healing quotes

Lauren

"If we choose to remain ourselves, full of potential, then we can take whatever happens and redeem it by openness, courage, and willingness to move on..."

~Madeleine L'Engle, American writer

If you don't experience your life, you're not going to come up with solutions for anything. Every intention, every achievement has to come out of dissatisfaction, not serenity. No one ever said, "Things are perfect. Let's invent fire."

~Fran Lebowitz, American writer

"real development is not leaving things behind, as on a road, but drawing life from them, as from a root."

~G.K. Chesterton, English writer

ikariangirl

If only we'd stop trying to be happy, we could have a pretty good time --edith wharton

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are --anais nin

In youth we learn; in age we understand --marie elmer-eschenbach

My favorite right now:

I find sometimes its easy to be myself, sometimes if find its better to be somebody else --dave matthews

Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want

is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.

~Oprah Winfrey

A friend who is far away is sometimes much nearer than one who is at hand. Is not the mountain far more awe-inspiring and more clearly visible to one passing through the valley than to those who inhabit the mountain?

~Kahlil Gibran

Courage consists in the power of self-recovery.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.

~Eleanor Roosevelt

A child's hand in yours-what tenderness it arouses, what power it conjures. You are instantly the very touchstone of wisdom and strength.

~Marjorie Holmes

We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it.

~Thomas Jefferson

ResilientOne90
“If you always watch the demons behind you, then you will never see the angels ahead.”

-Anonymous

Tori Amos said this quote, just to add to it lol

Cassondra xo

Tori is an amazing person.

• 1 month later...

"You did the one thing you're supose to when someone threatens you... You survived."

~Olivia; Law and Order SVU

• 2 months later...

"just because my perp is not capable of loving, does not mean his victim is unloveable"

this was just something that came up in chat, and it was suggested that i put it on here. this was a important realization of me being able to start healing. We are not flawed or unloveable! when i realized this i was able to forgive my perp, not for him but for myself. ~twise

I don't know where this came from but my a good friend wrote it out for me when I was in hospital:

"I want to live with all my memories

Even if they're bad memories

Even if they're memories that only hurt me

Even f they're memories that I'd rather forget

If I keep them and keep trying, without running away...

If I keep trying, then someday...

Someday I'll be strong enough that those memories can't defeat me

I believe that

I want to believe that

Because I want to think that there's no such thing as a memory thats ok to forget"

And some biblical ones:

"It is your own face that you see reflected in the water and it is your own self that you see in your heart" (proverb 27:19)

"A lie has a short life but the truth lifes forever" (proverb 12:19)

"Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you" (John 14:27)

"May God the Lord guide me to safety, may God's angels hide me from harm, may saints gather near me to quieten my fears and all my worries calm" (just a prayer I found)

rinoa x

• 4 months later...

something that I very much love to remember is something my dance teacher told me about dreams. I had defined my dream of pointe so clearly that it hurt when it was broken and she told me that you can't put dreams in boxes, they have to be allowed room to grow and change or else they'll break and you'll have many broken hearts.

it's not really a quote, but it rather is like one.

• 2 months later...

Those are all amazing...thank you to everyone who posted them.

Great Thread! I love quotes and have several on my website.

"It takes but one positive thought when given a chance to survive and thrive to overpower an entire army of negative thoughts" ~ Robert H. Schuller

"Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heal that has crushed it." ~ Mark Twain

"I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning to sail my ship." ~ Louisa May Alcott

"never grow a wishbone, daughter, where a backbone ought to be" ~ clementine paddleford

"no one can make you feel inferior without your consent" ~ eleanor roosevelt

"you may have to fight a battle more than once to win it" ~ margaret thatcher

"i will have here but one mistress and no master" ~ elizabeth I

"the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result" ~ albert einstein

"we teach people how to treat us" ~ dr phil

"i am not a has been. i am a will be" ~ lauren bacall

"in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" ~ albert einstein

"they say that time changes thing, but you actually have to change them yourself" ~ andy worhol

"the future depends on what we do in the present" ~ mahatma gandhi

"anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new" ~ albert einstein

"it is not the strongest of the species that survive, but the one most responsive to change" ~ charles darwin

"sometimes we misuse power by not standing up for ourselves, by being powerless. this is called spiritual slavery" ~ tori amos

"i had to look at how members of victims anonymous could wear badges on their sleeves and hold everyone hostage to their victimisation" ~ tori amos

dora

x

• 4 weeks later...

"turn your wounds into wisdom" -Oprah

• 1 month later...

