Shannon

Technical FAQ

84 posts in this topic

* My web browser reports "load: class Client not found" error when loading the chat

The "Load class Client not found" error is among the most notorious of Java applet error messages, and can be caused by a number of different problems. Usually, this problem indicates that your web browser has downloaded/cached an invalid copy of our chat software (cache instability or an error in download). Minor network glitches between your computer and the chat's servers can also cause the problem. Ninety-nine percent of the time, the problem can be resolved by emptying your browsers cache (or Temporary Internet Files), then shutting down all instances of your web browser, and trying again. In rare circumstances, a reboot may be required.

To empty your browser's cache using Microsoft Internet Explorer:

1. Click on Tools from your browser's main menu.

2. Select Internet Options

3. Under the General tab, click Delete Files... in the Temporary Internet files section.

4. Important: Shutdown all open instances of your web browser.

To empty your browser's cache using Netscape:

1. Click on Edit from your browser's main menu.

2. Select Preferences

3. Select and expand the Advanced category.

4. Click on Cache

5. Under Set Cache Options:

1. Click Clear Memory Cache

2. Click Clear Disk Cache

6. Click OK

7. Important: Shutdown all open instances of your web browser.

* When I attempt to open the Java™ applet, I see a blank gray box only.

* My web browser reports a "bad magic number" error when loading SigmaChat, RaiderCSS, or ICE

* When I attempt to open the Java™ applet, I see a red checkbox only.

Try emptying your browser's cache first (see above). Remember to shut down all instances of your web browser after emptying the cache (temporary internet files). If this does not work, it is possible that you do not have Java™ installed. Please visit Sun's Free Java Download Site to download and install Java.

* When I attempt to open the chat room, a message appears telling me to install software. What is wrong?

You need to install Java™ support (see above). On most computers, you can simply follow the on-screen directions to have Java™ installed for you automatically by your web browser. If this fails, we strongly encourage you to visit Sun's Free Java Download Site to download and install Java.

* My Macintosh computer is having various problems with Pandy's Chat.

Pandy's Chat is not supported on Macintosh OS 8.x and below systems. Pandy's Chat runs best on OS X when using MSIE, Netscape or Mozilla. When using OS 9 we recommend using MSIE only. Problems have been reported when using the Safari browser.

*I connect to to the internet with AOL, but am unable to login to the Java™ applet.

Do not use the built-in AOL web browser. Instead, use the web browser (usually Microsoft Internet Explorer) that was included with your computer/operating system.

* When I click "Login" nothing happens, or a message appears telling me that it cannot connect, or that I have been disconnected. What is wrong?

First, it is possible that the chat server is down. This is rare, and the server usually returns within 5-10 minutes. Secondly, and the most likely scenario, is that you are using a computer restricted by a firewall; see below:

* I am using a computer behind a firewall, or in a work/education environment. How can I connect?

For Pandy's Chat, you, or your network administrator, will need to allow TCP access. Contact Shannon by PM or email (shannon@pandys.org) for more information. On some LAN firewalls, you may simply set the security setting to "Low" while you wish to use our chat software.

I am still having technical problems. Who should I contact?

Please contact Cathy or Shannon for further assistance. Before doing so, please be certain you have the most recent version of your browser, that you've attempted clearing your cache, and that you have java recently installed.

Note: You must have 10 posts on the board in order to use chat and need to request access from a board moderator. Read the chat guidelines to find out more.

Thank you.

Shannon,

I just joined a few days ago and didn't realize I needed to post 5 times to become active. I wanted to start a topic and I think I was "turned off" Do I need to re-register??

I'm very new to this --I thought I was posting a new topic ---but it somehow got attached to the topic research

Help! I'm dangerous with this computer!

Maria

hi maria,

only chatterators and moderators can start new topics in the chat forum. if you are having a problem with something technical there is a thread you can add on to, or if you have another question that you cant find a good place to post feel free to pm me or one of the other chat mods

Mary

If you are unable to access chat, 99% of the time the problem is with the software on your computer. We can't help you fix it unless you are able to run through some troubleshooting and report to us the results.

To help us help you:

1) Read this post first: http://pandys.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=46078

It contains instructions on how to fix the vast majority of issues prospective chatters have.

2) If (and only if!) you've run through the steps in the above thread, please post here with the following information:

* Confirm that you've completed the above steps - this is very important! Also try running chat in a different browser (if you normally use IE, download and install Firefox, for example).

* Can you access chat using this link? http://client0.addonchat.com/sc.php?id=80092.com

* What Operating System (OSX, Windows XP, etc) are you using?

* Browser Type AND version (found under the Help Menu, About Internet Explorer/Firefox/Etc)

* Any error message you're receiving as well as a description or screen shot from when you try to access chat.

