catcatt

Do the things posted on here show up on google?

10 posts in this topic

Just out of curiousity, are the things here logged by search enginges and what not?

Like is it possible that specific posts, threads, and usernames would show up on google?

I have also worried about that, if you sign in anomously then nothing shows up. I had a few things show up and wasnt sure why but its all taken care of now.

Take care

Sherri

Only what's posted in the public forums can be found on a search engine.

If you're wondering which forums are "public", here's the answer from the FAQ's thread at the top of this forum:

Which forums are public?

Some of the forums on the board are public, which means that anybody can read their content, no matter whether they are registered or not.

Public forums include: Wonderful Threads, Research, The Fun Forum, Board Guidelines, Suggestions, questions, and complaints

Secondary survivors are restricted to the Healing Together, Announcements and public forums.

Also, here is this notice that is pinned at the top of all public forums:

Public forum notice

Please note that this is a public forum open to guests. Your username, the content of your posts, and your homepage (if applicable) will be viewable by non-registered guests. Your signature, profile, and contact info (including email and messenger screennames) will be viewable ONLY by registered members.

So, for example:

You posted this question in one of the public forums. Therefore, non-registered people can see and read the content within this thread, and they can also see our usernames. However, they CANNOT see your profile, signature, or contact information. They also CANNOT see what you've posted in ANY of the private forums(my voice, my story, etc etc)

Furthermore, if you had posted this in my voice on the other hand, only registered members would be able to see what you've written.

I hope this clears things up a bit! :)

Yes it completely does. Thanks. (:

Only what's posted in the public forums can be found on a search engine.

If you're wondering which forums are "public", here's the answer from the FAQ's thread at the top of this forum:

Which forums are public?

Some of the forums on the board are public, which means that anybody can read their content, no matter whether they are registered or not.

Public forums include: Wonderful Threads, Research, The Fun Forum, Board Guidelines, Suggestions, questions, and complaints

Secondary survivors are restricted to the Healing Together, Announcements and public forums.

Also, here is this notice that is pinned at the top of all public forums:

Public forum notice

Please note that this is a public forum open to guests. Your username, the content of your posts, and your homepage (if applicable) will be viewable by non-registered guests. Your signature, profile, and contact info (including email and messenger screennames) will be viewable ONLY by registered members.

So, for example:

You posted this question in one of the public forums. Therefore, non-registered people can see and read the content within this thread, and they can also see our usernames. However, they CANNOT see your profile, signature, or contact information. They also CANNOT see what you've posted in ANY of the private forums(my voice, my story, etc etc)

Furthermore, if you had posted this in my voice on the other hand, only registered members would be able to see what you've written.

I hope this clears things up a bit! :)

STS got it all ;)

If you have a blog, I think by default it can be read by non-registered viewers. Check your blog settings to ensure they are set to what you need.

Yes, it is correct that public forums can be viewed by anyone who visits the board, however, we are able to enact additional restrictions on what search engines can see on our site. They can only view the posts in the Essays & Articles forum, and they can see the online user's list (which is why signing on anonymously keeps your username from being indexed by a search engine). That's one of the reasons why we recommend that people don't use their real names in their usernames if they are trying to maintain privacy.

And, yes, all blogs default to "public" unfortunately, so you have to make sure you change it to "private" if you don't want anyone to be able to view it!

And, yes, all blogs default to "public" unfortunately, so you have to make sure you change it to "private" if you don't want anyone to be able to view it!

Whoa, I don't think I'd quite qued into this one... I went and set mine private. So is it the case that if it's public, that pandys members and the general public can see the entries, or you can set it private - and then only the user can see it? Is there a way for it to be viewable to pandys but not the public?

I'm sorry, I misspoke! Must be my pregnant brain messing things up. :P The default setting for blogs is that "Blog view permissions" is set to "Public" and the check box for "Allow guests to view your Blog?" is checked. To make blogs viewable by only registered members, uncheck the guest viewing box. To keep a blog completely private so that only you can view it, change "Blog view permissions" to "Private." Sorry for the confusion!

I'm sorry, I misspoke! Must be my pregnant brain messing things up. tongue.gif The default setting for blogs is that "Blog view permissions" is set to "Public" and the check box for "Allow guests to view your Blog?" is checked. To make blogs viewable by only registered members, uncheck the guest viewing box. To keep a blog completely private so that only you can view it, change "Blog view permissions" to "Private." Sorry for the confusion!

Ohhh! That's ok! Thanks for clarifying!