Here are some of my favourite quotes:

"The longest way round is the shortest way home"-C.S. Lewis

"I am a part of all that I have met"-Lord Alfred Tennyson

"There is no use having an open mind unless you have an open heart"-P.K. Shaw

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right"- Henry Ford

"We must make the world worthy of its children"

"The meaning of life is a life of meaning"

"Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination"

"I am not young enough to know everything"-Oscar Wilde

"What the mind can conceive, the mind can achieve"-Clement Stone

"Either no individual of the human species has genuine rights, or all have the same rights;

and he who votes against the rights of another, whatever the persons religion,

colour or sex, forgoes his own rights"-Marquis de Condorcet

"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you"-Carl Jung

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"

"The best way to predict the future is to create it"

"whatever you vividly imagine

ardently desire

sincerely believe

and enthusiastically act upon

must inevitably come to pass"

"Things do not change: we change"-Henry David Thoreau

"And now here is my secret,

a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly

what is essential is invisible to the eye"-Antoine de Saint Exupery

"I never let my schooling interfere with my education"-Mark Twain

"At the end it is not the years in your life that count, it is the life in your years"-Abraham Lincoln

"They cannot take away our self respect if we do not give it to them"-Gandhi

""Live as if you were to die tomorrow,

Learn as if you were to live forever"-Gandhi

"No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another"-Charles Dickens

"Do not go where the path may lead,

go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Nothing has a stronger influence on children than the unlived life of the parent"-Carl Jung

"The person who doesn't make mistakes is unlikely to make anything"

"Life is too short. Or too long. You decide"

"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them to become what they

are capable of being"-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"The only real mistake is one from which we learn nothing"-John Powell

"Do all the good you can

by all the means you can

in all the ways you can

in all the places you can

at all the times you can

to all the people you can

as long as you ever can"-John Wesley

"What we do for ourselves dies with us.

What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal"-Albert Pine

"Many of us spend our whole lives running from feeling

with the mistaken belief that you cannot bear the pain.

But you have already borne the pain.

What you have not done is feel all that you are beyond that pain"-Kahlil Gibran

"Nothing is so bad that you can't make it worse,

and nothing is so good that you can't make it better"

"Sophie...you are living in a wondrous universe on a tiny planet in one of many

hundred billion galaxies...and you are talking about grades! You ought to be ashamed

of yourself"-Jostein Gaarder "Sophie's World"

"To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid"

"To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world"

"...and forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet,

and the winds long to play with your hair"-Kahlil Gibran

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going"-Beverly Sills

"You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving"-Amy Carmicheal

"If there is light in the soul

there will be beauty in the person

if there is beauty in the person

there will be harmony in the house

if there is harmony in the house

there will be order in the nation

if there is order in the nation

there will be peace in the world"-Chinese Proverb

• 3 weeks later...

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did. ~Newt Gingrich

There is no telling how many miles you will have to run while chasing a dream. ~Author Unknown

Don't be discouraged. It's often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock. ~Author Unknown

The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice that which we are for what we could become. ~Charles DuBois

Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time. ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got. ~Janis Joplin

In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest. ~Henry Miller, The Books in My Life

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, 1954

The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination. ~Marian Zimmer Bradley

Adversity is like a strong wind. It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are. ~Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

That some good can be derived from every event is a better proposition than that everything happens for the best, which it assuredly does not. ~James K. Feibleman

The darkest hour has only sixty minutes. ~Morris Mandel

There is something beautiful about all scars of whatever nature. A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed and healed, done with. ~Harry Crews

I have woven a parachute out of everything broken. ~William Stafford

I'm not old enough to play baseball or football. I'm not eight yet. My mom told me when you start baseball, you aren't going to be able to run that fast because you had an operation. I told Mom I wouldn't need to run that fast. When I play baseball, I'll just hit them out of the park. Then I'll be able to walk. ~Edward J. McGrath, Jr., "An Exceptional View of Life," quoted in Chicken Soup for the Soul by Jack Canfield & Mark Victor Hansen, 1993

Lend yourself to others, but give yourself to yourself. ~Michel de Montaigne

It's me who is my enemy

Me who beats me up

Me who makes the monsters

Me who strips my confidence.

~Paula Cole, "Me," This Fire

Oliver Wendell Holmes once attended a meeting in which he was the shortest man present. "Dr. Holmes," quipped a friend, "I should think you'd feel rather small among us big fellows." "I do," retorted Holmes, "I feel like a dime among a lot of pennies." ~Author Unknown

Sorry this is so long, lol. I love quotes and have quite a collection. I love seeing everyone elses as well.

Take care

Reese

“Some people are afraid of what they might find if they try to analyse themselves too much, but you have to crawl into your wounds to discover where your fears are. Once the bleeding starts, the cleansing can begin.” Tori Amos

• 1 year later...

“I live in a world where the two truths coexist; where both hell and hope lie in the palm of my hand.”

- Alice Sebold

life is what happens when your making other plans."

- John Lennon

In Germany they first came for the Communists,

and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,

and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me —

and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

IF I can stop one heart from breaking,

I shall not live in vain;

If I can ease one life the aching,

Or cool one pain,

Or help one fainting robin

Unto his nest again,

I shall not live in vain.

Emily Dickinson

Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.

Dr. Napoleon Hill

"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."

- H. G. Wells (1866-1946)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Albert Einstien

"The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it."

- George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them."

- Ian L. Fleming (1908-1964)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- "Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.."

-Confucius.

The real wealth is happiness, not money, the real poverty is ignorance, not want of money."

- Buddhist saying.

