healing quotes

Lauren

pursuinggrace

You do not have to be good. You do not have to walk on your knees for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting. You only have to let the soft body of your animal love what it loves.  Tell me about your despair, yours, and I will tell you mine. 

Meanwhile the world goes on. Meanwhile, the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain are moving across the landscapes, the deep prairies and the trees, the mountains and the rivers. Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air, are heading home again. 

Whoever you are, no matter how lonely, the world offers itself to your imagination, calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting -- over and over announcing your place in the family of things. 

~Mary Oliver

pursuinggrace

“Our need to be "greater than" or "less than" has been a defense against toxic shame. A shameful act was committed upon us. The perpetrator walked away, leaving us with the shame. We absorbed the notion that we are somehow defective. To cover for this we constructed a false self, a masked self. And it is this self that is the overachiever or the dunce, the tramp or the puritan, the powermonger or the pathetic loser.” 
― Maureen Brady, Beyond Survival: A Writing Journey for Healing Childhood Sexual Abuse

• 2 weeks later...
pursuinggrace

“Sweet Darkness”

BY DAVID WHYTE

When your eyes are tired the world is tired also.

When your vision has gone, no part of the world can find you.

Time to go into the dark where the night has eyes to recognize its own.

There you can be sure you are not beyond love.

The dark will be your home tonight.

The night will give you a horizon further than you can see. You must learn one thing.

The world was made to be free in.

Give up all the other worlds except the one to which you belong.

Sometimes it takes darkness and the sweet confinement of your aloneness to learn anything or anyone that does not bring you alive is too small for you.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it. – Tori Amos

13 minutes ago, VirginiaW said:

Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it. – Tori Amos

Beautiful quote Virginia. :heart:

Thank you, @Lou21 , I love the quote too, and it is from Tori Amos, and she is awesome. :)

• 3 months later...
Guest shawniewap
On 1/21/2005 at 10:01 PM, Nataseulta said:

Here are a few more. Sorry if I accidentaly repeated any.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you're going through hell, keep going.

~Sir Winston Churchill

Always do right - this will gratify some and astonish others.

~Mark Twain

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

~Mahatma Gandhi

What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog.

~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Kites rise highest against the wind -- not with it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

(The last one is my favourite.)

-Alex

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. - Anais nin”