MLissa

Thread Labeling Question?

9 posts in this topic

I don't think I understand the rules for labeling a post as triggering.

I was avoiding anything labelled as such, but this morning I had a bad time after reading something not labeled as triggering (but then, I have one fairly obscure trigger). So, I tried a couple labeled posts... nothing. Beyond feeling bad for the person posting, and wanting to help, that is.

So now I'm confused. Before, I would have labeled anything that *I* found triggering. But if I have obscure triggers, then I have to assume other people do, too. I don't want to make people feel bad.

It seems like everyone here has a built-in "trigger alarm", and knows exactly when to label their posts as such. I think I missed that part. :huh:

So I'll just ask. When is it a good idea to warn people about your post?

Since I've not read all the background stories here, I label mine to avoid triggering even just one person, I hope.

For me- as a general rule, i label it triggering if I am putting any details of the abuse in there.

There is no way you can know everyones triggers, and that you can avoid triggering everyone all the time; as you said everyone has different triggers. I've also requested for some posts to be labelled triggering; they included graphic details, and I wasn't ready to hear them, totally threw me off.

So if you're mentioning details, i'd say label it as triggering; just in case... and I'd rather read something labeled as *t* and not be triggered than something not labeled and be triggered.

this is just me, but i hope it helps

Ash

Generally it's a good idea to label if there are any details, talk about SI or SU, or if using real words (using r* compared to spelling the word out). Like the others have said, there is no way to know everyone's triggers. Just use your best judgment, that's all that is really asked :)

Thank you all; I feel better now.

Hey, you're not on your own with not knowning when to put a warning. I just put it whenever I'm writing about something that's upset me. But there is obviously a lot of things that upset some people and not others. I can think of one particular thread that's been going on here for awhile, and triggers me a lot every time I see the title...and yet, no trigger warning. I read the actual post awhile ago and was a mess for days....I really thought there should have been a warning but this person obviously didnt think about what they were saying (I'm sure it's triggered a lot of people).

You seem like a lovely, caring, thoughtful person. You will do the right thing, try not to worry about it too much. We will trust you, and none of us blame each other if we get triggered occasionally...I think it's bound to happen here sometimes.

Take care of you.

Hi Mlissa,

You're certainly not alone with being unsure about whether to label a post as "triggering" or not as it is somewhat subjective, and like you said, what may trigger one person may not trigger another people. Obviously, we all have our own individual, sometimes obscure, triggers, and it isn't possible to be aware of triggers which may be unique and specific to a very small group of survivors. However, there are some general areas that do tend to be more triggering generally, such as posts which contain descriptions related to sex, sexual or physical violence, those with overt religious overtones, or those which discuss suicide or self injury.

If in doubt, its better to put a trigger warning than not. You can clarify what the trigger warning is in relation to so, for example, you could put **Trigger for talk of suicide** or **Trigger for description of violence**. Then people are given a chance as to whether to read on.

However, although we recommend putting a trigger warning on those posts which are more likely to be triggering, its important to remember that we each have a responsibility to take care of ourselves and our triggers. Sometimes its impossible to know what's likely to be a trigger for someone, and therefore if you have certain triggers its advisable to exercise caution when reading posts, especially if feeling particularly vulnerable.

I was glad to see this post, as I am also unsure about what would be considered triggering. This may be a stupid question, but it there a list anywhere of words that people are uncomfortable seeing in their original form? I don't want to hurt anyone, but I don't want to star out my posts so much that they are unreadable.

Hi DTCarter,

It's not a stupid question! I don't know if I have a definitive answer for you. We usually ask people to put trigger warnings for things like self-injury, suicide, eating disorders, swearing, graphic details.

You don't have to star out any words unless you want to. We ask that people not post swears in post titles, but other than that, you can post whatever you want, as long as it doesn't violate the guidelines. Some people choose to star out words because they're not comfortable saying them, but it's all personal preference. There's no way you can ever know everyone's triggers, so we usually stick to the general ones, and remind everyone to take care of themselves as they read the board. Does that make sense? Let us know if you have any questions!

Ash