"A warrior never worries about his fear."

---- Carlos Castaneda

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."

-Confucius

this is my bunch! thanks SO much for all of the amazing quotes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by cattt

• 4 weeks later...

"Two or three things I know for sure, but none of them is why a man would rape a child, why a man would beat a child."

"Two or three things I know for sure, and one of them is how long it takes to learn to love yourself, how long it took me, how much love I need now."

-Dorothy Allison 'Two or Three Things I Know for Sure'

"One man in Brooklyn came to my reading smelling like a gangrenous foot. He had the most disgusting breath, which was made all the more revolting by his lack of teeth. When he spoke, he gummed the words out. 'I wuved wur book.'

But then, look at me. My brain is incorrectly formed, and I'm shaped like a tuba. Plus, I'm an alcoholic, a 'survivor' of childhood sexual abuse, and raised in a cult and have no education. So, really, if you think about it, the only thing that separates me from the guy with the stinky foot and no teeth is a book deal and some cologne."

-Augusten Burroughs 'Magical Thinking: True Stories'

"Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear."

-Albert Camus 'Notebooks'

"Don't wait for the Last Judgment. It takes place every day"

-Albert Camus 'The Fall'

"We accept the love we think we deserve."

-Stephen Chobosky 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower'

"What does it mean to regret? When you have no choice, it's what you can bear. It was death, I chose life."

-Michael Cunningham 'The Hours'

"To go wrong in one's own way is better than to go right in someone else's."

"If he has a conscience he will suffer for his mistake. That will be his punishment--as well as the prison."

-Fyodor Dostoevsky 'Crime and Punishment'

"In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since. 'Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone,' he told me, 'just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.'"

-F. Scott Fitzgerald 'The Great Gatsby'

"Some of us know how we came by our fortune and some of us don't, but we wear it all the same. There's only one question worth asking now: How do we aim to live with it?"

-Barbara Kingsolver 'The Poisonwood Bible'

"Its so hard to hard to forget pain, but its even harder to remember sweetness."

"We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace."

-Chuck Palahniuk 'Diary'

• 5 months later...

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer. Albert Camus

You may trod me in the very dirt But still, like dust, I'll rise. Maya Angelou

If you always watch the demons behind you, then you will never see the angels ahead.

Don't cry when the sun is gone, because the tears won't let you see the stars. Violeta Parra

The soul would have no rainbow had the eye no tears. John Vance Cheney

You must remember this: You are braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. A. A. Milne

She was not defined either by a name or by shameful experience; instead, she was formed by dreams and hopes, by aspirations, by self respect and perseverance. She wasn’t clay in the hands of others; she was rock, and with her own determined hands, she could sculpt the person that she wanted to be. Intensity, Dean Koontz

Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive. Josephine Hart

Rock bottom is good solid ground, and a dead end street is just a place to turn around. Buddy Buie and J.R. Cobb

But then again, maybe bad things happen because it's the only way we can keep remembering what good is supposed to look like. Nineteen Minutes, Jodie Picoult

Sometimes you have to leap and build your wings on the way down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been compiling a list of quotes, have a few good ones....

"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be

strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." Helen Keller

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the

heart." Helen Keller

"Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over. " F. Scott Fitzgerald (this is one of my all time favorites, kind of a pick me up when life gets me down)

"Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean. " Maya Angelou

"I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and

kick ass." Maya Angelou

"Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness." Maya Angelou

"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." Maya Angelou

"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." Robert Frost

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself." Eleanor Roosevelt

"It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness" Eleanor Roosevelt

Laney xxoo

art is not a mirror held up to reality but a hammer with which to shape it. Brecht i think although there's some conjecture.

• 3 months later...

"Confront the dark parts of yourself, and work to banish them with illumination and forgiveness. Your willingness to wrestle with your demons will cause your angels to sing. Use the pain as fuel, as a reminder of your strength" August Wilson

"Each time we face our fear, we gain strength, courage, and confidence in the doing."

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

"I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naive or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman" Anais Nin

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will" Mahatma Gandhi

"For an impenetrable shield, stand inside yourself" Henry David Thoreau

• 4 years later...

I am brand new to this forum. I came here to find how to best help someone I love very much with the hurt she is living with right now. I am also looking for help for myself. I have never in my whole life been so deeply impacted by another person's pain and sometimes it feels like more than I can bear. If someone can direct me to any especially good resources for those who love survivors, I would be so grateful. I also want to offer this quote to all of you because it strikes an arrow in my heart every time I read it.

“It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.

It doesn't interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive.
It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon. I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain!I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it, or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own, if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, to be realistic, to remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul; if you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.
I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, “Yes!”
It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up, after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done to feed the children.

It doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.
It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you, from the inside, when all else falls away.
I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.”

― Oriah Mountain Dreamer

• 2 years later...
pursuinggrace

"Healing doesn't come through denial or avoidance. It doesn't come through wearing a brave smile and pretending that nothing happened. Healing doesn't come through perpetuating the lies of the abuser. Healing comes through embracing the truth." Carolyn Spring