible issues.

I wish there were something else we could do to help but unless you're receiving an error code or this is happening across the board we can't tie it to anything here. This is most likely happening because of something on your end.

Take care,

Susan

how to retrieve auto saved messages:

go back to the topic

click in the quick reply box

click on "View Auto Saved Content" that will show in the lower left corner

saved text will show in a new box

click "Restore Content" to get it into the reply box

Edited by ravel
1 person likes this

Hi Susan,

I'll maybe try using Word or something to type posts first, but as I've said, I've experienced this problem on at least two browsers, so it isn't a browser problem

Thanks

Ravel,

Thanks for that, I've tried that in a "test" post. I can see that yes, it worked, thanks. But it obviously only saves the auto saved content for a short space of time.

Good to know though, thanks!

Magmill

glad i could help :)

i just tried to wait half an hour and it saved that, ill try longer later

Yup- this has happened to me. I press 'post' and 'poof' it vanishes. Most frustrating. It has happened both on my iPhone and my

Computer.

Me, too. It seemed to happen when I try to compose a long reply, though.... Very disheartening, indeed.... I used to use internet explorer, and it happened often. I switched to using Firefox, and I haven't had the problem so far.

Thanks guys for your input.

We can put in a ticket to our software provider, and will wait and see what the feedback may be, and share with you if there is anything identified with the actual software. These things do happen from time to time, on every online facility. Even offline - I can't remember the last time I wrote anything (even in Word) and didn't subconsciously use keyboard shortcuts to select all my text and copy it every few minutes, just in case it is lost or the program crashes. I say that because even if there is an issue with the software that we can raise with IP Board, it's also important to take your own precautions in case of something important being lost, as will happen from time to time - and that's whether it's on Pandy's, Facebook, email, your blog on another site, etc - we can do our best to help, within the resources we have available to us, but we will never be able to guarantee against this kind of thing happening.

I'll submit a ticket now.

If anybody has any further issues in relation to this matter, please use the Help Desk to contact us rather than replying in this thread, with all related information (issue, browser type and version, operating system you use, etc) - it's easier for us to look into and respond to individual issues in that manner. I'm going to lock this thread now for that reason, but please feel welcome to contact us via the Help Desk, we are happy to look into this issues and do what we can to help.

Thanks,

Kate

1 person likes this