How do I quote someone's post?

22 posts in this topic

I see the quote and multi-quote buttons under posts but I'm not quite sure how to use them. I've tried a few different things but can't figure it out.

I see the quote and multi-quote buttons under posts but I'm not quite sure how to use them. I've tried a few different things but can't figure it out.

If you click on the quote button, it automatically puts it quotes (as above) the post that you are quoting.

If you are wanting to quote multiple quotes from different posts, then in the bar across the top of the reply box, there is a quote picture, click on that and in the box, copy and paste what you want to quote.

Oh okay, thank you. I don't know why I couldn't figure that out.

I know this is an old post but I'm still confused sorry.

When you say click on the quote button, do you mean the quote button on the person's post or the quote button within your text box (that speech bubble icon)? It doesn't seem to work for me.

The quote button on the person's post (the one you want to quote) makes their entire message pop up in the "Reply to this topic" box at the bottom of the page. You can then add your own commentary above or below, as well as edit the quoted material if you want.

The speech bubble icon just provides an empty quote-box within which you can type or paste anything you like.

Ok thanks - still not working for me though. Maybe I might try another browser. :)

I know this is an old post but I'm still confused sorry.

When you say click on the quote button, do you mean the quote button on the person's post or the quote button within your text box (that speech bubble icon)? It doesn't seem to work for me.

Hey Joy, Have you worked this out? Your browser should make no difference. Click on "quote" of the other member's text box if you want to quote - it will pop up in a new text box for you to place your comment. Please let us know if you need any help. :)

Hi Susan, I'm not sure. I have tried it just now with your quote - did it work?

Hi Joy,

Sorry you're having a hard time with this.

When you read this don't do anything but click on the word quote in the bottom right hand corner of this post. This post will be quoted and you can add your comment(s) then hit post.

Susan

I also have the same problem!

When i click the quote button on a post it jumps me to this quick reply box but nothing else. I have also noticed I cant Copy & Paste anything and so i cant even copy what i want to quote into a new quote box.

I believe it's an issue with Internet Explorer, as I have had the same problems but only when I use IE. Using Google Chrome is a lot better, I just switch to IE for chat, and use Chrome for the board.

Hey guys,

Snickerdoodle is correct that both of these issues (the inability to "quote" a post by using the quote button, and the inability to copy and/or paste into the text box when posting) are related to Internet Explorer. Specifically, IE11 and IE10 seem to have these issues, not sure about IE9. Chrome and Firefox do not seem to have a problem (at least, I haven't come across it yet!)

Here's a long-winded and long-running thread in a Microsoft community forum of people complaining about these issues, to little avail: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/internet-explorer-11-cannot-use-copy-paste-within/5b4489fc-9208-45d9-ac1d-b027fc494e7d?page=1

I've found a workaround for you though. It's all to do with turning off the Rich Text Editor in the text box - that is what causes this pain-in-the-you-know-what for IE users. Please view the pictures attached - they should hopefully explain the steps for you to help you quote a post.

Step 1:

Click "More Reply Options" underneath your text box in the thread you want to reply to.

post-1216-0-09728100-1446617862_thumb.jp

Step 2:

Toggle the Rich Text Editor off, but clicking the grey button to the top left of the display in the text box. All the other buttons should then be greyed out, rather than coloured.

post-1216-0-66919500-1446617864_thumb.jp

Step 3:

Click the back button in the browser, and then go to the post you want to quote and click the "quote" button. It will now show up in your text box. It includes the formatting to enable you to quote a post, but don't worry - this will not show up when you post your reply.

post-1216-0-10416300-1446617866_thumb.jp

If you want to copy/paste, the same principle applies in that you need to turn off the Rich Text Editor by using the grey toggle box in the top left of the text box (see screenshot for example). Once that is off, you should be able to copy and paste directly into the text box.

Finally, if you want to quote a post but don't care if the header of the post includes the details of who said what you are quoting, or when, you can just manually type in the code - it's easy. Just type [ quote ] quote tags around the words you want to appear in a quote box [ /quote] - however, remove all the spaces in the two quote tags (in the square brackets) - I just put those in so you could see what the code is. When you click "add reply", provided you have removed the aforementioned spaces, it will appear like this:

quote tags around the words you want to appear in a quote box

Hope this helps!

Kate

Awesome Kate! thumbup.gif

Thank you Kate! Will try to sort the problem when i have the brainpower to do so lol

Hmmm sounds all a bit complicated lol

Give it a try - it's not too complicated when you try it out :)

And actually, it's even easier to quote than what I originally said - I got so carried out with figuring out the solution that I totally forgot the formatting display shows up on the 'quick reply' box at the bottom of each thread too - you don't need to go to the full editor to view it. So instead of having to click "more reply options" and toggle the RTE off, then press the back button and click "quote" on the post you want to quote, just do the following:

1. In the thread which contains a post you want to quote, scroll down to the text box at the bottom of the page titled "reply to this topic".

2. Click in the box - this will show the formatting display. Click the grey square icon to the top left of the formatting display - this will turn off the RTE and make all the other buttons (font, size, bold, italics, etc) be greyed.

3. Scroll up to the post you want to quote, and click the "quote" button.

4. The post will show up in your text box, and you can then edit it down as you see fit (e.g. so you are only quoting the relevant sentence/s of a person's post, rather than their entire post.

Much more straightforward!

And actually, it's even easier to quote than what I originally said - I got so carried out with figuring out the solution that I totally forgot the formatting display shows up on the 'quick reply' box at the bottom of each thread too - you don't need to go to the full editor to view it. So instead of having to click "more reply options" and toggle the RTE off, then press the back button and click "quote" on the post you want to quote, just do the following:

1. In the thread which contains a post you want to quote, scroll down to the text box at the bottom of the page titled "reply to this topic".

2. Click in the box - this will show the formatting display. Click the grey square icon to the top left of the formatting display - this will turn off the RTE and make all the other buttons (font, size, bold, italics, etc) be greyed.

3. Scroll up to the post you want to quote, and click the "quote" button.

4. The post will show up in your text box, and you can then edit it down as you see fit (e.g. so you are only quoting the relevant sentence/s of a person's post, rather than their entire post.

Much more straightforward!

OK I'm trying it - did that work?

Yes, it did. :)

1 person likes this

Yay :)

1 person likes this

Yay smile.png

Double yay! LOL