3) Remember that if you haven't posted on the board five times, the chat system will not let you enter.

Thanks for your cooperation - we are happy to work with you to troubleshoot, but since we can't access your computer ourselves we need this information from you in order to help.

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I can't get into chat. I have gone through the steps listed above, to no avail. I have tried it in both IE 7 and Firefox and neither will work. I'm using the latest versions of both browsers and i'm running windows XP. I click on the chat button and the browser simply shuts down - no error msg, nothing so I have no clue what the problem may be. I have tried restarting several times - doesn't help. I have also tried the other link listed but it causes the same problem. I tried shutting down my firewall but that didn't help. I also cleared all the adware/spyware off the computer so it probably isn't that either, though I can't be sure I got it all - so if there's one which might be causing this please let me know and I'll clear it manually.

Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

Lexi

Edited by lexikat

It sounds like a Java script problem... but I am not necessarily the best person to help you with it, but to me it sounds like Java. Can you take a screen shot of what shows up when you click into chat..?

That's just it - absolutely nothing to take a screen shot of. The browser simply closes after I click on the link. It's really weird and normally I'm fairly good at figuring these things out.

Lexi

Weird. Does anyone else know what might cause this..?

I'm curious- does this happen when you try to open other java applications?

If so- it definately isnt chat itself.

That is WEIRD.

Hrm- Did you run a virus scan? You should probobly do that to. Also- reinstalling firefox or IE (I'd say firefox) may help fix the problem... I dunno though.

Try that and see what happens? I'm just throwing guesses out there.

I was going to ask what Moon did, does it do this when you try and use other java applications? I was having a similar problem a few weeks ago, and what happened was when i updated my java, several items in my toolbar pertaining to java had become unclicked, once i checked them off again it started working, but it took me forever to figure out what was wrong with it.

Thanks guys! My machine is free of viruses, as far as I can tell. I run symantec and norton so that shouldn't be the problem, fingers crossed though in a way it'd be easier. I just tested it on another java chat applet and it did the same thing so it's clearly having trouble coping with the java runtime environment. I didn't even think of that ^_^ Well, I will update java and see how it goes! Thanks again!! Lexi

if updating and/or reinstalling Java doesn't work I would try running something (a game, whatever) that's made with flash. If it does the same thing it is probably a deeper issue with your computer and something you might want to take in to get looked at (ie: before it crashes more than a browser window!!!).

I hope updating Java works.

I cannot access chat and I am not able to send PMs to the mods

Hey,

What is the issue you are having with sending PMed to mods? If you click on the drop down menu at the top of the page and then click 'my messenger' that should get you to your PM box and you can send PMs to mods from there! :)

Have you requested access to chat? In order to access chat you have to request access. Check out this post here for infor on how to request access!

Let us know if you need any more help.

Hayley

xx

Hey,

What is the issue you are having with sending PMed to mods? If you click on the drop down menu at the top of the page and then click 'my messenger' that should get you to your PM box and you can send PMs to mods from there! :)

Have you requested access to chat? In order to access chat you have to request access. Check out this post here for infor on how to request access!

Let us know if you need any more help.

Hayley

xx

Anytime I try to send a message to a MOD, including you, I get "The member Hales can not use the messaging system"

I will try PMing you, Randomly.

Wasnt sure where to post this but Ive downloaded internet explorer 9 and now cant get on chat, does anyone know if there are any settings that you need to change on it to use chat or otherwise perhaps its coz I havent been on for ages and perhaps cant go on chat due to that? sorry if this is in the wrong place but I thought it was a technical question!

Taff

Hi Taffy,

Have you tried updating your Java? I'd begin there. If you're still experiencing problems, drop me a board PM and we'll see where we can go from there.

Lyndsie

I am interested in finding out if there is a way to access the chat room by Android smartphone? Any ideas?

Hi zgeist,

Chat isn't available by mobile phone at this time. My understanding is that mobile phones are not able to run java which is needed for access to chat. When the technology becomes available to phones then you'll be able to access chat.

Take care,

Susan

I was wondering about that too. darn it, oh well I'm home more than I'm out so I don't mind just chatting from my laptop.

I'm wondering if the capability of using chat on a tablet like the iPad is available yet? When I try to use the chat feature on the iPad, it looks like it might work, but I get a message that says, "The mobile edition module is not available with this account." Then it shows my user name, a ***** out password section, and an option to remember my password. Any idea if it's a problem on my end or if it's just not available at this time?

thanks!

Hero

Hey GuitarHero,

The simplest way to check would be to try and download java, if you can do that successfully then you may be able to access chat!

Take care,

Susan

To my knowledge chat isn't available because Ipad/pod/I-stuff does not support Java, which is the platform that chat is ran on. Same goes for smartphones.